Bulking goals

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    travisk8s wrote: »
    Your 2 inches shorter than me but my starting weight was only 148 now I'm 169lbs. I'm not sure what my bf% is tbh I just posted a progress pic though. I'm dirty bulking bc it's faster and more convienent. I probably won't stop for a few more months trying to reach 185. So maybe you should shoot for 175-185

Enjoy your long drawn out diet to get lean. This is not the way to do it!

I know what you mean by stating this but its not entirely true.

I do dirty bulks mostly. I don't gain a ridiculous amount of fat because I'm a extremely active person. It might not be ideal for most, but it's relative to the individual and how many calories a person burns during the bulk and of course recovery for gaining muscle.

Your concept of a dirty bulk is wrong. As much as I hate the concept of dirty/clean bulk, a dirty bulk generally means you gained a lot of fat.

Or are you referring to your diet during your bulk incorporating "dirty" food?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Your 2 inches shorter than me but my starting weight was only 148 now I'm 169lbs. I'm not sure what my bf% is tbh I just posted a progress pic though. I'm dirty bulking bc it's faster and more convienent. I probably won't stop for a few more months trying to reach 185. So maybe you should shoot for 175-185

I do dirty bulks mostly. I don't gain a ridiculous amount of fat because I'm a extremely active person. It might not be ideal for most, but it's relative to the individual and how many calories a person burns during the bulk and of course recovery for gaining muscle.

Your concept of a dirty bulk is wrong. As much as I hate the concept of dirty/clean bulk, a dirty bulk generally means you gained a lot of fat.

No, I'm not referring to that.

I eat all types of food during cut or bulk.

I ate between 5-10 k daily in calories this last dirty bulk by guessing?!?

Did not pay attention to my food calories or calories burned. Hence dirty bulk.

Clean bulk is staying at a small surplus while dirty bulk is a no limit surplus regardless of types of food in either styles.. My definition is true I would hazard.

Majority of people gain alot of fat during a dirty bulk, but not everyone depending on how active they are, which is my point.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

As he replied above, he understands the concept of clean and dirty bulking very well. Dirty doesn't necessarily mean a lot of fat but does mean more than you would do in a smaller surplus. I really don't like the terms dirty and clean because they are really not good descriptors of the reality. You are either doing a lean bulk, minimizing fat gains, or a bulk where you gain more fat. I'm not sure what you would call the more fat gaining bulk in this case but, of course, there are a lot of ranges you can gain in fat to muscle ratios during a bulk so maybe a high and low fat bulk?

Also, the older and more experienced you are in lifting the more you will tend to a higher fat ratio in your bulks anyway.
  • trigden1991
    Options

As he replied above, he understands the concept of clean and dirty bulking very well. Dirty doesn't necessarily mean a lot of fat but does mean more than you would do in a smaller surplus. I really don't like the terms dirty and clean because they are really not good descriptors of the reality. You are either doing a lean bulk, minimizing fat gains, or a bulk where you gain more fat. I'm not sure what you would call the more fat gaining bulk in this case but, of course, there are a lot of ranges you can gain in fat to muscle ratios during a bulk so maybe a high and low fat bulk?

Also, the older and more experienced you are in lifting the more you will tend to a higher fat ratio in your bulks anyway.

My interpretation of "dirt bulk" is obviously slightly different. As you correctly stated though, there is no quantifiable measure of how clean/dirty a bulk is.

I would add though, consuming 5-10k calories daily does not sound correct unless you are 300+ lbs. For reference I am 6'3" and 240lbs @ 16% and maintain around 3000cals.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

My interpretation of "dirt bulk" is obviously slightly different. As you correctly stated though, there is no quantifiable measure of how clean/dirty a bulk is.

I would add though, consuming 5-10k calories daily does not sound correct unless you are 300+ lbs. For reference I am 6'3" and 240lbs @ 16% and maintain around 3000cals.

For most cases you would be right but Lanny works heavy construction so he does have far higher requirements than most.
  • trigden1991
    Options

For most cases you would be right but Lanny works heavy construction so he does have far higher requirements than most.

Interesting. Still sounds a bit off to me.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2016
    Options

It depends, I can maintain around 3200 at only 160lbs when I'm at my most active and I know people that maintain in the 4K to 5K range easily due to activity and size. When you are on your feet for 10+ hours a day you can really pound out the NEAT calories! http://www.lhsfna.org/index.cfm/lifelines/march-2005/burning-calories-on-the-job/

As an aside, when I was in training in the military I could easily consume 6K a day and lose around a pound a day or 3 pounds when water loss was added on top.
  • Chieflrg
    edited November 2016
    Options

I am 6'3" 212lbs 12%bf at 47 years old and maintain in 4200-4500 range. I'm no where close to 300lbs :).

I'm retired, but like I said I'm extremely active which burns a lot of calories. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I mentioned as did David, not all dirty bulks mean extreme fat that takes forever to lose.

Example I catch double headers in the summertime for baseball. That activity for seven hours alone burns crazy numbers.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I am 6'3" 212lbs 12%bf at 47 years old and maintain in 4200-4500 range. I'm no where close to 300lbs :).

I'm retired, but like I said I'm extremely active which burns a lot of calories. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is why I mentioned as did David, not all dirty bulks mean extreme fat that takes forever to lose.

Example I catch double headers in the summertime for baseball. That activity for seven hours alone burns crazy numbers.

When did you retire? I hope it was because you wanted to and not medical reasons. Keep up the excellent work!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

It depends, I can maintain around 3200 at only 160lbs when I'm at my most active and I know people that maintain in the 4K to 5K range easily due to activity and size. When you are on your feet for 10+ hours a day you can really pound out the NEAT calories! http://www.lhsfna.org/index.cfm/lifelines/march-2005/burning-calories-on-the-job/

As an aside, when I was in training in the military I could easily consume 6K a day and lose around a pound a day or 3 pounds when water loss was added on top.

Hell, i have a desk job at 175 lbs and maintain at 3k and that is only with 5 to 6 hours of exercise a week.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

When did you retire? I hope it was because you wanted to and not medical reasons. Keep up the excellent work!

Got first signs of kidney failure little over a year ago. Oncologist was hoping it scar tissue from radiation, but it's pointing to RA is attacking them.

No worries, doing what I want & life is good. Thanks David, you too sir :).

• trigden1991
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Hell, i have a desk job at 175 lbs and maintain at 3k and that is only with 5 to 6 hours of exercise a week.

My TDEE must be extremely low for my LBM then :(
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

You work in Hell? We must be in the same company. ;)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

That's what I was thinking. You should probably be around 3600 to 4000 maintenance at 240 but as always YMMV.
  • trigden1991
    Options

That's what I was thinking. You should probably be around 3600 to 4000 maintenance at 240 but as always YMMV.

This has got me seriously thinking. I'm 240 @ 16% (ish), walk 10k steps a day and lift 5 times a week yet find my maintenance is around 3k. Interesting!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

This has got me seriously thinking. I'm 240 @ 16% (ish), walk 10k steps a day and lift 5 times a week yet find my maintenance is around 3k. Interesting!

You might want to get your metabolism measured just to see how accurate your logging is. If your metabolism is that much below expected there might be an issue that needs to be addressed.
  • trigden1991
    Options

You might want to get your metabolism measured just to see how accurate your logging is. If your metabolism is that much below expected there might be an issue that needs to be addressed.

Came in to give my opinion, leave questioning my own body haha Thanks for the advice man!
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Not sure if you realize it but your ranges actually put you at gaining between 7 to 14 lbs of muscle if you take your lowest gain stats (155@11% to 160@10% vs 152@13% to 163@10%), which is a huge difference. If we take a 10lb gain as being reasonable, and assume you are not going to gain the max anymore due to age and training experience, I would estimate you could gain about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pound per week on a solid bulk of 1lb per week gain. If we go for the optimistic 1/3 then it would take you 3 weeks to gain a pound of muscle but about will gain 2 pounds of fat and you will need 30 weeks to gain 10lbs. This will mean you will be up 30lbs so 185lbs @ 20% BF but when you start to cut you'll lose some muscle as well.

So that's over 6 months and you still won't get to where you really want to be, and that's probably if everything is hitting on all cylinders. I would say you will have to do two or three bulk/cut cycles to get to where you want and probably about a year.

OKay so you seemed very informative, however I'm a little confused on reading your post. So all in all you're saying I need to do 2-3 week bulk and cutting cycles? How does that even work, that just seems to short of amount of time to see any changes in either phase, no?

I think he is suggestion that you should do a few cycles to gain the amount of mass that you want. Although, the amount of muscle gained per week is a bit questionable. If this is your first time bulk, then I don't see it being unreasonable to gain 1/2lb per week, considering adequate nutrition and progressive training.

It's not really my first bulk per say. I mean I have started putting on weight and lifting, etc..for almost 2 years, part of that 2 years was interrupted and I stopped, but the last year I've been super consistent with everything. I decided to cut this past summer, someone at the gym convinced me to and I looked good but felt too small, so I decided to start bulking again the right way.
  • se015
    Options

I'd be curious to see how that looks since we're similar height. Do you feel like you're starting to look too heavy for your liking? I thnk you should monitor your bf % only because eventually after you reach your bulking point you're going to want to show the muscles you've gained and you'll need to know how much weight you need to lose in order to have less than 10% body fat which is when you really start seeing muscularity, below 10 is when the vascularity supposedly shows through too. I've never been less than 10%, and at that point I was around 149-150 lbs.
  • se015
    Options

+1 dirty bulk is only really recommended for those who have a good drug cycle for both anabolic and cutting phases. As mentioned above a few times, when you go above a certain BF% you start gaining more fat and less muscle and that trend continues as you go up.

Even with "supplements" I don't think it is recommended. However that is for different reasons!

LOL no I wouldn't take the fat cutters, they are far worse than the anabolic agents!

How are the fat cutters worse than anabolic agents?