Why is 40 called the, "New Twenty"?

Options
solquest1976
solquest1976 Posts: 125 Member
I've crossed the 40 year threshold & I'm very different now compared to my 20's. Where does this concept 'New 20s' come from & to what is it really referring?

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Midlife crisis.

Beat me to it.

• km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Being comfortable with yourself is great, but more often I see it from grown women acting like kids.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I adore grown women acting like kids. Secret admirer. But they have to be cute. That's a critical requirement.

Remember the white girl wasted photo? Pretty much that.
  • micayla75
    micayla75 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I feel like it has to do with us living longer and maintaining better health overall. In the past, 40 was considered much older because many people died in their 60s and 70s. Today, those who are healthy can live much much longer.

I don't feel old at 41 and often feel like I am still in my 20s. As long as I feel that way, you can say 40 is the new 80 for all I care! ;-)
  • solquest1976
    Options
    I adore grown women acting like kids. Secret admirer. But they have to be cute. That's a critical requirement.

You've got me laughing so much.
  • solquest1976
    Options
    I don't know the "technical" or "real" reason they say this. I'll tell you what I think though. Because now, most of us over 40 are finally starting to live the way we thought we would in our 20's? 40 isn't "mature adult" anymore. I'm 42 and MUCH happier at 42 then I was at 22. (Also, I think many of those in their 20's are ridiculously immature. Not all, but many, so it's almost like they are teenagers. so naturally we all get to move backwards, right? lol )

I like your candor & I understand exactly what you mean.
  • solquest1976
    Options
    micayla75 wrote: »
    I feel like it has to do with us living longer and maintaining better health overall. In the past, 40 was considered much older because many people died in their 60s and 70s. Today, those who are healthy can live much much longer.

I don't feel old at 41 and often feel like I am still in my 20s. As long as I feel that way, you can say 40 is the new 80 for all I care! ;-)

I tend to agree with this notion. Like you, I don't feel old either. It's attitude baby and you've got a great one! Right on!
  • micayla75
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Current average life expectancy for American women is 81.1 years.

Current average life expectancy for American men is 76.4 years.

The collective midpoint for women is 40 years and six months old.

The collective midpoint for men is 38 years and 5 months old.

Men and women older than the collective midpoint, are, on average, past their middle age and have lived more than half their lives already.

And that's pretty much it. The rest of the perky declarations concerning age - including 40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40 and 70 is still young - are exercises in whistling in the dark.

I'm hoping I was given the female longevity genes in my family. My great-grandmother was 101 when she passed away and both of my grandmothers are still living on their own and driving at 92 and 95. I have some kick *kitten* women in my life!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It's not the new 20..its not even the old 20. It's still 40 and it was probably coined by people who don't want to accept their age.

On the brightside you're only as old as you feel. So if you feel 20 awesome. If you look 20 even better!

Beth told me "you're only as old as the woman you feel." She's younger than I am. Or maybe not.
  • micayla75
    Options
    micayla75 wrote: »

Men and women older than the collective midpoint, are, on average, past their middle age and have lived more than half their lives already.

And that's pretty much it. The rest of the perky declarations concerning age - including 40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40 and 70 is still young - are exercises in whistling in the dark.

I'm hoping I was given the female longevity genes in my family. My great-grandmother was 101 when she passed away and both of my grandmothers are still living on their own and driving at 92 and 95. I have some kick *kitten* women in my life!

Make sure you plan ahead by getting specialized insurance that enables you to get in-home care rather than get stuck in a nursing home if you're planning on living to be older than 90. If you have that kind of longevity on both sides of your family you stand a fighting chance. :smile:

Yes! We discussed this with my grandmothers about 10 years ago. Since my great-grandmother lived in a nursing home for 2 years, we discussed what options they would want. My great-grandmother actually loved her nursing home. She was 99 when she moved in and said it was great having so many friends around. It was a great place, but that isn't always the case.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options

Q- Do you know why husbands die before their wives?

A - We want to.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Q- Do you know why husbands die before their wives?

A - We want to.

Maybe a husband who has made a poor choice for a spouse does...