Can cardio be strength training?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Anyway to get back to the original question....
    In my experience - yes.

When I was training for a 100 mile cycle I stopped all weight exercises for my legs (but continued for upper body).
    My cardio and leg work was rowing, lots of cycling (obviously!), Spinning, elliptical.

When I completed the cycle and returned to weights my quads were both bigger (by tape measure), leaner (visual) and stronger (increased leg press by 30lbs). Weight unchanged as I was at maintenance.

PS - what a shame there can't be a sensible discussion without people getting into a willy waving contest between the cardio and strength camps.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    here, here, this thread went to HIHB about as quick as the rest around here ...LOL...
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Firstly, good on you for pushing your comfort boundaries when you are exercising! That's awesome and so rewarding!

From wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_training

"Strength training is an inclusive term that describes all exercises devoted toward increasing physical strength. Weight training is a type of strength training that uses weights rather than elastic, Eccentric Training or muscular resistance to increase strength. Endurance training is associated with aerobic exercise while flexibility training is associated with stretching exercise like yoga or pilates. Weight training is often used as a synonym for strength training, but is actually a specific type within the more inclusive category."

So you are sort of right. Resistance training being the broader term and weight training falling somewhere in there... :wink:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    here, here, this thread went to HIHB about as quick as the rest around here ...LOL...

I know right?

It seems that people can't ask a simple question any more without it getting into a "Cardio vs Weights Weights Are The End All Be All If You Don't Lift You're WRONG brah!!" kind of argument. (for the record I actually do both and I *gasp* do my cardio BEFORE I lift! Bring on the flaming).

Chill out people.

At least there were a few who DID answer the OP's question and for that we thank you.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Firstly, good on you for pushing your comfort boundaries when you are exercising! That's awesome and so rewarding!

From wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weight_training

"Strength training is an inclusive term that describes all exercises devoted toward increasing physical strength. Weight training is a type of strength training that uses weights rather than elastic, Eccentric Training or muscular resistance to increase strength. Endurance training is associated with aerobic exercise while flexibility training is associated with stretching exercise like yoga or pilates. Weight training is often used as a synonym for strength training, but is actually a specific type within the more inclusive category."

So you are sort of right. Resistance training being the broader term and weight training falling somewhere in there... :wink:
    Thank you! Right now I am doing mainly cardio for weight loss. I know that I can lose weight with weight training, but I do not trust myself to do it properly without some guidance, and for now the cardio is helping with weight loss. I want to look into weights in a month or two, but for now I was just hoping that I was at least toning some.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I know right?

It seems that people can't ask a simple question any more without it getting into a "Cardio vs Weights Weights Are The End All Be All If You Don't Lift You're WRONG brah!!" kind of argument. (for the record I actually do both and I *gasp* do my cardio BEFORE I lift! Bring on the flaming).

Chill out people.

At least there were a few who DID answer the OP's question and for that we thank you.

And if you can't squat 200 pounds on a kettle ball without a spotter you are A FAILURE AS A HUMAN BEING!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

I know right?

Chill out people.

And if you can't squat 200 pounds on a kettle ball without a spotter you are A FAILURE AS A HUMAN BEING!

:sad:

I suck then.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Anyway to get back to the original question....
    In my experience - yes.

When I was training for a 100 mile cycle I stopped all weight exercises for my legs (but continued for upper body).
    My cardio and leg work was rowing, lots of cycling (obviously!), Spinning, elliptical.

When I completed the cycle and returned to weights my quads were both bigger (by tape measure), leaner (visual) and stronger (increased leg press by 30lbs). Weight unchanged as I was at maintenance.

PS - what a shame there can't be a sensible discussion without people getting into a willy waving contest between the cardio and strength camps.
    Thanks! That is helpful. I have not measured (I should) and wasn't sure if I was just imagining a difference.
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    NO! Not to be harsh but the purpose of cardio is to get your heart rate up and keep it up for a long period of time. Cardio means heart and when doing cardio you are working your heart. Strength training can raise your heart rate but it is not kept up for a long period of time. Strength training is training to gain strength. To do this you must use heavy weights and work in small reps to failure. VERY different from cardio. Both are important to your body losing fat! But they are not the same
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    In some ways, yes it can! If I run trails rather than on a flatter surface, am I building strength in my legs? Yes! If I bike hills and have to stand up to push harder to get uphill, am I building strength? Yes! Once I started doing those, I noticed a big difference right away, especially in my thighs and butt. So, yeah, imo, YES it can be!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I know right?

Chill out people.

owl-facepalm.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    NO! Not to be harsh but the purpose of cardio is to get your heart rate up and keep it up for a long period of time. Cardio means heart and when doing cardio you are working your heart. Strength training can raise your heart rate but it is not kept up for a long period of time. Strength training is training to gain strength. To do this you must use heavy weights and work in small reps to failure. VERY different from cardio. Both are important to your body losing fat! But they are not the same

Strength can be gained from many methods other than heavy lifting. And lifting weights can improve cardiovascular health, so is "cardio".
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    [
    According to this logic sitting in a sauna is cardio... O.o

Strength can be gained from many methods other than heavy lifting. And lifting weights can improve cardiovascular health, so is "cardio".
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define strength. If you define strength as the ability to run for 10 miles, then yes, cardio will build strength. If you are talking about being able to lift a car, then no, cardio is not going to build strength.

Since I started running my legs have gotten quite large and very well defined. However, if you put me next to a body builder I would look like a stick. I can maybe squat 100 pounds but I can run for 10 miles without stopping. It depends on how you define strength. I decided a while back that marathon runners are stronger than body builders so that has been my focus but others will almost certainly disagree with me on that. Its all about perspective and personal opinion.

Wow. This whole post saddens me. Physical strength and endurance are not even close to being the same thing. It's not even a matter of opinion or perspective. It's science.

We can talk all day about the mental fortitude required to run 26.2 miles without stopping or to sit on a bike for 12 hours, but that is not the same thing as the raw strength of a powerlifter. I'm not saying the latter is superior, more important, or more relevant than the former. I'm saying you're trying to compare apples to bananas.

Also, your legs didn't get bigger from running.

And I don't care what your goals are, if you're a grown man who can't squat more than 100 lbs, that's a problem.

Thank you. You saved me a rant. :laugh:
  • phjorg1
    Options
    Are u building strength?? Or just improving existing endurance?? I'm sure you could go up a hill before. Just for not as long. That's not a strength gain then..
    In some ways, yes it can! If I run trails rather than on a flatter surface, am I building strength in my legs? Yes! If I bike hills and have to stand up to push harder to get uphill, am I building strength? Yes! Once I started doing those, I noticed a big difference right away, especially in my thighs and butt. So, yeah, imo, YES it can be!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Sitting in a sauna would not be cardio exercise, because it's not exercise.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Are u building strength?? Or just improving existing endurance?? I'm sure you could go up a hill before. Just for not as long. That's not a strength gain then..

If the reason you can go up the hill longer is that you now have stronger muscles it's strength gain. Endurance is often the result of gaining strength.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Ye gods! I'll admit I didn't read every post but there seems to be some misunderstanding and side taking here. Even a little bit of shouting down people who have the science spot on!

Yes, you can certainly experience hypertrophy whilst undertaking cardiovascular exercise. That is because specific muscles are lifting your whole body weight, if you are running, lesser % if not - that is also why resistance training is the correct term for weight training.

Your majority energy system will be aerobic, so the greatest gains will be cardiovascular. But your anaerobic systems will also be contributing, so any cv session is, to some degree, also a resistance session. Again, for example, you will be lifting your body weight when running.

So some muscles in your body will get bigger if you run - the fast twitch muscle fibres mostly, but also the slow twitch ones. If you work them they adapt and that adaptation for both types is hypertrophy - getting bigger. A muscle of any type that gains cross sectional area carries a greater number of mitochondria, stores of ATP, etc. This is happens in all muscles, including the heart. It is the point of training. Without it there would be no point in moving, let alone training.

Basically, there is no way of training to use only one energy system. There is no way of training specifically in one manner, only aerobic or resistance. Whenever you move you use differing ratios of all three energy systems and so are always working both CV and resistance.

Even sat here typing, my whole body is working aerobically but specific muscles in my fingers and arms are working anaerobically, some are lifting my hand, a finger, applying pressure to keys - resistance training for tiny type 2 muscle fibres.

You could even argue that it doesn't matter how you train - if you want to get fitter - just find what suits you.... and do it!
  • phjorg1
    Options
    And lifting is not cardio exercise either. Its atpcp and lactic acid exercise..

Also, you clearly do not understand the differences in strength vs endurance. Going longer is not strength. Increasing strength does not increase endurance..

Sitting in a sauna would not be cardio exercise, because it's not exercise.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does a log of bike riding and no other exercise. Over time, his legs have gotten HUGE from climbing hills. He looks hilarious because his whole upper body is skinny. Of course cardio resistance builds muscle. But not all your muscles.