Women's multivitamin makes me throw up

Options
LaurenAOK
LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
I purchased a women's multivitamin a little while ago to start taking. The first morning I took it, I threw up within 5 minutes. At the time, I didn't connect it with the multivitamin - I just thought it was a stomach bug and even got scared I might be pregnant! Then I took it again and the same thing happened. I finally realized it was the vitamin. I think because it has extra iron in it, that might be the cause. So I started taking half doses - half in the morning, and half at night. That seemed to work for a while.

But then I got lazy and kept forgetting to take it. It's been a couple of months and I just started taking it again. Now, even when I take the half dose I feel extremely nauseous. I just took it and sat here feeling like I was going to puke for a few minutes. I ran for the bathroom twice - luckily nothing actually happened. I've tried taking it with food and that seems to help a tad, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Anyway, obviously I'm going to just stop taking it - I'll pick up a regular multivitamin next time I'm at the store, without extra iron for women (I'm assuming that's what it is). I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this or why I might be so sensitive to it?

*EDITED TO ADD* I have tried taking it after eating a substantial meal and I have also tried taking it at night. Still makes me really nauseous.

I've gotten some good suggestions so far though, so I'll try another brand out. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Are you taking it with food?

I tried taking a multivitamin without food and threw up immediately.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You said you were taking it in the morning. Are you taking it with a meal? Or on an empty stomach? I would try switching to taking it after dinner or after your evening snack, so that it's 'working' while you're sleeping.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options

Yeah like I said, I've tried with food and it helps but I still get nauseous. I ate before I took it today (okay, it was ice cream, but still) and I still felt like I was going to throw up for sure. And I've taken it before with a substantial meal and still felt fairly sick.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Check the amount of Iron in it. If it has iron, that may be what is making you feel sick. Iron forms from multivitamins often make people feel sick.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Maxine capsules are the ONLY multi-vitamin I can take without making me sick to my stomach. And I don't even HAVE to eat with it, still dont get sick. I do take the one without iron though (I don't need the extra iron for, ya know, that one reason).
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Yeah like I said, I've tried with food and it helps but I still get nauseous. I ate before I took it today (okay, it was ice cream, but still) and I still felt like I was going to throw up for sure. And I've taken it before with a substantial meal and still felt fairly sick.

Oops. Missed that.
  • AlFreebs
    AlFreebs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue and after doing some research, I decided it was caused by the iron + empty stomach combo. It's fairly common. However, as long as I took it with a substantial meal and after drinking a few glasses of water, I would be fine. Empty stomach though, game over. Just find something that works for you!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Maybe try a different brand? Is there anything about the pill that is gross like its smell? I got this one brand of prenatals that just smelled so vile.

I have taken regular prenatals daily for about 2 years and a womens multivitamin for years before that without any tummy upset. However, I have heard it can happen to people.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    So don't take it?
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I started taking those gummy vitamins and didn't have any problems with those, though they aren't as complete as the Women's with Iron that I probably SHOULD be taking.
  • ska41
    ska41 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yep. Totally can't handle multi vitamins with any iron in them. I'm almost instantly sick whether it's on a full tummy or not, am or pm. I take a multi without the iron - no problems.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Certain brands make me feel sick. I had to shop around until I found one that worked for me. I also have to make sure I consume enough fat before I eat it. Even if it says water soluble it doesn't matter. I need a spoonfull of nut butter or something to go with it or it will make me sick.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    So don't take it?

Wow, I never thought of that! Thanks for reading my whole post and offering this helpful advice :happy:
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Try taking them after your biggest meal, say dinner. Also, make sure to chug it down with a FULL glass of water. That's the only way I'm able to handle it.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Thanks for all the help - sounds like it is an iron problem. I'll try a few different brands and nothing with as much iron as I'm taking now. Also, that's interesting about needing fat with it - maybe that's been part of the problem as well!
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Some of them do that to me too. Try Rainbow Light brand. I can take them on an empty stomach with zero problems, but Centrum makes me nauseous, even when taken with food.
  • LaurenAOK
    Options
    Also, I have tried taking it at night - still feel incredibly nauseous. It makes it really hard to fall asleep :(

I think a different brand is key, I'll check out some of the suggestions y'all mentioned. Thanks!
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    You're pregnant?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    So don't take it?

Wow, I never thought of that! Thanks for reading my whole post and offering this helpful advice :happy:

You're welcome.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I take mine with dinner (my biggest meal). Otherwise, I get nausea. I've also found that the prenatal work better for my system. A regular women's stops me up I assume it's either a calcium or iron problem.