Kitchen Scale Necessary?

Options

Replies

• Baddogbeanie
    Baddogbeanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I love my scale! I weigh, tag and bag all my portions after gorcery shopping so I can just grab and go. It also allows me to mix things up proportionately as well.. Do it!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think scales are very important, especially in the first few months of your journey. I wouldn't be without mine.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I think it matters a lot more for people who eat a small number of calories. In otherwords whether that "medium" apple is 100 grams as it states on the MFP listing or the 180g you find it to be when you actually weigh it will make a bigger difference in terms of percent to someone who has a 250 calorie deficit eating 1200 calories a day than it would to someone who has a 500 calorie deficit eating 2400 calories a day.

I think it matters more for people who don't understand it's all an estimate. If you know that then it really doesn't matter what the numbers are since you make adjustments according to your results.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    I think it matters a lot more for people who eat a small number of calories. In otherwords whether that "medium" apple is 100 grams as it states on the MFP listing or the 180g you find it to be when you actually weigh it will make a bigger difference in terms of percent to someone who has a 250 calorie deficit eating 1200 calories a day than it would to someone who has a 500 calorie deficit eating 2400 calories a day.

I think it matters more for people who don't understand it's all an estimate. If you know that then it really doesn't matter what the numbers are since you make adjustments according to your results.

It matters more for those of us who like to be accurate with our "estimates". If trying to accurately judge calories didn't matter, this whole food database would be useless.

Not useless at all. But not necessary either - which is good to know since circumstances change and what works today might not be feasible later. It's good to have options!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Necessary? How necessary is weight management to you? I consider a scale a 'tool of the trade'.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Baxie23 wrote: »
    So I have been logging for a little over a month. I've made a lot of progress but I am wondering if I should get a kitchen scale. Right now I rely on measuring cups to portion out food. Is that adequate or will I have better success with a scale?

Thanks!

It isn't necessary but can be very helpful to have a food scale. They are inexpensive and easy to use tools.
    If you stop losing at the rate you want I would definitely consider investing in one. Accuracy can become more important as you have less to lose.
    But no it is not necessary to weigh food. Logging food isn't strictly speaking necessary either. Both good tools for some of us though.
  • jayeless
    jayeless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've found it very useful to have a scale - I discovered I was actually overestimating some things and cheating myself out of calories (and my goal is only 1200!). For example, according to the packaging, a serve of the mozzarella cheese I buy is 35g. So I assumed that the amount I sprinkle on my pasta was 35g... when I got my scale, I discovered that my usual amount was actually more like 20-25g.

To be fair, there were other things I was underestimating (e.g. the amount of milk I put in my coffee), but overall I felt I was allowed to eat MORE when my accuracy improved. So I recommend a scale.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Love my scale.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    If you want to be accurate you'll need a scale. If you have a lot to lose and accuracy isn't that important right now you can do without.

this is the only answer this thread needs

X2. Wasn't until I got lighter where a scale really helped dial things in further and has been key in helping maintain since losing all the weight.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I never weighed food (or measured either... I eyeballed everything when I did log. Haven't logged in ages now). Got to goal weight (right in the middle of "normal" bmi) no problem and have been there for three years now. Any "stalls" or slow downs along the way were readily explainable (high sodium meal, high carb meal, etc). If you are getting good results without weighing, you don't necessarily need to start, just keep in mind that if you find yourself struggling, the first thing people here will advise you to do is to start weighing your food.

Long story short - right now it is up to you; later you may, or may not, find it necessary. Good luck!
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

daniip_la wrote: »

It matters more for those of us who like to be accurate with our "estimates". If trying to accurately judge calories didn't matter, this whole food database would be useless.

Not useless at all. But not necessary either - which is good to know since circumstances change and what works today might not be feasible later. It's good to have options!

Very good observations there, Ala. No surprise that they flies over some people's head.

Anytime there are more options and flexibility to have, it's a good thing!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I agree that it's all an estimate anyway. My calories out just can't be measured accurately.

I use my scale a few times a week but I don't use measuring cups that often either. I prefer to eyeball and then occasionally verify. It just seems more sustainable to me.

I also like to use hunger as a gauge still.

• katkearro
    katkearro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a very small caloric deficit that I follow for weight loss (petite sedentary female). I have discovered that eyeing a 1/4 cup of nuts (or any other high calorie item) as opposed to weighing them can eat into this restriction and slow weight loss. YMMV
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I will be the odd one out and say I have good results measuring, but it really depends on the person I guess.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Used a scale for years. Still can't eyeball portions. Scale all the way.
  • tkirby2605
    tkirby2605 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i use mine maybe 3 or 4 times a week. very useful since many nutrition info labels show serving size by weight, not fluid ounces in a measuring cup. (weight ozs are not the same as fluid ozs). control those portion sizes! WalMart has a great one for under $15.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    I never weighed food (or measured either... I eyeballed everything when I did log. Haven't logged in ages now). Got to goal weight (right in the middle of "normal" bmi) no problem and have been there for three years now. Any "stalls" or slow downs along the way were readily explainable (high sodium meal, high carb meal, etc). If you are getting good results without weighing, you don't necessarily need to start, just keep in mind that if you find yourself struggling, the first thing people here will advise you to do is to start weighing your food.

Long story short - right now it is up to you; later you may, or may not, find it necessary. Good luck!

This!