Caloric deficiency?

Options
13»

Replies

• suarez73
    suarez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    suarez73 wrote: »
    From what any kickboxing, boxing coach has ever told me, as well as literature etc. that's what it states. I didn't make it up, it's what I've been told. I've burned 400 calories doing speedwalking on a treadmill in an hour. This is way more intense.

Anyone giving you a cookie-cutter calorie burn regardless of your body size, gender, age, etc, and heart rate is not doing you a service. Frankly, I have my doubts about your treadmill's calorie burn as well.

No one's saying you're not working hard and getting a good burn. But those calorie burns are overstated.

And yes, I've also done kickboxing. Drenched in sweat. Panting and thinking I'll puke or die. Still, no way did I burn anywhere near what you're talking about.
    From what any kickboxing, boxing coach has ever told me, as well as literature etc. that's what it states. I didn't make it up, it's what I've been told. I've burned 400 calories doing speedwalking on a treadmill in an hour. This is way more intense.

Anyone giving you a cookie-cutter calorie burn regardless of your body size, gender, age, etc, and heart rate is not doing you a service. Frankly, I have my doubts about your treadmill's calorie burn as well.

No one's saying you're not working hard and getting a good burn. But those calorie burns are overstated.

And yes, I've also done kickboxing. Drenched in sweat. Panting and thinking I'll puke or die. Still, no way did I burn anywhere near what you're talking about.

Ok, as I've stated, these are numbers provided to me by different sources. Thanks.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Or the issue is that she's lost 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks - or 3 pounds a week -- except that over the last 9 days she's only lost one. So she lost 8 pounds in the first 11 days, and people are calling her loss "slow" and suggesting its because of her overestimating her burns?

How about the loss in that first 8 days was probably mostly water, and she's now putting water weight back on as she loses "real" weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    Or the issue is that she's lost 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks - or 3 pounds a week -- except that over the last 9 days she's only lost one. So she lost 8 pounds in the first 11 days, and people are calling her loss "slow" and suggesting its because of her overestimating her burns?

How about the loss in that first 8 days was probably mostly water, and she's now putting water weight back on as she loses "real" weight?

She isn't eating back the exercise calories so it's a moot point.
    They are dreadfully inflated though but that's of more academic interest.

What does "putting water weight back on as she loses real weight" actually mean?

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    1) How are you figuring that each session of kickboxing burns 865 calories? Is that something they told you in class or are you wearing a heartrate monitor?

2) You've been doing this for 3 weeks...9 lbs in 3 weeks is 3lbs/week. And this upsets you? It's probably best to set realistic expectations right now so you don't crash and burn and give up.

3) Eat more. Even though I think it's BS that you are actually burning that many calories per session, 1200/calories daily and exercising isn't good. You should be NETTING 1200, not just eating that much.

Agree with this, I highly doubt you are burning that many calories in a kickboxing session but you should be eating at least half of those back and definitely not reacting to "only" 3 pounds a week loss by eating even less.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and weighing everything? No measuring cups, etc.?? Either way it sounds like you have lost a lot already and are on a good track. My only point is unless you use a scale you can get some really large swings in your intake.

No, I don't use a scale or anything.

then how do you know how many calories you're eating per day? do you only eat pre-packaged foods where the package is exactly one serving?

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    vassar15 wrote: »
    OP. I've done kickboxing on a regular basis for years and can tell you your burns are exaggerated. 400-500 is a better burn per hour.

Before upping your calories, you MUST start using a food scale. Due to your losses, I am quite certain that you're under eating, too.
    3) Eat more. Even though I think it's BS that you are actually burning that many calories per session, 1200/calories daily and exercising isn't good. You should be NETTING 1200, not just eating that much.

That makes no sense at all. If she in fact burning 865 calories, you are telling her to eat 2,065 calories, whether she is hungry or not hungry.

So if she has a 200-calorie breakfast (two eggs and sauteed mushrooms, for example), she's supposed to have an 800-calorie lunch and a 1,065-calorie dinner, no matter what?

Terrible advise.

Oh good lord.

You've got to be kidding, right? How in the world is netting ~300 calories daily a good thing? She should be netting at least 1200 to prevent malnutrition and a host of other illnesses and disorders. How is her body supposed to survive on so little nutrition? She's netting far less than a toddler would. Crazy. You do realize that the body needs fuel to function, right?

So what are you saying, it's 10 PM, she's not hungry, she's 400 calories below where she should be, but she eat 400 calories anyway?

Do you believe that one shouldn't eat after a certain hour of the day?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OP. I've done kickboxing on a regular basis for years and can tell you your burns are exaggerated. 400-500 is a better burn per hour.

Before upping your calories, you MUST start using a food scale. Due to your losses, I am quite certain that you're under eating, too.

That makes no sense at all. If she in fact burning 865 calories, you are telling her to eat 2,065 calories, whether she is hungry or not hungry.

So if she has a 200-calorie breakfast (two eggs and sauteed mushrooms, for example), she's supposed to have an 800-calorie lunch and a 1,065-calorie dinner, no matter what?

Terrible advise.

Oh good lord.

You've got to be kidding, right? How in the world is netting ~300 calories daily a good thing? She should be netting at least 1200 to prevent malnutrition and a host of other illnesses and disorders. How is her body supposed to survive on so little nutrition? She's netting far less than a toddler would. Crazy. You do realize that the body needs fuel to function, right?

So what are you saying, it's 10 PM, she's not hungry, she's 400 calories below where she should be, but she eat 400 calories anyway?

Ideally, a person who is consistently netting that low wouldn't be waiting until 10pm to realise they're chronically under but would be managing their intake by ensuring that they intake enough calories through the course of the day to not end up with a significantly low net figure.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

Terrible advise.

Oh good lord.

Being 400 below is way better than being 900 below - which is what she is saying she's doing.

If she were measuring her food correctly and calculating kickboxing calories correctly (which, I don't know how much she is burning, and neither do you) and she was happy at 400 under, I would bet my lottery winning ticket that she wouldn't be feeling great on that for very long.n

Have I gone to bed leaving 400 cals on the books? Sure. Would I do it every day for three weeks? No.

There are too many variables unaccounted in this whole scenario.

Vassar, you just aren't understanding the way this site calculates calories. Read around - read the sticky threads at the beginning of the forum - the "How to."

• suarez73
    Options
    Are you using a food scale and weighing everything? No measuring cups, etc.?? Either way it sounds like you have lost a lot already and are on a good track. My only point is unless you use a scale you can get some really large swings in your intake.

then how do you know how many calories you're eating per day? do you only eat pre-packaged foods where the package is exactly one serving?

I eat "clean" foods and use measuring cups. Nothing frozen or prepared.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    then you may be eating more than you think. measuring cups aren't very accurate for solid food; a food scale is much more accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

btw, often a slice of bread can be way over the serving size on the package or even be 2 servings.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What does that mean you eat "clean" foods? Are you under the impression that negates the need to accurately track calories, that you will automatically lose weight because you're eating "clean", whatever that means to you?
  • suarez73
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What does that mean you eat "clean" foods? Are you under the impression that negates the need to accurately track calories, that you will automatically lose weight because you're eating "clean", whatever that means to you?

OMG people! Relax! I don't eat processed food or canned food. I have not eaten meat since 1985. If I eat an extra 10 calories who cares? If I read that a cup of carrots is 15 calories, I add 20! I maintain a philosophy of "If you biye it, you write it".
    You are all missing the original post. I was bummed about losing 1 lb this week. Let it go!! I was looking for support, not arguments. In all honesty, I have never partaken in a "chatroom" before and never will again.
    From here on out you are arguing with each other.
    I have been on many treadmills and have had the same reads, I have spoken with many instructors with the same answers. Why do you all feel the need to argue and challenge someone who asked a simple question on a site that is supposed to support one another?!
    For crissakes people, read each other's posts before reiterating.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Eating clean does not matter for weight loss. I mean, I used to eat clean vegetarian, was over 260lbs and never lost a pound because I wasn't accurately figuring out intake. Eating clean, vegan, paleo, "dirty" it doesn't matter. If you're guestimating your intake (yes, cups and spoons are guestimating due to their inaccurate nature), you don't know-how much you're eating and drinking, period. Use a food scale for a week, then increase your calories. If you are losing 3lbs every week and you aren't 400lbs+, then you are under eating.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Ok, as I've stated, these are numbers provided to me by different sources. Thanks.

Even so, unless you are obese and pretty tall, those sources are overestimating. MFP is notorious for proving cardio numbers that in my experience are usually about 200 calories over. For me, a 5 ft 4 woman who's weight averages between 140 and 145, MFP tells me I would burn 664 per hour. This tells me, I need to immediately shave off a few hundred calories.

That said, only steady state cardio should be recorded and I don't think kickboxing qualifies as that because you have to stop and rest. Would it be more like high intensity interval training. I'm not sure about this part.

How did you get the speekwalking burn number? My guess is off the treadmill, which is also highly overestimated.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Clean foods have nothing to do with weight loss, and measuring cups are horribly inaccurate measuring devices.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

OMG people! Relax! I don't eat processed food or canned food. I have not eaten meat since 1985. If I eat an extra 10 calories who cares? If I read that a cup of carrots is 15 calories, I add 20! I maintain a philosophy of "If you biye it, you write it".
    You are all missing the original post. I was bummed about losing 1 lb this week. Let it go!! I was looking for support, not arguments. In all honesty, I have never partaken in a "chatroom" before and never will again.
    From here on out you are arguing with each other.
    I have been on many treadmills and have had the same reads, I have spoken with many instructors with the same answers. Why do you all feel the need to argue and challenge someone who asked a simple question on a site that is supposed to support one another?!
    For crissakes people, read each other's posts before reiterating.

Your original post was asking about why you weren't losing more. People have repeatedly explained that weight loss comes down to an energy balance, your CI must be less than your CO. You are using likely inflated numbers for your CO and you are using inaccurate tools for measuring your CI. There is your answer. Explaining the facts and pointing out that it isn't necessary to "eat clean" in order to lose weight IS being supportive.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,045 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MyFitnessPal a supportive, friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Nova
    MFP Community Staff
This discussion has been closed.