Controversial subject

Options
I want to kick start my weight loss it's been a year I had at one point lost 10 lbs. I just lost all motivation so, what I'm wanting is something ANYTHING any suggestions that will help me start the process. Like a supplement. What works? Has anyone out there tried any of them? I think it might get me on track.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is nothing legal and usually requires a syringe to the *kitten*.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, just tighten up your logging and stay at or ever-so-slightly below your calorie limit.

You might also considering adding more exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no need for a kickoff of any sort. The first few weeks of eating in a true deficit garner the biggest losses for 95% of people. The only thing that supplements and detoxes do is lighten your wallet.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    All the commercials make statements to take a supplement along with diet and exercise. In other words, they're worthless and money makers.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Ok. Thanks all. I am commuting to try harder. I don't log on weekends. I find it harder because that's my husbands and my time together. We usually have wine champagne or beer so I let go on the weekends. Anyway. I will try to have a deficit everyday. Some sort of deficit!
  • ttfnweight
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I appreciate the support.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a cocktail or two on the weekend but you can still log breakfast and lunch to stay on track. Also remember to push the water to help with fluid retention from imbibing and over indulging.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I tend to eat low during the week (1200-1300 cals, not eating back exercise), then eat 2000-2500 over the weekend. It averages out to around 1500 a day, which I lose very successfully on. It means I can have all those delicious "I don't care" foods on the weekend and still see losses.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks all. I am commuting to try harder. I don't log on weekends. I find it harder because that's my husbands and my time together. We usually have wine champagne or beer so I let go on the weekends. Anyway. I will try to have a deficit everyday. Some sort of deficit!

Go for a hike or bicycle ride or go kayaking or something with your husband on the weekend ... and then have something special for dinner. :)

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    3 ideas.....
    1) go for a long walk/run/ride on weekends to build up a deficit, if you start your day at -500, that's 4 light beers or 4 glasses of wine
    2) if you feel like the time spent logging on weekends is taking away from your husband time, do it on Thursday. Pre-log everything and stick to it (including drinks).
    3. You can track weekly versus daily and bank calories M-F to use on the weekends
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I want to kick start my weight loss it's been a year I had at one point lost 10 lbs. I just lost all motivation so, what I'm wanting is something ANYTHING any suggestions that will help me start the process. Like a supplement. What works? Has anyone out there tried any of them? I think it might get me on track.

Good rule of thumb for diet/fat loss supplements: If it's legal, it's not effective; if it's effective, it's not legal.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Honest to god, for me, the best "kickstart" to a diet is a big meal-prep day.

If I've been on holidays and had a break from calorie counting, first thing I do is a big day of cooking. Nothing motivates me more than spending 4 hours cooking and smelling how good my meals will be. Then the next day is the start of calorie counting again and I go straight to the freezer for my tasty meals :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    Honest to god, for me, the best "kickstart" to a diet is a big meal-prep day.

If I've been on holidays and had a break from calorie counting, first thing I do is a big day of cooking. Nothing motivates me more than spending 4 hours cooking and smelling how good my meals will be. Then the next day is the start of calorie counting again and I go straight to the freezer for my tasty meals :)

That's a really good point. I think the attraction of a "kick start" for a lot of people is that mental line in the sand where you say "Right, now I'm starting this thing!". It's easy to assume that's going to go along with a supplement, or extreme eating plan but it doesn't have to at all.

Having a planning/cooking/preparation day can be a great "kick start". It makes you feel organised and in control, and motivated to stick with it.
  • ttfnweight
    Options
    Thank you. Those are really good ideas. I'll give em a shot. I just feel like giving up sometimes but today is a new day!! It's never been this difficult for me to lose weight but I'm over 50 now so all that metabolism jazz happens. Anyhow, thanks a bunch for all your suggestions and support. This is a great app.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Not logging on the weekends is a good way to derail all your efforts. If you don't have the time when you eat, try pre-logging or logging afterward. Any logging, even if it's somewhat inaccurate, will give you indicators of when you've gone overboard. Alcohol can easily derail you as well, so simply count how many drinks you have and log it later when you have the time. If you find after the fact that you went way over your goals you'll know the next weekend when to say no and slow down just based on what you did the weekend before. Eventually you'll be able to reign in the overeating on the weekends or at least keep it from negating all your hard work during the week.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What helped me to start is very careful logging and doing some exercise. FEELING better about what I was doing and combining a better WOE with exercise helped my commitment.
  • sunnyloftress
    sunnyloftress Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I rejoined Fitness Pal and was up 16 pounds since when I was logging 2 years ago - and at that point my goal was to lose 9 pounds. I started by setting my calorie goal at "maintain" just to stop myself from continue to go up. Now I can see I was clearly living in gain behavior. While it was at a low rate of gain - less than a pound a month- my math was off. Right now, I'm trying to just send it in the other direction so I stop feeling hopeless about the situation. After logging for 2 weeks, I'm starting to see how I have control over the situation and am getting small amounts of motivation to keep my days results under my goal. While it truly sucks to find myself 25 pound above where I want to be, I don't want it to get to 30 in the next 6 months. At the rate I was going it would. I would be happy even if instead I lost 3-4 lbs in that timeframe and keep going. I can't do the jumpstart thing. I get too anxious and sabotage myself.