Losing 4-5 pounds /week?

Options

Replies

• ItsMariii
    ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I respect your percentages and all of that but listen weight loss is not the same for everyone. Can you accept that? No?
    So do you suggest that she stops working out? Or just eat more even if she isn't hungry because the excess fat that she already has stored in her body isn't enough to keep her healthy?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    OP, I put your stats into a BMI calculator and see that you are only 4 lbs away from moving from obese to overweight. It is indeed time to slow down the weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ItsMariii wrote: »
    I respect your percentages and all of that but listen weight loss is not the safe for everyone. Can you accept that? No?
    So do you suggest that she stops working out? Or just eat more even if she isn't hungry because the excess fat that she already has stored in her body isn't enough to keep her healthy?

What? Do you mean weight loss is not the same for everyone?

No, she simply needs to start eating more to sustain a more reasonable deficit. End of story. ;)

At the most, she's only about 45 pounds overweight. http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    OP, I put your stats into a BMI calculator and see that you are only 4 lbs away from moving from obese to overweight. It is indeed time to slow down the weight loss.

Absolutely!
  • ItsMariii
    ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    People who are considered obese lose a lot of weight rather quickly with a small caloric deficit compared to others who are already in a healthy weight range. She says that she is still obese. The chances of organ failure and all of these other health issues listed in this thread are more likely to happen to her the longer she holds on to the unhealthy weight putting more strain and work on her body. Not the other way around.
    She also says that she doesn't purposely want to slow down her weight loss in the future. Not that she would do something drastic or insane to keep it going once she reaches near a healthy weight.

You still don't answer that you've read the entire thread. OP is netting negative calories. In no way, shape, or form is that healthy, no matter how obese. And you do realize that how she is approaching weight loss now is how eating disorders start, correct? I'm not saying she will develop one, but to assume she will stop drastic matters is dangerously encouraging her.

Finally, I've read the whole thread.
    Well hey, I'm sorry for having faith in her that she has enough sensibility to not develop an eating disorder from the excitement of dropping weight rather quickly compared to general guidelines . In no way would I want someone to become unhealthy for example seeing her reach 140 lbs and still seeking to lose 4lbs per week.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Also honestly I don't think I had much muscle to lose, lol. I was very flabby and completely sedentary. My walking has built more muscle than I had before, undoubtably. I probably should add in weights so thanks for that, but not sure how to do so. I'll look into that...

Yes, please look into adding more protein to your diet and doing some strength training. It is nearly impossible for you to be building a significant (if any) amount of muscle when you are eating at a large deficit and experiencing rapid weight loss like you are. So don't think that you have more muscle than you did before. You likely have less already.

The best you can hope for is to try to hold on to as much lean mass as possible while you are losing weight. Some loss of lean mass will happen when we lose weight, but we want to minimize it. Having more lean mass helps us burn more calories at rest, it makes us stronger, and it looks really good. If you get to goal and you've lost too much lean mass you're probably not going to be as happy with the results. Focus on getting to goal in the healthiest, most sustainable way possible for the best, longest-lasting results.

It's best to have your weight loss diet resemble your permanent, maintenance diet as closely as possible (with fewer calories of course.) Otherwise, when people switch to a different way of eating once they hit goal, they tend to regain and then some. Glad you're here and open to seeking advice. Good luck, OP!

• SLLRunner
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    People who are considered obese lose a lot of weight rather quickly with a small caloric deficit compared to others who are already in a healthy weight range. She says that she is still obese. The chances of organ failure and all of these other health issues listed in this thread are more likely to happen to her the longer she holds on to the unhealthy weight putting more strain and work on her body. Not the other way around.
    She also says that she doesn't purposely want to slow down her weight loss in the future. Not that she would do something drastic or insane to keep it going once she reaches near a healthy weight.

You still don't answer that you've read the entire thread. OP is netting negative calories. In no way, shape, or form is that healthy, no matter how obese. And you do realize that how she is approaching weight loss now is how eating disorders start, correct? I'm not saying she will develop one, but to assume she will stop drastic matters is dangerously encouraging her.

Finally, I've read the whole thread.
    Well hey, I'm sorry for having faith in her that she has enough sensibility to not develop an eating disorder from the excitement of dropping weight rather quickly compared to general guidelines . In no way would I want someone to become unhealthy for example seeing her reach 140 lbs and still seeking to lose 4lbs per week.

What? Develop an eating disorder from not having enough "sensibility"? I don't even know how to respond to this.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

OP is barely obese (195 at 5'7" is a BMI of 30.5). One more weekly loss of 4 lbs will put her in the overweight category. She is going months between doctor's appointments, so is not undergoing the close monitoring that a VLCD requires (and if she's losing 4 to 5 lbs a week, that's a 2000 to 2500 calorie daily deficit -- I don't know how she can be achieving that with 45 minutes of walking unless she's on a VLCD).

The only comments she's been open to are the ones that encourage her in continuing on this massive daily deficit. Doing so isn't really helping her.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

OP is barely obese (195 at 5'7" is a BMI of 30.5). One more weekly loss of 4 lbs will put her in the overweight category. She is going months between doctor's appointments, so is not undergoing the close monitoring that a VLCD requires (and if she's losing 4 to 5 lbs a week, that's a 2000 to 2500 calorie daily deficit -- I don't know how she can be achieving that with 45 minutes of walking unless she's on a VLCD).

The only comments she's been open to are the ones that encourage her in continuing on this massive daily deficit. Doing so isn't really helping her.
    1) when I said I didn't purposefully want to slow things- of course I don't mean if I'm damaging myself or whatever. Just that if I'm doing the recommended calories and the pace is quicker - is that ok? (Consensus here is no, it's not ok- I've heard you)
    2) 1200/day is NOT a VLCD!! It is the number mfp has given me, and probably THOUSANDS of other dieters, to stick to.
    3) I have already thanked a lot if the posters for suggestions, like eating the 200-250 exercise calories from my walking. Didn't realize that was such a massive deal but I'm open to it. I didn't consider that a "massive daily deficit". I'm sorry the math doesn't add up for everyone, but that was part of my questioning too. I've reported accurately what I'm doing.
    4) just because I don't endorse every single comment here doesn't make me have an eating disorder!! The disordered eating was more happening sedentary on the couch binge eating in front of the tv just a couple months ago.
    5) I'll have my dr weigh in on my "chances of organ failure".

• NewGemini130
    Options
    And yes I know I'm "barely" obese, I am totally tracking my BMI. I started at 230 though. I'm also quite far from healthy BMI, which is 159 at the top end, which is my initial goal.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

1) when I said I didn't purposefully want to slow things- of course I don't mean if I'm damaging myself or whatever. Just that if I'm doing the recommended calories and the pace is quicker - is that ok? (Consensus here is no, it's not ok- I've heard you)

The "recommendation" is not a recommendation, it's a maths formula spit out based on the info you give and is the floor amount of calories without exercise for females. You are far more active than you are allowing

2) 1200/day is NOT a VLCD!! It is the number mfp has given me, and probably THOUSANDS of other dieters, to stick to.
    You are not netting 1200. And it is a VLCD in your case otherwise your rate of loss would have slowed after first few weeks not months

3) I have already thanked a lot if the posters for suggestions, like eating the 200-250 exercise calories from my walking. Didn't realize that was such a massive deal but I'm open to it. I didn't consider that a "massive daily deficit". I'm sorry the math doesn't add up for everyone, but that was part of my questioning too. I've reported accurately what I'm doing.

The maths doesn't add up for anyone. That's the beauty of maths. It's not subjective. And in terms of weight loss 2 months of data is sufficient to give a good CICO formula. You are netting -1500

4) just because I don't endorse every single comment here doesn't make me have an eating disorder!! The disordered eating was more happening sedentary on the couch binge eating in front of the tv just a couple months ago.

You need a Registered dietician

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    OP, I have also been losing at a rate that most here would fuss at me for but I am also a guy who started at over 300 pounds and who does a lot of weight lifting and cardio. I still weigh a lot more than you do. I eat zero junk food, nothing but lean meats, veggies, fresh fruits, and some whole grains. I am also currently adding calories to my diet. I don't treat the recommendations here as hard and fast rules. I think most things are situational. I think your calorie deficit should be weighed against how much nutrition you are taking in and how much fat you have to utilize. Even though I am one to push the limits and go against the grain, I highly suggest that you exercise caution. 4-5 pounds a week is a HUGE calorie deficit for a woman your size and, IMO, relative to how much you are eating. Personally, I would up the calories and be sure you are eating quality foods. I would also recommend incorporating some type of resistance training to help preserve lean mass.

You didn't gain the weight overnight and you don't have to lose it overnight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    But I am following the mfp recommendation which suggests 1200/day (to lose 2/week) based on my info I've put in there. I know some people override that. So I'm my situation am I supposed to go over each day to slow it down? Also I don't eat the exercise calories, but the walking only gives me like 250 or so.

Also I am NOT under repotting. I measure and track everything.

If you are not eating your exercise calories, you are not following MFP's recommended goal. Period, end of story.

I didn't know that was "required"! Honestly. I've seen people recommend eating half, etc. Sometimes I eat back the walking calories, sometimes not, based on hunger. I'll think about that one.

If you aren't going to eat back your exercise calories you might want to figure out your actual TDEE with an outside site TDEE calculator. Then subtract 1000 calories a day from THAT total to lose 2 pounds a week.

I think you are burning more calories than you realize. You might be able to lose more quickly at first, but you should aim to slow down to 2 pounds a week.

When you get to within 50 pounds of goal you can change it to 1 pound a week loss. You are going at this a bit too aggressively unless your doctor is monitoring and supervising you. 1-2 pounds a week loss can safely be done without doctor supervision.
  • SLLRunner
    edited October 2016
    Options

If you are losing 4-5 pounds a week, you are eating way under 1200 calories. You are not accurately tracking, or you are accurately tracking and doing maasive cardio and not eating any of those calories back. In this instance, you are indeed eating a VLCD, otherwise you would not be losing weight so quickly.

If you are 100% that you are accurately tracking, then you need to get to the doctor ASAP.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    I do know it will slow down once I lose more, just wondering if there's any reason to not keep doing this (other than everyone says so). So, actual reasons.

As for the calorie math above- I don't know either!! But Probably it is usually more like 4-4.5, sometimes 3.5 per week; the first week to 10 days When starting I dropped like 8-10 pounds so that is averaging in.

Gall stones are one very good reason, on top of others you have been given.

My best friend lost her gall bladder.
  • NewGemini130
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

If you are losing 4-5 pounds a week, you are eating way under 1200 calories. You are not accurately tracking, or you are accurately tracking and doing maasive cardio and not eating any of those calories back. In this instance, you are indeed eating a VLCD, otherwise you would not be losing weight so quickly

Nope. I have been under some days but it's close (1175-ish) and most days over 1200 but under 1300, usually under 1250. I'm not doing massive cardio, just my 45-50 min walk. Maybe I walk faster than the one I select when I log? That's possible. I basically picked one in the middle. Otherwise I'm human and moving around at home, making dinner, tidying up, doing laundry, etc but that's all regular stuff I did before. And a majority I'm at a desk job.

Also- that 4-5 number is an average over last 2 mos-- I dropped a lot in the first week/10 days - like 8-9#, then it's been 3.5-4.5/week. One week it was 1.5 and it's the week I wasn't able to walk. So 3.5-4 is more the average, not 5.
This discussion has been closed.