Bulking not necessary for significant muscle gains - research out there

Options
I have being doing a ton of research and it's now out there that bulking up is not necessary to build muscle effectively and that you don't need to eat extra....and that what is important is the amount of protein you are taking in.

And that the leaning out phase causes you to lose most of your muscle gains and you are better off not bulking up in the first place.

Experienced body builders...what do you think?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    How would you gain muscle if you aren't in a surplus? Do you have the data to back up your claims? I'm curious to see how you came up with your conclusion.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    I have being doing a ton of research and it's now out there that bulking up is not necessary to build muscle effectively and that you don't need to eat extra....and that what is important is the amount of protein you are taking in.

And that the leaning out phase causes you to lose most of your muscle gains and you are better off not bulking up in the first place.

Only bodybuilders?
    That's not exactly a representative sample!

Plenty of people build muscle without running bulk/cut cycles but perhaps define what you mean by "significant muscle gains"?

What's your goal physique or is this a generic debate?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're after...if you're training you will put on muscle...if you're eating at maintenance more or less, this process will just be slow which doesn't really matter IMO...most people do just fine eating well and training and over time will develop a fitness body...but to actually bulk on substantial muscle like a bodybuilder would, you need to be in a surplus
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I think you took a wrong turn somewhere in your research. Where have you been reading this?
    I usually eat higher protein during my cuts. Sure don't add any noticeable amounts of muscle when I am cutting.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I definitely believe you can gain muscle without being in a surplus, but you'll need to carefully monitor your calorie intake (and keep protein high) and stay at maintenance based on your exercise. There's a catch though, it'll go slower. I've gained significant strength and muscle mass in the last 4-5 months in maintenance. But, it's probably 25% of what I could have gained in surplus. I'm simply not willing to bulk up and have to go back on a cut again. I never wanted to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger anyway. I figure at the rate I'm going, I'll hit my fitness goals in about a year, or by the end of next summer. I'll probably keep up my routine throughout 2017's holiday season and bump it up every holiday season (Nov/Dec) just for good measure but in 2018 I expect to be at 4 to 5 days a week max.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Cutting makes me lose muscle so I am better off not bulking at all?

And building muscle does not take a surplus? Well it depends on what goals are..

I'll bite.. post some links for us to look at?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I definitely did not find this to be true at all.

While it is not for everyone and I think you can make gains eating at maintenance and recomping in time, bulking was the best thing I ever did for my body, and I am doing it again because it works so well for me. It is necessary to reach my goals.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    How would you gain muscle if you aren't in a surplus? Do you have the data to back up your claims? I'm curious to see how you came up with your conclusion.

While there are a lot of variables, it is possible to gain muscle in a deficit, and even more so at maintenance levels. Of course this would depending on having adequate training stimuli and how new you are, adequate nutrition/protein, and genetics. It's just not ideal, and not at the same rate as a person running a bulk.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    This is one of my sources that I can easily find:

https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

• serapel
    Options
    I honestly have no opinion and this is not just for "body builders"; sorry to exclude anyone who is interested in this topic :wink:

I personally find it very difficult to bulk bc I'm so busy and have two kids in school while working a full-time career. I struggle just to get in my 2200 cals a day and throw in a couple of protein shakes.

After reading the research out there, I was curious to see theory vs. real experiences.

I'm an inquisitive person I guess.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I had a body assessment done over the weekend and I'm between 9 and 10 percent body fat. It would be extremely difficult for me to add muscle without eating in a surplus/gaining weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Starting out a 126lbs after high school, I trained hard and ate high protein. The 1st few of months, I gained maybe 2lbs and was stronger but didn't see any significant muscle size anywhere. Then after discussing with a bodybuilder about gaining size, I upped my calories significantly and in the next 6 months packed on about 30lbs. Yes I was fatter too, but you could DEFINITELY see that I put on significant muscle.
    So while it's possible to add muscle at maintenance (if you still have body fat to lose), it's not as SIGNIFICANT as if you do a good surplus.
    Yes you lose some muscle when you cut, but no one can't tell if someone was 126lbs lean, and now is 145lbs lean after a cut, that you won't see SIGNIFICANT muscle gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain significant muscle, a suitable surplus is required. Eating at maintenance may be ok for a slight recomp effect but it is both slow and does not yield noticeable results.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

What is of primary importance is your training - without muscle stimulus you don't get growth, that's where it starts.
    Diet (calories and protein both very important of course) simply support the normal process of recovery/repair/growth.
    As Eric Helms puts it - diet is permissive.
    If you don't have the time to eat enough then I guess you don't have time to train effectively either - bulking would just be a way to get fat in that case

The "leaning out phase" really shouldn't result in very significant muscle loss if you do it properly.
    Losing weight leads to a very likely loss of lean mass but muscle is only one component of lean mass (everything but fat effectively).

If you want real experiences then read the recomp thread....
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

As kwtilbury shows people are at very different stages compared to their potential so what is applicable for some would be the wrong choice for others. Some people also simply respond differently to deficit/surplus/maintenance (as the Bret Contreras article touches on).

I'm too old with too many training years to add muscle quickly so can't effectively use a calorie surplus so my choice is recomp.

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Contreras there is contrasting recomp, clean bulk, and dirty bulk. All 3 are very different things that will have very different results. They suit different people depending on the individual's goals.
    Recomp limits you to your current weight. A person with low body fat who wants to gain muscle will have to do a bulk of some sorts. I went from 150 lbs at my adult height to a peak of 230 lbs because I wanted to be as big as possible. Recomp could not have gotten me there.
  • serapel
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Starting out a 126lbs after high school, I trained hard and ate high protein. The 1st few of months, I gained maybe 2lbs and was stronger but didn't see any significant muscle size anywhere. Then after discussing with a bodybuilder about gaining size, I upped my calories significantly and in the next 6 months packed on about 30lbs. Yes I was fatter too, but you could DEFINITELY see that I put on significant muscle.
    So while it's possible to add muscle at maintenance (if you still have body fat to lose), it's not as SIGNIFICANT as if you do a good surplus.
    Yes you lose some muscle when you cut, but no one can't tell if someone was 126lbs lean, and now is 145lbs lean after a cut, that you won't see SIGNIFICANT muscle gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Very good point!!
  • serapel
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

What is of primary importance is your training - without muscle stimulus you don't get growth, that's where it starts.
    Diet (calories and protein both very important of course) simply support the normal process of recovery/repair/growth.
    If you don't have the time to eat enough then I guess you don't have time to train effectively either - bulking would just be a way to get fat in that case

The "leaning out phase" really shouldn't result in very significant muscle loss if you do it properly.
    Losing weight leads to a very likely loss of lean mass but muscle is only one component of lean mass (everything but fat effectively).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

As kwtilbury shows people are at very different stages compared to their potential so what is applicable for some would be the wrong choice for others. Some people also simply respond differently to deficit/surplus/maintenance (as the Bret Contreras article touches on).

I'm too old with too many training years to add muscle quickly so can't effectively use a calorie surplus so my choice is recomp.

You are right that if I don't have time to eat properly for a bulk, then I also don't have time to train properly for a bulk. I manage to train on my lunch break. I have been going 4-5 times a week and have temporarily dropped on the cardio while I focus on muscle gains.

The muscle gains have been coming very slowly. I've only gained 1.5 inches on my glutes in 5 months. My weight has gone up by 2 lbs; but I also look "tighter" all over except the glutes. I'm 5'8" and 130 lbs and my guess is about 19% BF (going by comparing to pics on internet). I am a combination mesomorph and ectomorph (also inverted triangle body type - always been an athletic type build).

I'm 45 years old and perhaps bulking is not a good strategy (for me) since I would probably put on a lot of fat vs. muscle?
  • serapel
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Contreras there is contrasting recomp, clean bulk, and dirty bulk. All 3 are very different things that will have very different results. They suit different people depending on the individual's goals.
    Recomp limits you to your current weight. A person with low body fat who wants to gain muscle will have to do a bulk of some sorts. I went from 150 lbs at my adult height to a peak of 230 lbs because I wanted to be as big as possible. Recomp could not have gotten me there.

wow...good for you! Did you find the leaning out difficult? How long did it take?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

You are right that if I don't have time to eat properly for a bulk, then I also don't have time to train properly for a bulk. I manage to train on my lunch break. I have been going 4-5 times a week and have temporarily dropped on the cardio while I focus on muscle gains.

The muscle gains have been coming very slowly. I've only gained 1.5 inches on my glutes in 5 months. My weight has gone up by 2 lbs; but I also look "tighter" all over except the glutes. I'm 5'8" and 130 lbs and my guess is about 19% BF (going by comparing to pics on internet). I am a combination mesomorph and ectomorph (also inverted triangle body type - always been an athletic type build).

I'm 45 years old and perhaps bulking is not a good strategy (for me) since I would probably put on a lot of fat vs. muscle?

Definitely possible. Perhaps it would be more appropriate for you to start at maintenance, work on the training nutrition part and reassess after you have both those down pack.