Jenny McCarthy on 'The View'

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    LOL @ people who get butthurt over her anti-vaccine crusade. Last time I checked, parents can do whatever they want with their kids. People always get outraged when someone has a different view on this issue because they'd like to think they know what's best for everyone since they're a parent or work in the medical field. Sit down and shut up.... nothing she says is "dangerous" because you don't have to heed her advice --- isn't that amazing! Celebrities push all sorts of agendas... you don't have to feel threatened by that if you don't want to. Stop being weak MFs. I also love how parents feel so strongly about this issue yet most kids nowadays are overweight, inactive, and are fed chemical-laden food by their parents. You want to be proactive over your child's health then go the full course. Vaccinating your child and then feeding them disease causing food makes you look just as ignorant as the anti-vaccine hippy.

Oh look who's trolling again.

The-Hard-Knock-Life-Of-An-Internet-Troll-Infographic.jpg
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    As (a) someone with a compromised immune system and (b) someone who works in healthcare, I'd like to see Jenny McCarthy sit at the beside of a sick infant who's struggling to breathe from whooping cough and explain to that baby's parents why her crackpot theories are more important than their child not having pneumonia. And then I would like to see her shoved into the nearest volcano.

And I will be there helping who ever wants to shove her in the volcano (hopefully an active one).
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    OFF-TOPIC DISCLAIMER: Dan, that dog is beautiful.

RIGHT?! We were in Alaska and hung out with him for a few hours. I wish he was mine. Amazing trip though, very beautiful.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of the show and I never watch it.

I do know a bit about Jenny McCarthy's stance on vaccines and autism and such - and she has been doing her research and is allowed to have her opinions. This country is what is it because people push the envelope and question things. She may not be 100% accurate and she may not be 100% wrong. She has found what works for her son - if it works for him it can work for others.

As a parent, it is up to the person to do their own research and come to their own conclusions. I will say this, autism is more and more prevelant in today's society so maybe it does have to do with something that we are being exposed to.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have never been vaccinated and I've made it to 24 years old without a problem...
    That's because everyone around you was vaccinated and you therefore haven't been exposed to these diseases. Care to take a walk through a room full of Polio Patients?

I've been to India twice, and at least 10 other countries, including many thirld-world ones, so I have been around many people who were not/could not affird to be vaccinated. My parents focused on a healthy diet/lifestyle to keep my immune system strong.
    :flowerforyou:

I'm just happy for the eradication of small pox. When I went to Africa I became the human pin cushion (got it all and titers on things I had as a baby) and came back blessedly disease free.

It is scary that an uneducated celebrity could possible make children sick or die with childhood diseases we dont see anymore. I can understand having a child with autism and looking for a reason, but with her celebrity status I would have more respect if she pulled in a medical doctor.

You as a parent though should ask about every shot and medication that goes into your child. You ask the practitioner the reason on this vaccination. If the child doesnt have the vaccine what is the long term risk, can it be delayed? I was staunch against the chicken pox vaccine and hpv vaccine, but since I developed shingles and have seen the devastation cervical cancer can cause I support those vaccines. I would have my child vaccinated against hep A because seeing a child die from that will rip your heart out.

Whopping cough can cause irreversible lung damage and rabies and tetanus can kill. The only "cure" for a virus or some bacterial toxins is your own immunity which needs exposure to create cells that recognize the invader.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I will say this, autism is more and more prevelant in today's society so maybe it does have to do with something that we are being exposed to.

Do more people really have autism, or are more people being diagnosed as awareness of the spectrum of the disorder has risen?
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    I will say this, autism is more and more prevelant in today's society so maybe it does have to do with something that we are being exposed to.

Autism isn't more prevalent, it's simply a case of doctors, healthcare workers, social workers, teachers and parents being more aware of the spectrum and signs and symptoms, so more children on the spectrum are being given and official diagnosis. Diagnoses have increased because people know what to look out for, and doctors are (in some cases, sadly not always) more aware of the spectrum of symptoms etc. Autism isn't hiding on street corners and behind brick walls waiting to jump out and "infect" our children, it's just that now we know the signs to look for in our kids.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    She claims to have cured her son's autism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bhQ3SYJhg

It'd be nice if public figures were held accountable for the unsubstantiated claims they declare as fact. But we can't even get supposed news outlets to state the truth, as they're considered "news entertainment".

Why should she be held accountable? She's a comedian, not a doctor. Shouldn't everyday citizens be held responsible for their own research and decision making? Why should there always be someone else to blame for people acting stupidly?

Every day citizens SHOULD be held responsible for their own decision making, but until they stop repeating information that is spewed by the media like parrots, then they won't be. The fact is, people in the media are viewed as role models and have a unique platform for getting their message out that every day citizens do not have. Sure, she's not a doctor, but that's not going to stop people from potentially listening to her. And even if she were a doctor, would that really make a difference? (Look at Dr. Oz, for example...)

That being said, while I think people should be more responsible, if I were Jenny McCarthy and I thought my son developed autism because he was vaccinated, then I'd probably do exactly what she's doing...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Do more people really have autism, or are more people being diagnosed as awareness of the spectrum of the disorder has risen?
    This, exactly. I actually already stated it earlier in the thread.

We'll probably see a marked decrease now that they've removed Asperger's from the spectrum.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I work on the front line of childhood vaccinations (pregnant women). Go ahead, don't vaccinate....Darwinism works like a charm.

People who would listen to a celebrity instead of a well-trained doctor reap what they sow, in my opinion.

As a mentor of mine once said, "You can't care for someone more than they care for themselves..." (speaking of adults, of course)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't like Jenny McCarthy... and I don't like this show. It's a match made in heaven. Just another over-opinionated woman offering her opinion.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    LOL @ people who get butthurt over her anti-vaccine crusade. Last time I checked, parents can do whatever they want with their kids. People always get outraged when someone has a different view on this issue because they'd like to think they know what's best for everyone since they're a parent or work in the medical field. Sit down and shut up.... nothing she says is "dangerous" because you don't have to heed her advice --- isn't that amazing! Celebrities push all sorts of agendas... you don't have to feel threatened by that if you don't want to. Stop being weak MFs. I also love how parents feel so strongly about this issue yet most kids nowadays are overweight, inactive, and are fed chemical-laden food by their parents. You want to be proactive over your child's health then go the full course. Vaccinating your child and then feeding them disease causing food makes you look just as ignorant as the anti-vaccine hippy.

This isn't about respecting people with a different viewpoint, bro. This is about kids getting sick and dying. Parent's CANNOT do whatever they want with their kids. This is like those bull**** religious nuts that don't get their kids help because they "don't believe" in medicine.

She absolutely says dangerous things. Not everyone does their research and realizes that the studies she sites are complete bull****.

And "vaccinating your children and then feeding them disease causing food"? I'd love to see your sources on that.

THIS!!

It's not just about YOUR kids. It's about other people's kids too. It's about babies who are dying from pertussis because they're too young to be vaccinated and don't have a developed immune system yet and die because someone else decided not to vaccinate their own kid. Come back and say that parents can "do whatever they want with their kids" when polio becomes an epidemic again in North America...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    She claims to have cured her son's autism:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bhQ3SYJhg

It'd be nice if public figures were held accountable for the unsubstantiated claims they declare as fact. But we can't even get supposed news outlets to state the truth, as they're considered "news entertainment".

Why should she be held accountable? She's a comedian, not a doctor. Shouldn't everyday citizens be held responsible for their own research and decision making? Why should there always be someone else to blame for people acting stupidly?

When you are putting yourself out there as public figure and espousing a belief and claiming yourself to be knowledgeable I believe you should be accountable for you actions and words. There's a huge difference between Betty Smith from around the corner having a theory that she talks about with the "girls" over drinks and a celebrity going out to get as much exposure as possible on their faulty view points based on disproven "science" performed by a doctor who has come out and admitted that he cooked the results. Actions have consequences, and we should all be responsible for our actions.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

This isn't about respecting people with a different viewpoint, bro. This is about kids getting sick and dying. Parent's CANNOT do whatever they want with their kids. This is like those bull**** religious nuts that don't get their kids help because they "don't believe" in medicine.

She absolutely says dangerous things. Not everyone does their research and realizes that the studies she sites are complete bull****.

And "vaccinating your children and then feeding them disease causing food"? I'd love to see your sources on that.

THIS!!

It's not just about YOUR kids. It's about other people's kids too. It's about babies who are dying from pertussis because they're too young to be vaccinated and don't have a developed immune system yet and die because someone else decided not to vaccinate their own kid. Come back and say that parents can "do whatever they want with their kids" when polio becomes an epidemic again in North America...

And that right there is the most frightening thought. Your baby dies because of someones beliefs.

It's an old conference, but I think it has validity.

Pediatrics. 2001 May;107(5):E84.
    Measles-mumps-rubella vaccine and autistic spectrum disorder: report from the New Challenges in Childhood Immunizations Conference convened in Oak Brook, Illinois, June 12-13, 2000.
    Halsey NA, Hyman SL; Conference Writing Panel.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11331734
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Parents can choose to vaccinate or not? Sounds like they're in control to me? If Jenny McCarthy gets someone else's kids sick that is their parents' fault, not hers. Not many people research, period. What about all the parents who blindly allow doctors to do whatever they want to their children? I have a nephew on Adderall and he's in 3rd grade. Do you really think the medical establishment always has our best interest? Prescription drugs kill more people than illegal drugs. There is a lot to be leery of with modern medicine and we should all inform ourselves before we give a whitecoat the final say.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My opinion on vaccines nothwithstanding... if ANY parent decides to vaccinate or not based solely on Jenny McCarthy then they deserve a child who gets polio, or autism... depending.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    she, and any other panelists on the view, can say whatever they want as long as the network is fine with it... ratings ratings ratings... ultimately, the parent makes decisions about their kids... last time I checked, Jenny McCartney did not rule as the supreme mother who all other parents must defer to in parenthood matters.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    The dumbing down of America continues....
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty established that her son doesn't have autism.

I'm asking this quite honestly. Is that true?

yes, back in 2010 it was reveiled that he may have had Landau-Kleffner instead.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Parents can choose to vaccinate or not? Sounds like they're in control to me? If Jenny McCarthy gets someone else's kids sick that is their parents' fault, not hers. Not many people research, period. What about all the parents who blindly allow doctors to do whatever they want to their children? I have a nephew on Adderall and he's in 3rd grade. Do you really think the medical establishment always has our best interest? Prescription drugs kill more people than illegal drugs. There is a lot to be leery of with modern medicine and we should all inform ourselves before we give a whitecoat the final say.
    QFT
This discussion has been closed.