Bulking goals

Options
Hey everyone, I'm 5'7", currently weighing around 152-155 lbs with a bf % of 11-13 %. My goal for now is to be 160-163 lbs at 10% bf or lower. Right now I decided to bulk. My question to you all is for those who know a lot about doing this, is to what weight should I aim to bulk at. Ive been told 190 or even 200?? But idk. I've also heard "bulk until you feel you're too fat" I mean that's a good suggestion but I'm looking more for numbers here. Once I figure out much to bulk to, I plan on doing it slowly even if it takes me 6 months or a year to slowly gain that weight to avoid gaining too much fat, once I get to that point, I plan on cutting back down. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I believe many of the fitness pros out there suggest that men stop bulking around 16% body fat. After that insulin sensitivity drops and getting higher can have a negative impact on testosterone.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I believe many of the fitness pros out there suggest that men stop bulking around 16% body fat. After that insulin sensitivity drops and getting higher can have a negative impact on testosterone.

15% is the figure normally stated.

OP at 152lbs @ 13% you have 132lbs of lean body mass.
    If you want to be 160lbs @ 10% you will need to get to 144lbs of lean body mass.

As a natural this would take anywhere from 2-3 years assuming that you are not a beginner. I would set your surplus at 250-300 per day and look to gain 0.5-0.75lbs per week. Then when you reach 15% bodyfat do a mini cut to get back down to 12%ish before recommencing your bulk.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I find trying to work out my body fat a bit of a pain. There's plenty of comparison images but some days I just look leaner and when you're trying to figure the difference between 12% and 15% it's not easy.

I'm going to continue lean bulking during the Winter.

I have set an upper limit for my waist of 31.5" which will mark the start of my cut, taking my waist down to 30.5" before starting a lean bulk again.

Stats
    Male, 5'6"
    Current weight. 138lb, waist 31"
    Goal weight. 140lb, waist 30"

• trigden1991
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I find trying to work out my body fat a bit of a pain. There's plenty of comparison images but some days I just look leaner and when you're trying to figure the difference between 12% and 15% it's not easy.

I'm going to continue lean bulking during the Winter.

I have set an upper limit for my waist of 31.5" which will mark the start of my cut, taking my waist down to 30.5" before starting a lean bulk again.

Stats
    Male, 5'6"
    Current weight. 138lb, waist 31"
    Goal weight. 140lb, waist 30"

You can't use those images to measure bodyfat as everyone has different levels of muscularity and bodyfat distribution. The only 2 accurate ways to get a measure are calipers or DEXA scans.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Really depends what you are looking for. If you want to stay more lean, than you can go through a few bulk/cut cycles or even recomp, or if you dont mind, bulk until you become uncomfortable with yourself. I personally don't get caught up in the specific weight (with either weight loss or bulk) as it can force you to make decisions not in your best interest.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you realize it but your ranges actually put you at gaining between 7 to 14 lbs of muscle if you take your lowest gain stats (155@11% to 160@10% vs 152@13% to 163@10%), which is a huge difference. If we take a 10lb gain as being reasonable, and assume you are not going to gain the max anymore due to age and training experience, I would estimate you could gain about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound per week on a solid bulk of 1lb per week gain. If we go for the optimistic 1/3 then it would take you 3 weeks to gain a pound of muscle but about will gain 2 pounds of fat and you will need 30 weeks to gain 10lbs. This will mean you will be up 30lbs so 185lbs @ 20% BF but when you start to cut you'll lose some muscle as well.

So that's over 6 months and you still won't get to where you really want to be, and that's probably if everything is hitting on all cylinders. I would say you will have to do two or three bulk/cut cycles to get to where you want and probably about a year.
  • travisk8s
    travisk8s Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Your 2 inches shorter than me but my starting weight was only 148 now I'm 169lbs. I'm not sure what my bf% is tbh I just posted a progress pic though. I'm dirty bulking bc it's faster and more convienent. I probably won't stop for a few more months trying to reach 185. So maybe you should shoot for 175-185
  • psuLemon
    Options
    travisk8s wrote: »
    Your 2 inches shorter than me but my starting weight was only 148 now I'm 169lbs. I'm not sure what my bf% is tbh I just posted a progress pic though. I'm dirty bulking bc it's faster and more convienent. I probably won't stop for a few more months trying to reach 185. So maybe you should shoot for 175-185

It doesn't have faster muscle growth. It's definitely faster at fat growth though.
  • trigden1991
    Options

Enjoy your long drawn out diet to get lean. This is not the way to do it!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

+1 dirty bulk is only really recommended for those who have a good drug cycle for both anabolic and cutting phases. As mentioned above a few times, when you go above a certain BF% you start gaining more fat and less muscle and that trend continues as you go up.
  • trigden1991
    Options

+1 dirty bulk is only really recommended for those who have a good drug cycle for both anabolic and cutting phases. As mentioned above a few times, when you go above a certain BF% you start gaining more fat and less muscle and that trend continues as you go up.

Even with "supplements" I don't think it is recommended. However that is for different reasons!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Even with "supplements" I don't think it is recommended. However that is for different reasons!

LOL no I wouldn't take the fat cutters, they are far worse than the anabolic agents!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you realize it but your ranges actually put you at gaining between 7 to 14 lbs of muscle if you take your lowest gain stats (155@11% to 160@10% vs 152@13% to 163@10%), which is a huge difference. If we take a 10lb gain as being reasonable, and assume you are not going to gain the max anymore due to age and training experience, I would estimate you could gain about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound per week on a solid bulk of 1lb per week gain. If we go for the optimistic 1/3 then it would take you 3 weeks to gain a pound of muscle but about will gain 2 pounds of fat and you will need 30 weeks to gain 10lbs. This will mean you will be up 30lbs so 185lbs @ 20% BF but when you start to cut you'll lose some muscle as well.

So that's over 6 months and you still won't get to where you really want to be, and that's probably if everything is hitting on all cylinders. I would say you will have to do two or three bulk/cut cycles to get to where you want and probably about a year.

OKay so you seemed very informative, however I'm a little confused on reading your post. So all in all you're saying I need to do 2-3 week bulk and cutting cycles? How does that even work, that just seems to short of amount of time to see any changes in either phase, no?
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

OKay so you seemed very informative, however I'm a little confused on reading your post. So all in all you're saying I need to do 2-3 week bulk and cutting cycles? How does that even work, that just seems to short of amount of time to see any changes in either phase, no?

You have completely misinterpreted his point. Just eat more and keep lifting until you're too fat, then diet.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I think he is suggestion that you should do a few cycles to gain the amount of mass that you want. Although, the amount of muscle gained per week is a bit questionable. If this is your first time bulk, then I don't see it being unreasonable to gain 1/2lb per week, considering adequate nutrition and progressive training.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I think he is suggestion that you should do a few cycles to gain the amount of mass that you want. Although, the amount of muscle gained per week is a bit questionable. If this is your first time bulk, then I don't see it being unreasonable to gain 1/2lb per week, considering adequate nutrition and progressive training.

Yes, I'm suggesting about a year and a half to two years to get where he really wants. The 1/2 pound per week isn't likely to happen for him. It has little to do with bulking and more to do with lifting experience and prior muscle gains. The OP is obviously not a novice lifter so he has probably already gained over half of the muscle he will be able to already thus the 1/2lb per week is not going to happen. Also he is in his 30's, although barely, and this puts him beyond the prime gaining age range already; that ends around 26.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

You have completely misinterpreted his point. Just eat more and keep lifting until you're too fat, then diet.

Yes, don't over complicate things lol. Although the calculations show he will need to bulk/cut two or three times it's not something you need to get too involved in. Just eat, lift, cut, repeat till you are where you want to be.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I know what you mean by stating this but its not entirely true.

I do dirty bulks mostly. I don't gain a ridiculous amount of fat because I'm a extremely active person. It might not be ideal for most, but it's relative to the individual and how many calories a person burns during the bulk and of course recovery for gaining muscle.

[
    Just eat more and keep lifting until you're too fat, then diet.

OP this ^^^