Fed up with sugar?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no fan of sugar, at least not outside of reasonable moderation. I wholeheartedly believe that it is one of the single most causes of the obesity epidemic.

True, too much sugar will cause obesity and other causes also include: too much fat, too much protein, and too much alcohol.

Don't say alcohol!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no fan of sugar, at least not outside of reasonable moderation. I wholeheartedly believe that it is one of the single most causes of the obesity epidemic.
    @TheAncientMariner
    Curious what would be your explanation of the point made in the video that when sugar consumption falls obesity continues to increase?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

True, too much sugar will cause obesity and other causes also include: too much fat, too much protein, and too much alcohol.

Don't say alcohol!

I'm going to wash my mouth out now! ;)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    You know what is causing the obesity epidemic? Too many calories. I've been overweight since second grade and I am not a sugar fan. I was fat due to too many calories from too much steak, pasta, rice, cheese, etc. The only *one* culprit will always be too many calories, regardless of the source.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Did you watch the video?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

It played a big role in my own weight gain. But looking back on it, it was probably the sugar (and or starches) in combination with fat that did me in -- cake, cookies, pastries, double double coffees etc. Fats have a ton of calories, and although the sweet taste was what was drawing me in, the calories from fat add up quickly. Having identified overconsumption of carbs and fats as being the primary factors in my weight gain, I have to point out the obvious corollary to that; lack of protein and fibre were big factors too. I just didn't get the fullness cues I needed.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I love my sugar and I have never been overweight never mind obese.

Childhood favourite: sugar buttie.
    1 slice white bread
    Lashings of butter
    Sugar on top.
    Served with a cup of milky sweet tea.

Other weird sugar enjoyments
    Tomatoes dipped in sugar
    Lettuce leaves with sugar sprinkled on top then rolled up to eat.

It just ain't the devil.

Cheers, h.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I didn't get fat off sugary things. I always wanted savory/salty stuff. When I used to munch out on food after school in high school, it was always things like buttered saltines or instant mashed potatoes with butter that were my favorites. Oh! And cream cheese on pumpernickel and platefuls of cheese and crackers.

I like sweet stuff more now that I'm older and thin. I have kettle corn almost every night.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

1 slice white bread
    Lashings of butter
    Sugar on top.

Cheers, h.

OMG my mum has always done this and still does! Except she pours the sugar on to a plate, then dips the bread into her tea, then mops the sugar up with the bread.. Apparently it tastes better doing it this way :tongue:

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 that is hilarious. I would try it but I am not sure I could stomach the milky sweet tea anymore.
    Was your mum born in the UK in the late 40's early 50's when there was still some rationing?
    I am from a north of England working class family and that was our 'treat' some evenings. Cake and chocolate were special occasions.

Cheers, h.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch she was born in Germany in 1940. I must ask her where she picked this up from, could very well be from the rationing days, it makes sense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

1 slice white bread
    Lashings of butter
    Sugar on top.

Other weird sugar enjoyments
    Tomatoes dipped in sugar
    Lettuce leaves with sugar sprinkled on top then rolled up to eat.

It just ain't the devil.

Cheers, h.

That's interesting. When I was a child I "made up" this food. I didn't know it was actually a thing!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I replied to this thread without having watched the video first because it felt like TheAncientMariner needed a friend, (he DID say he has no problem with sugar in moderation, not so bad, right?). As to the causes of the obesity epidemic, I can think of many problems over and above high sugar consumption (inactivity comes to mind right away), but I agree with him that for at least a segment of the population, sugar is/was a big factor.

But, what I really came to say was that I sat down and watched the video just now and thought it was excellent. OP, thanks for posting.