Trying to get to that 8% body fat goal

Options

Replies

• Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jemhh - my personal opinion is
    If he is 15% BF at 195 lbs. at 5'10 then thats about 29 lbs of fat so to be at 8% he will have to lose say 16 lbs while building muscle to stay at 195 lbs. That would be a tough thing to do. He would be better at bulking more to build more muscle so when he does cut to 8% maybe he would be closer to 195. Trying to cut to 8% while building muscle to maintain a BW of 195 is out of my league. So talk to body builders and see what they say. He did say he likes being 195, but I don't see how you can cut that much and build muscle to stay at 195. So it's a question that I'm not qualified to answer.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If the OP is really 195 and 15% BF - he has some awesome genetics or has been taking illegal stuff to get where he's at. Somebody that is 195 and 15% BF doesn't need help learning to cut - sounds like trolling or your way off on your BF estimation. That's 166lb of LBM and you should have softly defined abs at your current weight, 166lb LBM at 5'10" is pushing the top limit of what is physically possible for a natural bodybuilder.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    B)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    cigarettes will kill you. most disgusting advice i've ever heard

People that lack a sense of humor often suffer from high levels of stress. Chronic stress can lead to.cardio vascular disease and even death. Laugh once in awhile, it might do you some good.

cigarettes can be a great stress reducer
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Age matters a lot too.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Also, realize that staying at 8% year round is not comfortably sustainable for many/most guys.

I wouldn't say most. Many is probably fine.
    I was around 6% from birth to about 22 years old. I feel really fat at 14% right now.

Actually, I would say that most is pretty accurate...I'd say that most men outside of there 20s have a pretty difficult time "living" at 8%...they have to be extremely diligent with their diet and exercise...most guys I know in their 30s and 40s who get that low don't stay that low all year...they do it for a period of time for either a competition or they have a vacation planned, etc...but most of those guys "live" around 10-12%. For myself, at 42, 10-12% is fairly easy to maintain without being a total diet nazi...getting below about 10% and staying there pretty much requires very strict adherence to a pretty boring diet, not to mention, no parties and alcohol.

Yeah, when I was in my teens and early 20s, 8% was pretty much my natural state and didn't have to do much to maintain that...it changed a bit as I aged...as you age, the body naturally holds onto more body fat and is more reluctant to get rid of it in terms of being super lean.

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »

People that lack a sense of humor often suffer from high levels of stress. Chronic stress can lead to.cardio vascular disease and even death. Laugh once in awhile, it might do you some good.

cigarettes can be a great stress reducer

No doubt. I miss my cigarettes. Going outside for a breath of fresh air just isn't the same.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    B)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just recomp for a while. See where it takes you.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Does anybody realize @Rage_Phish is just doing some good old fashioned trolling? lol

Yeah, must be a teenager!
  • skeeder2011
    skeeder2011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok so no I haven't been refeeding. I'll try that though and see if I have any results.
  • skeeder2011
    Options
    So since your into competition, what's a normal walking around % for you before and during a competition?
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for a few days then resume cutting.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    edited October 2016
    Options
    5'10 195 lbs 15% BF are you a crossfitter? Lol, pics or it's not quite true. Damn spider monkeys...Okay, now you can say I'm being funny.

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think the OP would be better off on bodybuilding's misc forum.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options

there's nothing fun about cancer
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options

People that lack a sense of humor often suffer from high levels of stress. Chronic stress can lead to.cardio vascular disease and even death. Laugh once in awhile, it might do you som

But I'm sure you'll have a laugh when you'll get that diagnosis
  • skeeder2011
    Options
    I'm 28 yrs old and I do have softly defined abs and some what of good genetics. My body fat % was measured by a professional trainer @ 15 %. There's no trolling going on I'm just trying to get into the best possible shape I can before it gets to hard to do
  • cwolfman13
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 28 yrs old and I do have softly defined abs and some what of good genetics. My body fat % was measured by a professional trainer @ 15 %. There's no trolling going on I'm just trying to get into the best possible shape I can before it gets to hard to do

Just keep cutting...like I said before, you're at a healthy BF% so it's just going to be a really slow process. Cut slow and get in there and lift and lift and lift...embrace the process.

As you work through the process you will be able to determine what is worth what and what you're willing to do and how far you're willing to go...the whole thing is a process and many of us have been there.

I personally can't do it, but that's because I'm simply not willing to eat a really boring diet and I like beer too much...I'm happy being relatively lean, healthy, and fit and still being able to enjoy myself...your mileage will vary...that said, I'm also not a body builder so having a chiseled sixer didn't do much for me...I'd rather have an actual sixer...
  • cwolfman13
    Options

there's nothing fun about cancer

776.jpg

It's sad that I have to actually explain this to you...but Rage_Fish was just joking...not actually recommending smoking...it was a flippin' joke!!!

aee.jpg
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Options
    I'm 6'3 255 and I have a 2 pack, lol. I'm a power lifter not body builder. I tried for a while but couldn't maintain the weight at 220. Went from 270 to 220 in 4 months, nothing but grilled chicken and spinach salad. Eggs for breakfast, no sweets, low carbs. Got down to 16% lost some strength. I'm not a science freak for nutrition or dieting. Wish I was but hey it is what it is. I'm okay at 240-255. My BF% is up to 25% now. Good luck Skeeder.