Please explain exercise calories to me

Options
Why are they so high. I entered in that I would do 60 minutes of ellipitical training today. MFP told me i'd burn 607 calories. That seems EXTREMELY high for me. I'm assuming that it is taking into consideration my height and my weight, but really, why are they so high? I tried to do a search in community for this, and most people were asking if they were meant to eat those calories. Please explain how in the world I can burn 607 calories with an hour on an elliptical. If it helps, I'm 148lbs.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    All exercise calorie burns are over inflated no matter the method you use to calculate calorie burns (HRM's, wrist devices (activity trackers) cardio machine computer output, phone app/web app, MFP exercise calculations)..

This explains it well..

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

exercise is explained also in this link as well.

http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/#exercise
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It's generally recognised that MFP (and most cardio gym equipment - Think cycles, treadmills etc) report on the high side.

Why something has not been done in MFP to correct or bring the figures back to somewhere near accurate I don't know, but the best advice is to only eat back half of your exercise cals.

• KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that the fitbit step count to calorie burns are over inflated (the type you get via linking your fitbit to your MFP account). Mine seems to be pretty close and many other people report that too. However yes other burns are crazy high.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    NinaSharp wrote: »
    Why are they so high. I entered in that I would do 60 minutes of ellipitical training today. MFP told me i'd burn 607 calories. That seems EXTREMELY high for me. I'm assuming that it is taking into consideration my height and my weight, but really, why are they so high? I tried to do a search in community for this, and most people were asking if they were meant to eat those calories. Please explain how in the world I can burn 607 calories with an hour on an elliptical. If it helps, I'm 148lbs.

What's your age and height?
  • NinaSharp
    NinaSharp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    NinaSharp wrote: »

What's your age and height?

30, 5'6"