Refined foods, flours and sugars

Options

Replies

• MorningWhispers
    Options
    Cutting out refined foods, white flours and processed sugars has worked for me when nothing else has.

I know there are lots of different ways to lose weight and some people can eat a cookie here and there and still lose weight. But I am not one of those people.

I've tried a lot of different methods of weight loss over the years and if I did manage to lose a pound or two, five more came back. That's one of the reasons I got to be as big as I am.

Eating clean - whole foods as much as possible - works for me.

For me this is a lifestyle change. I have no desire to go back to eating refined sugars or processed foods ever again. I don't miss them at all.
  • shed50kg
    shed50kg Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Have any of you cut out foods made from white flour and refined sugars from your daily diets altogether? If so, has it helped you lose a lot of weight or helped you maintain your goal weight?

I think my biggest problem in the past is that I have eaten a LOT of white bread every day, plus I liked the cakes ; - (. And, normally it is not just the bread, most of the stuff that goes into the sandwiches has been unhealthy or processed foods like mayo, butter, processed meats, cheeses, etc.

I have already cut right down on the bread and cakes items but only for 3 months, was wondering if anyone has cut them out for much longer, and have had good results by not eating them.

Why do you think it is those foods in particular? Sounds just like a caloric surplus to me.

I am sure surplus calories is the main problem for me, however I am not sure my surplus calories alone was enough to keep me at 320 lbs.

When I see what some people eat NOW, I think WOW, I never used to eat that much stuff before. I rarely ate fast foods (1-2 per week), rarely drank sodas, rarely ate candy, rarely drank alcohol. BUT my biggest problem was that I ate a lot of white bread, I used to eat 2-3 x 10 inch white baguettes per day and a big bag potato chips. I also was a big coffee drinker too (6-8 cups per day). My diet consisted mainly of sandwiches, potato chips and coffee.

Since I have changed my diet, 11 weeks now, I have dropped 9 lbs. Anyone is welcome to check my food diary to give me some tips and advice. My diary only has records for the last week when I started MFP but it has been very similar for 11 weeks.

Am I losing weight at the right rate? I must admit, I thought I would of lost 2 lbs per week, but I am only losing less than a pound a week which seems slow when I started at 320 lbs.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    I have just done a rough calculation of how many calories I used to eat in the past, and I was definitely eating too much as I estimate it must of been around 3,000 calories per day.

Compared to what I am eating now, I think I have dropped my calories too much? Would appreciate to know what you guys think. My diary is open to view. I have lost 9 lbs in 11 weeks which seems a bit slow?
  • toddlikesdesign
    Options
    I have just done a rough calculation of how many calories I used to eat in the past, and I was definitely eating too much as I estimate it must of been around 3,000 calories per day.

Compared to what I am eating now, I think I have dropped my calories too much? Would appreciate to know what you guys think. My diary is open to view. I have lost 9 lbs in 11 weeks which seems a bit slow?

Did you get the 2,490 calorie number by using the guided fitness goal tool? If so, were you accurate about your lifestyle and exercise? If not it's going to be off.

Also, in my opinion you were not on the road to weight loss until you started logging your food intake. The 9 lbs lost was incidental. Keep weighing your food, logging it, stay in a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I meant because beer's not allowed on paleo (I don't think?)...in any case, it doesn't matter.

Which is funny, since beer is about as unprocessed as it gets. Throw seeds into water, let yeast fall in, wait 8 weeks.

You have never made beer.
  • nat8199
    nat8199 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Years and years ago I read Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating.

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Drink-Be-Healthy-Harvard/dp/0743266420/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374056647&sr=8-1&keywords=harvard+healthy+eating

As a result I did replace white wheat with whole wheat and white rice with brown. I also try (though only about 90% of the time) to follow their nutrition recommendations like their healthy eating plate instead of the traditional food pyramid.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/plate/healthy-eating-plate

This, however, was not about weight-loss for me, but rather general energy and well-being.

Obviously, I was still eating too many calories, or I wouldn't be here. Now I am combining exercise, the Harvard tips, and MFP calorie counter with great success. I am also recently trying to hit my macros (100g of protein) and that is helping a TON.

I think that you are doing a great job of losing 9lbs and making changes that you can live with. If you are so inclined, slowly substituting some refined carbs for whole grains cannot hurt, but only if you are counting the calories.
  • roflsauce
    roflsauce Posts: 21
    Options
    Since I am doing a keto diet, yes. Lost about 60 pounds since Februari(ish). Though I deviated some (went to Japan for 3 weeks). Before this I've tried lots of different things, I just feel like eating keto satisfy me and it seems to work well.

I've barely lost any lean body mass since I started, but lost about 5% total body fat since the start of July. I eat at quite a high deficit the days where I don't work out, but eat more the days I do.
  • shed50kg
    Options

Did you get the 2,490 calorie number by using the guided fitness goal tool? If so, were you accurate about your lifestyle and exercise? If not it's going to be off.

Also, in my opinion you were not on the road to weight loss until you started logging your food intake. The 9 lbs lost was incidental. Keep weighing your food, logging it, stay in a deficit and you will lose weight.

Yes, I got 2,490 calories from the calculator.

However, I am generally eating around 2,000 calories daily now, and I am concerned I have dropped too many calories to quickly? I am finding it pretty easy to drop to 2,000 calories and I am confident I can stick with it.

I think for me, I was eating the wrong type of foods in the past, especially large amounts of bread (sandwiches), purely because it was easy and quick. I have more or less cut out flour based items now and other processed foods. I am still eating plenty food though (at least for me).
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I think eating fast food twice a week is a lot - I won't say i never eat fast food, but we might as a family have take-out pixzza once in 8 weeks and Burger King maybe once in 4 months (unless we are on vacation with limited time/possibilities - but that's only 2 weeks). With regard to the baguettes, it was the calories in them (and probably in the fillings) that weere your main problem.

I used to regularly -every weekend - have a white baguette with loads of cheese. The baguette alone has the caloires of 6 slices of bread, and there's no way I would have eaten 3 sandwiches even then.

I have not cut anything OUT of my diet. But I've not had a baguette - I've subbed in high-quality slced bread (Vogel) - and I try to avoid the "its my birthday, there's cake in the kitchen" unless I know I can fit it inot my calories for the day - to avoid temptation I log my daily food at the start of the day so if I want something extra I know how much extra exercise I need to do to accomodate it.

A healthy balanced diet using all the food groups but keeping to your calorie limit will make you lose weight - as others have said, its about protion control. If you want a baguette, make sure you log it accurately and if it takes you over your calories do some extra exercise to make it up.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I did cut it out when I first started. Moderation was something that was really difficult for me straight out of the gate but after a month of my self imposed rehab I was able to control my self and my cravings. I still don't have flour because the gluten causes digestive troubles for me but I do have ice cream and (what I consider more nutritious) fast food. I keep my carbs at 113g/day and sometimes I'm under, sometimes I'm over but I aim to get them from decently nutritious sources like fruits and veg but I also really like ice cream and nachos. I would say I began eating a more primal diet, but based on my personal experience IIFYM will see me to goal.
  • shed50kg
    Options
    I think eating fast food twice a week is a lot - I won't say i never eat fast food, but we might as a family have take-out pixzza once in 8 weeks and Burger King maybe once in 4 months (unless we are on vacation with limited time/possibilities - but that's only 2 weeks). With regard to the baguettes, it was the calories in them (and probably in the fillings) that weere your main problem.

I used to regularly -every weekend - have a white baguette with loads of cheese. The baguette alone has the caloires of 6 slices of bread, and there's no way I would have eaten 3 sandwiches even then.

I have not cut anything OUT of my diet. But I've not had a baguette - I've subbed in high-quality slced bread (Vogel) - and I try to avoid the "its my birthday, there's cake in the kitchen" unless I know I can fit it inot my calories for the day - to avoid temptation I log my daily food at the start of the day so if I want something extra I know how much extra exercise I need to do to accomodate it.

A healthy balanced diet using all the food groups but keeping to your calorie limit will make you lose weight - as others have said, its about protion control. If you want a baguette, make sure you log it accurately and if it takes you over your calories do some extra exercise to make it up.

Yes, I really think the amount of bread and the fillings was the biggest problem. I don't think 1-2 pizzas per week was a huge problem as their were shared with the kids and only thin based with little topping. I am pretty sure my downfall was bread and sugar to a lesser degree. Since I have nearly totally cut out the bread, I actually feel as though I have more energy ; - )

Now I have craving for broccoli and carrots ; - ), time to eat.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Although I LOVE it, I eat less bread than I used to because it's a lot of calories for not much sustinence.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If it works for you great, but as previously mentioned for weight loss a calorie deficit is key.

Develop moderation, denying ones self will usually result in a relapse or binging.

Healthy food is always a good thing but what is considered healthy is always up for debate.

Think sustainable.

Here are some links that are helpful for organizing your calorie intake.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Also consider if you haven't introducing exercise into your life...a combination of weight training and cardio.

Good luck.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I meant because beer's not allowed on paleo (I don't think?)...in any case, it doesn't matter.

Which is funny, since beer is about as unprocessed as it gets. Throw seeds into water, let yeast fall in, wait 8 weeks.

It isn't about the processing in this case. Beer is made from grains, and grains are a no-no on paleo.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

You have never made beer.

Actually, I have. I do, in fact. And, I make wine as well. Albeit, I make more wine than beer.

Sure, you can make it really complicated, by creating a wash through boiling, and adding your hops at various stages and all; but in reality, you don't need to make it that complicated. You can drop your seeds (The grains) in the water, then drop more seeds in there (The hops), then drop your yeast in, and seal it (To carbonate). Wont be the best tasting beer, but it's beer, nonetheless.

Same with wine. People make it sounds really complicated to make, with extreme sanitation, benzonite, potassium sorbate, certain strains of yeast, specified times, go through several rackings, and then bottle aging, but in reality none of that is really "required" per se.

People many thousands of years ago were making both beer and wine. I don't think we can consider ancient Egyptians to have been consuming "processed foods".
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

It isn't about the processing in this case. Beer is made from grains, and grains are a no-no on paleo.

Which makes is really funny. Paleolithic man survived on many types of grains, which are nothing more than grass seeds.

The whole "paleo diet" seems funny to me, since nobody today can possibly eat like a paleolithic man, since there are very few (If any) of the paleolithic plant species around today, Not to mention, we've undergone several evolutionary steps since then. I think our appendix became vestigial in that time. And, paleolithic man ate lots of meat. Raw, of course, eaten right off the carcass.

And, this is also assuming the diet of paleolithic man was actually better than ours today. Most specimens of that era showed arteriosclerosis (Hardening the arteries due to poor diet) by "old age" (30 years or so).
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I cut out alot of processed foods with the exception of a few.
    I cut out most gluten because I found that I am sensitive to it so I don't eat much of it. I think eating too much wheat and processed corn is a huggge problem in America.

I hardly ever eat any mixes. Not only because they are made of crappy ingredients but they taste like it too. haha

What I do like:
    Grillmates dried marinades packets - because its simply spices and then you add your own olive oil, vinegar and water.

I am okay with GF or regular flour, sugar, cornstarch, cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt- basically pantry ingredients that is too time consuming to prep yourself but it still in raw form. With a little extra time and effort you can make all the " processed boxed foods" recipes but from scratch.

I used to be okay with pasta, I am okay with GF pasta. Rice is fine being slightly processed

Fruits veggies and other raw produce

Coffee, naturally brewed tea with simple syrup (we make too)

Some*** canned veggies that don't have sugar or salt added.. I don't like canned corn, green beans or anything like that. Its mostly beans, tomatoes, sauce, and stuff to make other recipes.

A lot of ice creams, fruit pops, chocolate are put together with just a couple ingredients.

The hubby and I are foodies so we make and smoke our own sausages, smoke our own meat and he does the mico brew thing and makes mead, beer, hard cider and is thinking about doing wine because fruit is in season. We have happy friends come Christmas when we pass them out as gifts. :)
    We are thinking about making and smoking our own cheese.

My point. There are ways around it, you just need to want it enough. :)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Which makes is really funny. Paleolithic man survived on many types of grains, which are nothing more than grass seeds.

The whole "paleo diet" seems funny to me, since nobody today can possibly eat like a paleolithic man, since there are very few (If any) of the paleolithic plant species around today, Not to mention, we've undergone several evolutionary steps since then. I think our appendix became vestigial in that time. And, paleolithic man ate lots of meat. Raw, of course, eaten right off the carcass.

And, this is also assuming the diet of paleolithic man was actually better than ours today. Most specimens of that era showed arteriosclerosis (Hardening the arteries due to poor diet) by "old age" (30 years or so).

Funny is an understatement, imo. I have several friends who claim to be on it, but many of them are now calling themselves "primal" because they can't stick to the actual "paleo diet."

I find it hilarious that any modern person would look to the paleolithic era as some sort of nirvana of healthy diets. :laugh:
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    I've caught out everything processed and refined, which has helped tremendously with my weight loss and the way I feel. I slip up here and there and it amazes me how bad that junk makes you feel after you eat well for a period of time. Look up Whole30 online or get this book: It Starts With Food. I guarantee it will change your life.
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    I avoid foods like flour and sugar most days, but still allow myself the odd bit of bread, birthday cake, chocolate when i really fancy it. Going from eating bread/pasta 3 times a day to maybe only 3 times a week has made a massive difference becuase

a) im subsitituing pasta/bread for more vegetable and pulses which are lower calorie
    b) i dont get the bloat assosiated with over indulging in gluten

Works for me, but every body is different!!