Eating before bed?

Hey guys! Why is eating right before bed so bad? And any tips for cutting that out? It's the one thing I struggle with the most.

Replies

• roneishahall
    roneishahall Posts: 3 Member
    I don't. Do you know why some people stop eating after 7 or 8?
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    I stop eating early since for me it seems to work better to have more time for my body to digest the food, not sure whether it is acid reflux or something else, but i find it more comfortable for me when i eat some hours before bedtime, but there is no rigid rule, if I'm hungry late at night I eat. You may have to find what works best for you....
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Maybe reflux, comfort or sleep disruption. I eat right before bed every night. I have dinner late and popcorn after dinner. That's my preference just as not eating after 7pm may be someone else's.
  • ItzLahLah2u
    ItzLahLah2u Posts: 172 Member
    My body won't release weight unless I stop eating three hours prior to bed time. I watch the scale to see how my body reacts and go from there. #do whatever will achieve your desired results
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,527 Member
    My last snack is, and pretty much always has been, about an hour before I go to bed. Makes no difference to my weight.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Ooh I love eating right before bed. Probably will never stop. Pint of halo top ice cream tonight...an most nights.
  • bluedood
    bluedood Posts: 1 Member
    oh great post i thought if you ate before bed it was bad for you.
  • LyiannaTameka
    LyiannaTameka Posts: 34 Member
    Okay, well I lost 30lbs in 3 months & I ALWAYS ate late at night (bad habit) so I think we can safely rule out weight loss. Eating late doesn't affect weight loss, it's just not good. All that fat can't be burned because you're going sleep.

I would maybe an apple and orange before bed. That's not too bad, so you can try that.

Good luck ❤️.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,999 Member
    edited October 2016
    Eating before bed and weight gain is a myth. It makes no difference...

CICO...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Gosh I literally eat chocolate covered peanuts in bed watching TV every night before lights out.. I am convinced that I sleep better doing this.. so this has been determined actually good for my health.. :)
  • This content has been removed.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Gosh I literally eat chocolate covered peanuts in bed watching TV every night before lights out.. I am convinced that I sleep better doing this.. so this has been determined actually good for my health.. :)

:o I hope you brush your teeth afterwards.

Are you going to tell my dentist if I don't..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    I don't. Do you know why some people stop eating after 7 or 8?
    Because they've reached their calorie limit by dinner and eating after that would be a surplus.
    Here's the dumb thing that people don't realize. If they stopped eating after 7pm then started again at 7am, that's 12 hours of fasting. Consequently, if one ate up to 11:30pm and then resumed again at 12:00pm, that's a 12.5 hour fast as well. That's basically what I do. I skip breakfast. Why do I eat that way? Because habitually I like to eat at night. So I compensate by not eating in the morning. It's NO DIFFERENT than what people do when they stop eating after 7pm.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Okay, well I lost 30lbs in 3 months & I ALWAYS ate late at night (bad habit) so I think we can safely rule out weight loss. Eating late doesn't affect weight loss, it's just not good. All that fat can't be burned because you're going sleep.

I would maybe an apple and orange before bed. That's not too bad, so you can try that.

Good luck ❤️.
    Wat?

So, you're saying the body stops when we go to sleep?
    Seriously?
    How does this explain coma patients with feeding tubes @LyiannaTameka ? They don't gain weight, they maintain it.

Also, doesnt the body still use energy to keep you alive (breathing, digesting, brain function, blood pumping, plus.more) while you are sleeping? Guess what? You even burn body fat while you're sleeping.

Hint: the metabolism runs 24/7. You wont get fat by eating before bed time. Your body does not stop when you are sleeping or laying down.

• fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    A Youtuber who advises people on healthy living and has a book said if you eat before bed the food just sits in your stomach and rots. I couldn't believe she really believed that yet alone advised others of this. People will believe alot that these so called healthy Youtubers say.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,134 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Eating late doesn't affect weight loss, it's just not good. All that fat can't be burned because you're going sleep.

That's ridiculous.

Agreed.

@LyiannaTameka you lost 30 pounds in 3 months and you always ate late at night. How do you think you lost weight if fat can't be burned while sleeping? Eating late at night is not a problem if you don't go over your calories. It might cause sleep problems or reflux problems but that has nothing to do with weight loss. I almost always have a snack before bed. It didn't hinder my weight loss and it hasn't affected my maintenance.