When did you decide to get serious about getting fit?

Options
When did you decided to get healthy? What was that seminal moment for you?

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When it took the nurse 3 tries to get a decent blood pressure reading which was still over 140. I was 24 at the time.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My moment was when I went into kidney failure and was told I had to lose weight in order to be eligible for a kidney transplant. I decided that not only was I going to lose weight, but I was going to do my best to improve my overall health. I want a new kidney and a new life.
  • Basia_and4345
    Basia_and4345 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I was looking for a dress for my Oldest daughters wedding.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just being told I have Diabetes....that is a wake up call.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    When I started to feel a strange tightness in my chest from just walking. I was only 22 years old.... I had never felt any real issues from my obesity until that moment and it scared teh *kitten* out of me. Joined MFP that same week.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When my doctor said, "Losing weight is not a priority for you." It severely pissed me off, but once I calmed down and stopped strangling him, I thought about it and had to agree. I then realized overeating was an addiction for me and started treating it that way. I've been clean and sober since May 22, 2013.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I became serious about WEIGHT LOSS in February of last year. I joined MFP, cracked down on my eating and lost all my baby and honeymoon weight. Three months ago I became serious about FITNESS and joined a gym and started lifting heavy weights.

I love my new lifestyle and I will never go back to the miserable old one!
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I was at a birthday party hiding behind one of my signature baggy shirts and envying how tiny a gal my age looked. I decided one day I'd look like that too and the next day I began exercising and making simple switches in my diet. Envy isn't a beautiful trait, but it sure helped me become a more beautiful me!
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I got tired of thinking that I "couldn't" be fit. I have a family history of heart disease and type 2 diabetes. I have coworkers my age who have been on maintenance meds for BP, Chol, etc, for YEARS. I want to delay the need for maintenance medication as long as I possibly can. Healthy eating & physical activity are KEY to making that goal.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think what really got me going was a period of good health, when I felt better able to "risk" exercise. I have heart disease and since my diagnosis, I've been nervous of pushing myself too much. It's difficult finding that balance. A couple of winters ago I had a quite a good winter health-wise, and I felt as if I could test out exercise a bit more.

Once I started moving more, I decided that getting fit would be easier if I weighed less. I'd been very wary of dieting because it so often doesn't work, but I'd got to a point where I thought I really could keep it up for a life. I didn't even aim to lose as much as I have done - just enough to make the exercise easier and less of a strain on my joints.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    When everything else in my life fell into place and I was happy with everything but my weight.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    When everything I owned was too tight. I would try to find something to wear when my boyfriend and I would go out and I would always end up in tears because nothing fit. Even our relationship suffered because I didn't want him touching me. I felt miserable and new it was time to get serious.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    When the Dr. said the bloodwork indicator for risk of heart attack came back extremely high, in that instant it all changed for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Last September/October when my doctor pretty much told me I was digging my own grave with the things that I was doing and the things I wasn't doing. So I stopped doing the things that I was doing and started doing the things that I wasn't doing.

Weight loss has been a nice perk, but really the improved blood work and my increased level of fitness is where it's at. Nine months ago, if you would have told me I'd be 40 Lbs lighter and training for 10Ks and obstacle course runs, and hitting the weight room with viciousness, and planning for triathlons next year I would have seriously laughed in your face.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    When my doctor suggested I get tested for diabetes and pointed out I had gained 10 lbs the year before and almost 20 in that current year. Oddly, I seem to not have realized how big I had gotten until that moment. I walked out of there and remember seeing my reflection in a window and being like "OMG...I AM fat"
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    When my grandmother died. Doctors might have been able to save her if it hadn't been for all the damage being overweight had done to her body.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Heart disease and cancer run in my family. My father died at age 44. I turned 43 in May and I am built just like the man I so dearly loved. I've gained/lost weight my whole life. Looking at my four children one day and realizing they could lose me like I lost my Dad was the wake up call I needed. I became serious and more focused this past April and the scale has been on a steady downward spiral since then. Because I'm taking control I hope to beat the family odds and live a long, healthy, & fit life.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    When I renewed my driver's license this March and saw my photo.... absolutely awful. I looked like a dumpy old man instead of a woman. That was the end of accepting my fathood. No more.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Jan. 12, 2010. My dad had just turned 55, and I realized that he was my age when his mother died of a preventable disease. I was obese at the time, and that was the day I decided I'd had enough of being lazy and settling for less than mediocrity. My mind, my body, my life ... nothing about me today bears even a remote resemblance to who I was then.