IIFYM Blueprint

Options

Replies

• MPD6944
    MPD6944 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    MPD6944 wrote: »
    I originally started this on 10/4. I have been following it and keeping within my macros except for 2 days. I've been drinking between 96 and 128 oz of water a day. Still have not lost weight. I decided to drop down 10 carbs/5 fat yesterday, today I am up .4. I've gained about 1.4 lbs. since starting. I'm at a loss, should I just go back to eating low fat/1200 calories? My stats are 1660 calories - 120 protein - 150 carbs - 55 fat. Any advice would be appreciated.

9 days isn't long enough to say something isn't working. Are you weighing and logging everything? When you log are you using correct entries (no homemade or generic)? That being said given your stats and activity it may be overestimated as high. I wouldn't go down to 1200 calories though. Stick to your macros for at least 4 weeks and then if no change consider reducing.

Actually I miscalculated, I've been doing it since 9/27 so it has been 16 days. I am weighing and logging everything. I only messed up 2 days and didn't it the macros (still didn't really cheat though). My diary is public
  • MPD6944
    Options
    Ok. That's what I thought too but since I paid $47...thought it would be accurate. I put down that I do not have an active job and that I do cardio 2x week and strength training 1x. I'll check into the other calculators

What exactly do you get for that much money...?

Well you fill out a questionnaire and they send you your macros you need to lose the weight. It is called the macro blueprint and if on their website www.iifym.com
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ok. That's what I thought too but since I paid $47...thought it would be accurate. I put down that I do not have an active job and that I do cardio 2x week and strength training 1x. I'll check into the other calculators

Well you fill out a questionnaire and they send you your macros you need to lose the weight. It is called the macro blueprint and if on their website www.iifym.com

That's it?? :huh:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1660 calories sounds like maintenance level calories for someone 5'2"- is that what they gave you? You have to implement a calorie deficit of 250 to 500 calories for weight loss.

Its always hard to tell what people mean when they say they "eat 1660 calories". Sometimes they mean they literally eat 1660 calories a day, sometimes they mean 1660 is the goal they attempt to net each day and most days they are eating 2100 because they exercise.

My goal is 1660 net but most days I'm eating like 2400 because of my activity level. If I came in here and said "I eat 2400 a day and I'm not losing" or I said "I'm eating 1660 a day and I'm not losing" I would get two very different responses.

I think its important to figure out first if we are talking net calories or total calories.

So OP. Is 1660 what you are eating regardless of your activity level or is it what you are trying to net after you take into account exercise?
  • MPD6944
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    1660 calories sounds like maintenance level calories for someone 5'2"- is that what they gave you? You have to implement a calorie deficit of 250 to 500 calories for weight loss.

Its always hard to tell what people mean when they say they "eat 1660 calories". Sometimes they mean they literally eat 1660 calories a day, sometimes they mean 1660 is the goal they attempt to net each day and most days they are eating 2100 because they exercise.

My goal is 1660 net but most days I'm eating like 2400 because of my activity level. If I came in here and said "I eat 2400 a day and I'm not losing" or I said "I'm eating 1660 a day and I'm not losing" I would get two very different responses.

I think its important to figure out first if we are talking net calories or total calories.

So OP. Is 1660 what you are eating regardless of your activity level or is it what you are trying to net after you take into account exercise?

I understand. 1660 is what I'm eating including my activity level. I am going by the macros of 120/160/60 (but I just lowered to 120/150/55). As I read it if I met those macros it equals to 1660. Is this not right?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    nevermind - read it wrong
  • MPD6944
    Options

That's it?? :huh:

Lol yeah. Plus they send email newsletters everyday

• MPD6944
    Options
    The calculator I just did on that same website has this:
    Your BMR Is: 1275
    Your TDEE Is: 1681
    Not sure how I figure this out though - this is why I paid in the first place. I wanted to know how much of the macros to eat
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The calculator I just did on that same website has this:
    Your BMR Is: 1275
    Your TDEE Is: 1681
    Not sure how I figure this out though - this is why I paid in the first place. I wanted to know how much of the macros to eat

If you are trying to lose weight you need to eat under your TDEE.
  • MPD6944
    Options
    I just did another calculator and it says I should be eating 1513 with light exercise of 1-3 times a week. Hmm
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Use your real world data... if you're eating 1660 and haven't lost weight after 4 weeks, reduce your cals by 200... wait another 4 weeks, calculate again....
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've used IIFYM many times without having to pay them to do anything. If you take your TDEE to lose weight you need to eat 250 to 500 under this number to lose weight. Maintenance is TDEE. My maintenance is 2000 a day no matter what activity I do. Now if I become a couch potato then obviously everything changes. To figure out your macros you could just type a search on mfp there are plenty on here who do macros. Also I just looked at IIFYM and they have a free macro calculator. So I'm not sure why you would pay for anything. I believe the most common is 60/30/30. Meaning 60 protein, 30 carbs, 30 fat.
    You also could go by this also if it helps:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html
    Also this is a guessing game. Nothing is written in stone. What may work for me may NOT work for you. I've had to play with my numbers quite a few times to dial in exactly where I need to be. No one or website can predict what will work exactly for you. Good luck :)
  • snoopy176
    snoopy176 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just paid for the same thing on iifym, but my stat are a little different. They said i need to eat 1900 + calories. I know I would not loose weight eating that much, so I did some adjustments. Their recommendations are 130/180/80. I took their percentages and changed to a 1200 calorie and 105/135/27. This is my first week so I am still trying to adjust to the whole macro thing. Having a hard time balancing out everything. Going a little over on the fats and not meeting the other 2.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    First, nobody has a real weight. You have a weight range, and you will go up and down within that range on an hourly basis in response to a ton of variables (sleep, salt, hydration, new exercise, the weight of food processing in your system, etc.) 1.4 pounds isn't necessarily significant, and it will take you a little bit of time to figure out your range to see if that 1.4 pounds is real gain or just a blip. (For example, I was 122 pounds yesterday and 122.6 pounds this morning. That's a normal fluctuation for me and is statistically meaningless). Be patient.

Second, 16 days is nothing. You need to give it more time. Be patient, grasshopper.

Third, what method are you using to measure your calorie intake? I mean, are you eyeballing your food, using measuring cups/spoons, a food scale or a combination of methods?

Fourth, I know that 1660 is your target, but what is your average intake over those 16 days?

It doesn't look like your diary is open; would you be willing to open it?

Honestly, the difference between 1660 and 1513 calories a day is only another 0.3 pounds per week. That's not nothing, but it isn't huge either. I would worry less about your calorie target and more about getting your logging on point. After that, manipulating your calorie target to increase/decrease weight loss is easy.

• MPD6944
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    First, nobody has a real weight. You have a weight range, and you will go up and down within that range on an hourly basis in response to a ton of variables (sleep, salt, hydration, new exercise, the weight of food processing in your system, etc.) 1.4 pounds isn't necessarily significant, and it will take you a little bit of time to figure out your range to see if that 1.4 pounds is real gain or just a blip. (For example, I was 122 pounds yesterday and 122.6 pounds this morning. That's a normal fluctuation for me and is statistically meaningless). Be patient.

Second, 16 days is nothing. You need to give it more time. Be patient, grasshopper.

Third, what method are you using to measure your calorie intake? I mean, are you eyeballing your food, using measuring cups/spoons, a food scale or a combination of methods?

Fourth, I know that 1660 is your target, but what is your average intake over those 16 days?

It doesn't look like your diary is open; would you be willing to open it?

Honestly, the difference between 1660 and 1513 calories a day is only another 0.3 pounds per week. That's not nothing, but it isn't huge either. I would worry less about your calorie target and more about getting your logging on point. After that, manipulating your calorie target to increase/decrease weight loss is easy.

Hmm I thought it was open. I'll try to open it. I've changed my calories on it now to 1530 though but you can see what ive been doing. I use a food scale and also measuring cups/spoons depending on what I'm eating. I just want to at least start losing something to know I'm doing it right
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Yeah at least start there. 1520 is what I'm doing and it includes activity level and exercise - and I'm 2" taller than you.

I don't log exercise into myfitnesspal because my calculations include it.
    Try 1513 and see if you get results and keep doing exercise but do not log it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    At least that's what I would do, but it's up to you.
  • MPD6944
    Options
    At least that's what I would do, but it's up to you.

Thanks!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are using cups and spoons stop. Trust me they are wrong. Measure everything in grams and at the least oz. Log everything even cheat meals/days. Again 16 days isn't enough time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Have you tried entering your stats into mfp? If so, how many calories did it give you.

Bare in mind that MFP doesn't include exercise in its calorie calculation, but I'd still be interested in comparing it's number next to iifym's after you add in your daily average calorie burn.