19yo and At least 400lbs--looking for some support

Options
2»

Replies

• bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest, you have a job now and are making money, why not contribute to the family eating expenses. Or even just do some of your own shopping. And you can still eat what your family is cooking, just make some healthier sides and eat less of the other things. That way its not completely separate meals and who knows, maybe other family members will want to join in. Also, since your a good cook (not a gene I got) maybe you could search out alternative recipes for your family to try that are similar to what they already eat but lower in calorie and take over the cooking from your mom a couple nights a week.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I started at almost 390 and am now 190. It takes time and effort but it can be done. You seem to be in a good mindset to do this which is 99% of the battle IMO.

I remember reading @MalkinMagic71 log on here somewhere and would be a good read for you OP. Inspirational
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know where Paducah, KY, is! I went to school in Evansville, IN. Welcome, friend. :)

It sounds like you have a good job that you enjoy, which is great for mental health. If your job causes you to sit a lot (mine does), see if you can use or get a standing desk. If those aren't available to you, it will be up to you to find solutions and patterns that work. You could go for a walk at lunch; it's nice this time of year, but in winter you could walk around the building or up and down the stairs. I joined a gym right next to where I work because I knew that I would never get myself there after commuting home.

You say self-accountability is not your strong suit. Me either! Can you get a dog? A dog will force you to get up and walk him/her, so you get some exercise. They are also great companions and will love you even when you have a binge day or are ready to give up.

Be easy on yourself, at least at the start. Make small changes, one a week or one a month. Start with just logging your calories every day without trying to restrict so you can see where to make changes. Try switching sugary beverages out for water or tea. Just take a walk around the block instead. If it's hard to meet people, join some online groups, like you have here. Incremental change is change that can actually last. Once you see some improvements, you will find the internal motivation to keep going.

It's not easy to be accountable to just yourself. Much of it comes down to willpower. Are you in charge of your diet, or is your diet in charge of you? Who is more stubborn? What good comes of eating a whole bag of chips instead of carrots? You can open your diary and ask some MFP people to look at it weekly, maybe even ask you questions.

When you are 29 or 39, you will have wished DEARLY that you had started at 19. Be accountable to that person and to the spouse and kids you hope to have and be an example for (if that is your thing).

Best of luck to you. We are all here for you. This is a very supportive and encouraging place.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Dude. You're smart and you know what you gotta do. Just keep truckin' on your journey. Keep winning that mental battle and make the choices you need to make for your health. I can't wait to hear more about your story as it unfolds.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I once carried 335 pounds on this 5'2" body. Am I still over weight? Sure...its a constant struggle. But I am far from where I was...and working to get to where I need to be. Anyone feel free to add me :smiley:
  • 2_FitNFab
    2_FitNFab Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It takes a dedicated mental change first then the rest will slowly follow. Just keep reminding yourself, you're sick and tired of always feeling sick and tired! Good luck to you. Free free to add me if you like. :)
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Dear Talon, your story touched me. You are correct that losing weight will lift your mood. I am down 60 pounds with another 35 to go. I am amazed at the changes I see in myself. I'm 60 years old so suffered from my weight induced issues both with my health and my mental state most of my life. I have dieted countless times. This time was different because I decided to set a reasonable goal (which I have lowered three times, lol) and to find a way to eat things I like but in smaller quantities. Now don't misunderstand, I do eat more healthy but if I want sour cream on my potato I have a small one with a tablespoon or two and I count it in my total calories. I can live this way the rest of my life. All those crash diets I did.... no chance, I rarely lost more than 20 pounds on any of them. I started to walk. Not speeed walking or miles at a time. I just decided to do something I liked and I like to walk. No one can tell you exactly what to do but there are many on these forums who can advise when you have a question and you CAN do it. I agree that getting your diet right first will help. That's how I started and I didn't really walk until 3 months in. By then I was feeling better and I started really slow. I'm still only doing 8000 steps a day (that's my goal, sometimes I exceed it) but I made it a part of my routine. Good luck and don't give up.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    This can be a fun challenge for a foodie :) You are heavy enough that you don't need to drastically cut your calories in order to lose weight. Find healthy recipes and use the mfp recipe builder. That way, you know exactly what you're eating, and if it's yummy and you fix it again, you can easily log it. I didn't have as much to lose as you, but I found it really fun to find new recipes and work to stay within my goal. It wasn't as hard as I expected, but that's because I love to cook, and I love good food. Take your time. Learn as you go. You're very wise to begin now while you're young. Congratulations on all of your sucesses so far! You can do this!
  • akilia112010
    akilia112010 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Continue to keep your heap and keep that positive mind frame. It's really hard to always stay positive when trying to lose weight. Can't wait to see you get to your goals! :)
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi! Based on your outlook and post, I already know you CAN do this. You clearly understand what needs to change in your life and that's awesome :) id love to be friends with you on this journey!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Just start and you'll be amazed at what happens. Alot of good posters on here--use their advice. Best of luck.
  • JessicaJune
    JessicaJune Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Feel free to add me! :)

JJ
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It may seem daunting, but if you just start things will progress. Remember, every time you fail is really just getting you one step closer to succeeding in your goals.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    your profile says 17?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    your profile says 17?

This. Unfortunately, you have to be 18 to be on MFP. Try "Sparkteens".