Options

Replies

• GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    OHP for me, too--stubborn progress!
  • afreelandgti
    Options
    Bicep curls. Man I've been cursed genetically with weak biceps :-(. Ironically OHP is a strong exercise for me. My shoulders and triceps are always ok.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    If you are talking PL comp lifts then I think everyone who doesn't use a multiplier will say bench press :tongue: If you are benching more than you are squatting or deadlifting (and not injured) there is something wrong!

And yes, OHP will be weaker again because of smaller muscles used.

PL lifts: Weakest is bench at only 1.15x BW. I squat 2.5x and DL 3x so bench is lagging. (also had a shoulder injury that wasn't lifting related)
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Well I'm around "novice" on bench press and DL but close to "intermediate" on OHP and squat based on this

http://www.strstd.com/

I think I'm weaker on DL because my hip bursitis sets me back on that one more so than on squatting (I've had to take the past 2 weeks off DLs but squats have been fine, for example) and I'm weaker on BP because I started it quite a bit later. Over head pressing and squatting are also the lifts that I always look forward to doing the most :love: But, yea, it takes me forever to move up on weight on OHP too.

Interesting link!
    My numbers on OHP are lower than my bench, but they say my bench is my weakest lift:
    Bench, just below novice
    OHP - Novice
    Squat and deadlift - intermediate

I'm doing 5x5 now to increase my numbers :happy:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Strict OHP or just a regular push press above your head?
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    OHP for me.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have two: deadlifts (sill novice level at 105# according to http://www.strstd.com/ ), and Bench press (also novice level at 65#).

I have nerve damage that causes grip strength issues for the DL and my upper body is just not there yet. Still working it!!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Pendlay rows. Every time I get over 100 lbs, my form falls apart and I get a shoulder twinge.

OHP - least amount of weight, but between advanced and elite on the strength standards site. That's regular OHP; no push press. I know my OHP strength is unusually high and I love it.
    Bench - smack in the middle of Intermediate and Advanced
    Squat - just over Advanced
    DL - Intermediate, 3/4 of the way to Advanced
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Strict OHP or just a regular push press above your head?

Basically strict OHP, though with split leg to alleviate back pressure. Also, I could just as easily bring the bar to my chest but I keep it at about an inch above to protect my shoulders (bad left shoulder).
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I have two: deadlifts (sill novice level at 105# according to http://www.strstd.com/ ), and Bench press (also novice level at 65#).

I have nerve damage that causes grip strength issues for the DL and my upper body is just not there yet. Still working it!!

Nerve damage is nasty stuff, are you trying a switch grip?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Bicep curls. Man I've been cursed genetically with weak biceps :-(. Ironically OHP is a strong exercise for me. My shoulders and triceps are always ok.

Same-ish here. My biceps seem to have grown a bit, but the progress of up-ing the weight seems to be crawling, if that.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Bench Press. Having a much weaker right side does not help at all.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I just started an HLM routine yesterday. I did OHP on dumbbells - do you feel dumbbells vs. barbell are different in terms of ease of use? I suppose that's what is meant by "strict OHP"?
  • jzammetti
    Options

I'm not sure what a switch grip is? (So, no, not trying it) Care to share? I will try anything that will help be improve
  • jzammetti
    Options
    I just started an HLM routine yesterday. I did OHP on dumbbells - do you feel dumbbells vs. barbell are different in terms of ease of use? I suppose that's what is meant by "strict OHP"?

dumbbells force each side to work equally when a barbell does not (it allows your stronger side to compensate for the weaker) so I think the dumbbells can be harder.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Reverse flys. I had surgery on my spine and the muscle that attaches across the upper back was removed from my spine and reattached. Since then, reverse flys are almost impossible.
  • jzammetti
    Options

I'm not sure what a switch grip is? (So, no, not trying it) Care to share? I will try anything that will help be improve

K - so I googled it and I'll try it out. It would be awesome if it helps!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Bench press for me. I can barely bench 70lbs without a spot. However, I can squat 165lbs on my 110lb frame. Makes no sense!
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have 1 pound dumbbells, but I'd say my lightest lift is air.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    Bench press for me. I can barely bench 70lbs without a spot. However, I can squat 165lbs on my 110lb frame. Makes no sense!

It makes perfect sense! Squats work full body muscles - so the large strong ones in your middle. Bench presses are working a more limited group of smaller muscles