Eating before bed?

2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    As someone with a severe gi disorder I can tell you from experience that you do not stop digesting food when you are sleeping! Science education is seriously lacking these days
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Whoever said you don't digest food while you're sleeping is silly. I personally stop eating around 8-830pm because of sleep disruption. If you don't experience health issues, then go ahead and eat before bed!
  • JP_909
    JP_909 Posts: 816 Member
    Depends on what your eating
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...All that fat can't be burned because you're going sleep...

No.

If your metabolism went to sleep when you did, you'd wake up dead.

Nobody wants to wake up dead.

Actually, if we want to get scientific about it, your body burns the greatest percentage of fat while you're at rest/asleep.

What if my goal is to become a zombie? Can I wake up dead then?

OP, eat as late as you like. As long as you remain in a calorie deficit for the week you will continue to lose weight. If it causes disturbances to your sleep, then it is best to give yourself a little time. All of which is a repeat of what others have said already.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,244 Member
    I even have a custom caregory in my diary 'Before bed meal'. I always prelog it first thing so that I can be sure I'll have enough calories for it.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    I used to have to be done eating 3 hours prior to bed time (or maybe even 4, it has been a while) due to medication I took right before going to sleep for my narcolepsy - I had to take it on an empty stomach. It didn't help me lose any weight to stop eating earlier (I probably gained weight because I wasn't watching my calories at that point) an honestly I hated it because it was difficult to eat that early because of my job. But since I don't take that medication anymore I can eat any time and I prefer to have a snack before bed. And I am not having any problems losing weight, as I am keeping my calories within the recommended amount. Unless you have specific medical reason like taking a medication or acid reflux there isn't really a reason to stop early. It won't matter in terms of losing weight. It is just really what you prefer to do.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    It doesn't affect weight loss if the night food fits your calorie goal. Personally, I've been trying not to eat at least three hours before bed because I end up having to wake up too frequently to use the bathroom. I just keep busy with studies or other activities until bedtime to keep my mind off of food. Time goes by quickly.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    if you eat before bed the food just sits in your stomach and rots.

That's called digestion...
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited October 2016
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    if you eat before bed the food just sits in your stomach and rots.

That's called digestion...

Yeh she said it sits there all night and doesn't get digested (sorry should have quoted the video word for word I forget people on here pick at the slightest little thing you say)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Eating before going to bed is a very bad idea. It is better to have dinner at a proper time, then a yogurt or a cup of milk (but no cookies) but no meal at night time. There is this good article for you to read. Here: findwritingservice.com/blog/the-secret-of-losing-weight-fast-and-its-consequences There are many more articles to read.

If eating before going to bed is a bad idea, I'd like you to tell me how I've lost 115 pounds since last July doing just that. Oh, and I also usually only eat two meals a day.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited October 2016
    Eating before going to bed is a very bad idea. It is better to have dinner at a proper time, then a yogurt or a cup of milk (but no cookies) but no meal at night time. There is this good article for you to read. Here: findwritingservice.com/blog/the-secret-of-losing-weight-fast-and-its-consequences There are many more articles to read.

Do you own that writing service @Nickolas123530

Seriously this just made me giggle. I haven't even got time to list everything incorrect in this article.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,999 Member

Absolute nonsense @Nickolas123530
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,144 Member

Wow. That blog is really, really, really bad. And wrong. And just... bad.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 247 Member
    I agree with the majority of users on MFP that calories are calories and what and when you eat doesn't make much difference for weight loss. I have lost over 50 pounds usually earing a big diner and a late night snack.

However, I am now experimenting with NOT eating at night as I realize that my most challenging time to watch what I eat is at night. I associate night time with eating and probably gained the majority of my weight after 8 pm.

Since I'm logging, I can usually keep myself within my calories at night. But if I stop logging at some point (I'm very close to maintenance), I suspect I will gain from evening eating.

We all need to find what works for each of us.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member

Nickolas pls go.