Kitchen Scale Necessary?

Options

Replies

• FittingintoMe
    FittingintoMe Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's definitely helpful in the beginning. As you continue to prepare your meals you'll need the scale less and less as you'll start eyeballing your items more accurately.

If you don't want to guess your calories definitely get it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's definitely helpful in the beginning. As you continue to prepare your meals you'll need the scale less and less as you'll start eyeballing your items more accurately.

If you don't want to guess your calories definitely get it.

Not always true. I have been doing this for many years and I still weigh and suck at eyeballing.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It really depends. In all honestly, people generally lose more weight using a scale because it doesn't give them the opportunity to underestimate their portions sizes, hence a scale is more accurate. But sometimes, you don't always want accuracy. You kind of want that little extra bit of cheese without feeling too guilty.

I used to eat 1200 calories a day & track my calories religiously. I was so obsessed with my food scale, body scale and tracking calories though. It became an unhealthy habit. Plus I was losing just over 3lbs a week, when I was barely overweight. It's not healthy. Sometimes we forget that one of main reasons for losing weight is to become healthy. Anyway, I only use a scale occasionally now and I still lose 2.5lbs a week so a scale is not really a necessity, especially if you're already eating quite low cal.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    It really depends. In all honestly, people generally lose more weight using a scale because it doesn't give them the opportunity to underestimate their portions sizes, hence a scale is more accurate. But sometimes, you don't always want accuracy. You kind of want that little extra bit of cheese without feeling too guilty.

I used to eat 1200 calories a day & track my calories religiously. I was so obsessed with my food scale, body scale and tracking calories though. It became an unhealthy habit. Plus I was losing just over 3lbs a week, when I was barely overweight. It's not healthy. Sometimes we forget that one of main reasons for losing weight is to become healthy. Anyway, I only use a scale occasionally now and I still lose 2.5lbs a week so a scale is not really a necessity, especially if you're already eating quite low cal.

I don't understand what exactly is so "unhealthy" about weighing food. :huh:
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

The part about losing 3 pounds/week when barely overweight? Not the weighing part. (Though for some people's brains, the weighing could lead to obsessive behaviours, and those people shouldn't weigh. Not because weighing is bad; it isn't. But because where it leads them is bad.)

I'm a scientist. I love numbers and information. I love my scale.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It depends. Are you getting the results you want with your current way of doing things? If yes, then no, a kitchen scale isn't necessary right now. It might be in the future as you lose weight.

If you you are not losing using your current method, then probably you should use a scale and it will help. However, keep in mind having a scale isn't the only thing you may need to change. Other examples could be logging dedication, using correct entries, cheat days, or whatever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me getting a scale resulted in me eating more and losing at a more appropriate rate (I was still quite fat, so around 2 lb/week and not 3 lb). More significantly, it allowed me to loosen up some restrictions and realize I could fit in a greater variety of foods. AND, bonus, it was much more convenient and easy for me than trying to estimate or using cups (which I would never normally use when cooking anyway).

Now I rarely log, but I still might weigh to spot check or when cooking since it's a good way to measure anyway. Plus I always weigh out pasta and oatmeal and ice cream, since it's just a habit now and I like to eat specific amounts of those foods that I know is plenty from past experience, but my eye isn't always good at estimating.
  • z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    Options

Imho, its unhealthy in the sense that it can create many negative emotions, like guilt, failure etc. It can also create destructive/negative patterns.

• SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »

Imho, its unhealthy in the sense that it can create many negative emotions, like guilt, failure etc. It can also create destructive/negative patterns.

It can also create positive emotions. It can help provide confidence that you're on track and that you know what you're doing. It can provide comfort that you're not overestimating or underestimating. It can give satisfaction that you know exactly what you're putting into your body.

Yes, any of those *could* be taken too far. But, for most people, they won't.

I do not see how a scale could possibly make you feel guilty. It gives you the chance to change your mind about your portion size before committing to it.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

The part about losing 3 pounds/week when barely overweight? Not the weighing part. (Though for some people's brains, the weighing could lead to obsessive behaviours, and those people shouldn't weigh. Not because weighing is bad; it isn't. But because where it leads them is bad.)

I'm a scientist. I love numbers and information. I love my scale.

That's not what was said... It said "unhealthy habit". I don't understand because I have used a food scale for more than just weight loss, for baking it's pretty integral. People can become obsessed over anything.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

How does a food scale create negative emotions?? Weigh food, eat it, log it, move on.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Its a tool, not something that is supposed to beat you over the head and cause you pain and discomfort..

To answer the question i best know how, if you a have a lot of weight to lose you can get away with out needing it. A person can do the eye balling, hand fist method, just eating less, etc.. The less weight you have to lose, the more it may become important.

I did not lose weight with out it. I spent about 4 months in turmoil before I got mine. It is a game changer and moreover its a tool to be used with the app that can get you as accurate of a diary. Having your "data" right can be very helpful when trending your weight loss, etc.

eta: I really do not maintain well with out it and I need it to help me with my fitness goals as well.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

How does a food scale create negative emotions?? Weigh food, eat it, log it, move on.

This.

It's data to be used in your arsenal of tools for keeping a calorie deficit and tracking accurately. I've never once experienced guilt or failure due to weighing my portions. I've never experienced those emotions for being out to eat and having to estimate without my scale, either. Knowing that I'm being as accurate as possible at home means that I can afford to estimate for certain occasions, and that actually makes me feel better.

I could see why it would be an issue for someone with an ED, perhaps, but for most people, it shouldn't be an issue.
  • z4oslo
    Options

It can also create positive emotions. It can help provide confidence that you're on track and that you know what you're doing. It can provide comfort that you're not overestimating or underestimating. It can give satisfaction that you know exactly what you're putting into your body.

I do not see how a scale could possibly make you feel guilty. It gives you the chance to change your mind about your portion size before committing to it.

Do a search for "guilty" on this site and you have the answer.
    It also lead to some strange behavior for some people. Like "saving calories" to be able to fit in alchohol, and some even promote this idea to others. Thats how drunkorexia became a thing.

Counting calories makes people feel they are in control again, but if you take away the scale and or the app, how much control is left?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

It also lead to some strange behavior for some people. Like "saving calories" to be able to fit in alchohol, and some even promote this idea to others. Thats how drunkorexia became a thing.

Counting calories makes people feel they are in control again, but if you take away the scale and or the app, how much control is left?

But this is a calorie counting site... :huh:
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Options

Why would I take it away?

Am I not on a calorie counting site, and am I not supposed to count calories here..? I must be in the wrong place, but wait, it works..

eta: point me to where you saw this.. curious.. "drunkorexia became a thing" here in MFP?.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    For me, I never would have made it to my goal without my food scale. So it is completely necessary for me.
  • z4oslo
    Options

Is it?

Certainly, its an app/site where you CAN log everything if you want to, but its also a site to share thoughts, experiences, make virtual friends, exchange recipes, read blogs, get fitness tips and anything in between.
  • z4oslo
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Im not gonna answer everyone here. I do get that most people on here rely on calorie counting, and its obvious that anyone that does, will defend their way of dealing with weight loss, weight gain or just maintaining.

I can see that it can be a handy tool if you want to track some things that are important, like sodium intake, or if you are building muscles and want to track the protein.

But that dosnt mean you have to track everything down to the gram, always - forever.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Is it?

Certainly, its an app/site where you CAN log everything if you want to, but its also a site to share thoughts, experiences, make virtual friends, exchange recipes, read blogs, get fitness tips and anything in between.

But this thread is now derailed and off topic. The question was is a kitchen scale necessary?

You input was no.. point taken.