Sick of being fat

Options
124»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...My husband decided he was going to actively help this time around on my weightloss journey and he's found he isn't eating some of the crap he used to because he doesn't want to log it...and that says SO much...

OMG, hilarious! That is SO me! Sometimes, if it's too much of a hassle to log, I'll just skip the snack altogether or opt for something quick and easy to log off my frequent foods list. (The frequent foods list has mostly nutritious snacks, like fruits, vegetables, small portions of nuts, etc.) :D

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Ok. I've made a list of things I need so I can eat healthy foods while on the road. Since I travel often and never know what kind of hotel I'll be staying in, what ammenities they will provide, I'll need-

Scale
    Peeler
    Cutting board
    Large cooler
    Spoon
    Fork
    Knife
    Tupperware

Then all I have to do is buy groceries, yogurts, veggies, fruits, and ice. It'll be a pain transporting it but I won't have to eat out, that will save me tons of money and calories. I read tons of posts in the health and nutrition forum and now have a list of good for me foods to buy too. I feel a lot less hopeless, thank you everybody!

Glad to hear it!

I noticed a lot of Mountain Dew in your diary. I love love love ice cream. But these calories do not fill me up and so are counter-productive to my weight loss goals. I eat a lot less ice cream these days, and in much smaller serving sizes. I suggest you rethink your consumption of empty calorie foods like Mountain Dew. If it's the caffeine you're after, you can get it in other forms for far less calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I just want to eat like a normal person. Realisticly, I'm not going to "work out". I'm tired, I have to many other things to do, and I'm often in pain from a bad back.

I can try to move every hour, get at least 10000 steps a day and make healthier choices when I eat. That's all I got time for. My diet has to match my families diet. I'm not buying and preparing special meals for just me. I'm to the point where I eat to get rid of the pain in my stomach or head, or sometimes because I'm bored. I hate dealing with food, I don't even care if I drank a protein shake for every meal and never ate food again. I'd still gain another 40+ lbs by next year. And frankly, I'm sick of being fat. Sick of feeling like crap. Sick of trying to find time for the gym. It's not as simple as having a calorie deficit. I stopped eating what they gave me for my calories burned over a week ago. Most days I have a deficit.

I and many other posters here eat the same as our families. My SO has larger portions (he's a foot taller). I eat more protein and veggies and less carbs because protein and veggies fill me up better.

I think 10,000 steps is a great place to start. You don't actually need to exercise to lose weight - you can create a calorie deficit simply in what you eat. I exercise because I feel better, sleep better, and am more energetic and productive when I do it regularly. (I'd also be miserable without the extra exercise calories, but this is not true for everyone, especially for people who do not use a food scale and are actually eating more than they think.)

I've had to make a lot of accommodations for my back - there are things I avoid in the gym and things I add to my routine at home for it. I don't want to derail this thread with that - if you want a robust discussion on back issues, maybe start a new thread dedicated to that?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Ok. I've made a list of things I need so I can eat healthy foods while on the road. Since I travel often and never know what kind of hotel I'll be staying in, what ammenities they will provide, I'll need-

Scale
    Peeler
    Cutting board
    Large cooler
    Spoon
    Fork
    Knife
    Tupperware

Then all I have to do is buy groceries, yogurts, veggies, fruits, and ice. It'll be a pain transporting it but I won't have to eat out, that will save me tons of money and calories. I read tons of posts in the health and nutrition forum and now have a list of good for me foods to buy too. I feel a lot less hopeless, thank you everybody!

Great list! Grocery stores that have a prepped food counter provide plastic utensils, so you may not need to take your own. Most stores sell "baby carrots" that are already peeled. Don't know if you check luggage, but travelling with a knife isn't as easy as it used to be. Could you use zip lock instead of Tupperware?

Best to you!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Scale
    Peeler
    Cutting board
    Large cooler
    Spoon
    Fork
    Knife
    Tupperware

Good, I wish you the best of luck and hope you start to see improvements in your health. It is possible to lose the weight, you can do it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    When/if you decide to incorporate exercise back into your routine make sure to check out Fitnessblender on YouTube. Lots of different types of workouts (for free), many need no equipment (you can usually tell by the title of the video which ones don't need weights) and are pretty quick.

All you need is something to view them on (laptop, iPad, phone..) and a little floor space. Perfect for traveling and when you can't get to the gym.

It isn't essential to weight loss to work out but I find it helps me feel more healthy & happy when I exercise regularly, especially if I do it first thing when I wake up the rest of my day is better.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    Here's the thing... You literally won't gain fat if you are truly eating at a deficit. So if you are gaining 40 lbs a year, you ARE eating too many calories. You mentioned you don't use a food scale. I guarantee THAT is your problem.

40lb = 40X3500 = 140000 calories/365 days = 384 calories/day over maintenance. That's not a huge number of extra calories each day but over the period of a year it adds up.

When I had 75+ pounds to lose, accuracy didn't matter. Now that I'm maybe 15 pounds from my final goal, weight loss has come to a stop. Which means I need to be more scrupulous about weighing and measuring everything.
  • HezGriffin
    HezGriffin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stress from long hours, night shifts, etc is an uphill battle... you may want to consider a new job with normal hours

Yes, stress Will keep the weight on...I was freaked out and felt trapped in my stressful job. It was so on my mind 24/7 that even when I could sleep, I didn't, exhausted...I was taken from that job on a stretcher. Just a severe panic attack (I have a beautiful daughter n husband) and thought...SCREW THIS. I didn't go back! Two wks notice from the hospital. We can have less money for a min - I'll basket-weave but nothing is worth sacrificing my health. Nor yours! What do you love? Find ANY job with less stress and maybe no travel. IF you cannot see your way to do that? Use meditations on YouTube...check your thyroid. Make sure you're getting magnesium and iodine and eat CLEAN. Bless you
  • amandavgomez
    amandavgomez Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stress from long hours, night shifts, etc is an uphill battle... you may want to consider a new job with normal hours

Yes, stress Will keep the weight on...I was freaked out and felt trapped in my stressful job. It was so on my mind 24/7 that even when I could sleep, I didn't, exhausted...I was taken from that job on a stretcher. Just a severe panic attack (I have a beautiful daughter n husband) and thought...SCREW THIS. I didn't go back! Two wks notice from the hospital. We can have less money for a min - I'll basket-weave but nothing is worth sacrificing my health. Nor yours! What do you love? Find ANY job with less stress and maybe no travel. IF you cannot see your way to do that? Use meditations on YouTube...check your thyroid. Make sure you're getting magnesium and iodine and eat CLEAN. Bless you

Well I love my job. I love to travel. I like meeting new people. I sit a lot and on the road I work a lot but overall I don't stress about work.

I like the V8 Splash I think it is, it has fruit. But regular V8, eee. I like baby carrots. I love cucumber too but hate the peel. I love eating salads but only with ranch dressing so I need something to keep my ranch and salads cool. I love fruit yogurts, I know they aren't actually the best but i love them. The only protein bar I've been able to swallow is Quest PB&J. I know, I'm such a finicky eater. I would rather just starve then eat something I don't like though. I love Mt Dew. Used to drink like a 24 pack a week or faster. No joke. I will drink some if there's no bottled water because they have a boil order here right now and at home I drink it to get rid of migraines. I think i get headaches when i need caffine or sugar.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Diet Mt. Dew? It's good. You can save a bunch of calories drinking this.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Try the Builders Bar by Clif - way better than those awful quest bars. Best one is chocolate mint, tastes like thin mint Girl Scout cookies :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Ah! A sweet tooth. I'm pretty sure if you find single serve ranch dressing packs it will keep better than you think. I bet you will like the drinkable fruity yogurts.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    For ranch dressing, one of my favourites, try the Bolthouse. It is yogurt based and comes in at 25-30 cals per 15ml.
    I found switching to that, rather than a low fat, much easier. I also love their cilantro avocado.

Cheers, h.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options

Scale
    Peeler
    Cutting board
    Large cooler
    Spoon
    Fork
    Knife
    Tupperware

You should only need a small cooler - is that what we in Australia call an esky??

I think getting a travel set of the implements you list and keeping them in the cooler is a workable plan - except, as someone said, a knife may not be allowed on flights.

One of those cheap disposable plastic knives might be though, you know the ones you get in picnic sets - and they are good enough to cut fruit and veggies.

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    No fad diets, supplements, fancy containers.

Walking, more veg and fruit and protein such as lean chicken, tuna, eggs. Walking. Walking. I cut out breads because they just make me more hungry. Complex carbs stuck with me better. Steel cut oats. Walking...

Tried smoothies for a week, but when I checked my logging, the morning smoothie was taking a third of my calories for the day and I was starving by noon, ready to eat a limb off by bedtime. They work for some, but me.

A food scale helped me see my portions were way off..... that really got my weight loss started.

I'm the smallest I've been since about age 12. I'm 60 now. I wish I had found MFP and my friends here, years ago. But really, I needed to be sick of being fat first. I think you've got the first step in hand. Now to just figure out which foods and activities work for YOU!

Good luck. I'm in maintenance now, but you can add me as a friend if you'd like. I'm on here everyday.
  • donnamt2016
    donnamt2016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've found green smoothies with chia seeds a miracle, blood pressure is down to normal, weight is falling off at a nice steady rate. I aim for 17000 steps a day and I eat boiled eggs and fruit as snacks instead of chocolate and crisps. I do weigh what I eat too and meals could be healthier but one step at a time for me or id give up I love my pizza and red meat too much.
    started at 127kg drinking daily and not moving. now I'm sober and half way to my desired weight, I've managed to not join a gym too...

I know you can do it if you stay focused and know this is a life change not a diet :)