Low Carb (no carb) diet help??

Options
Nniillaa
Nniillaa Posts: 3 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently, my friend has gone on a low carb diet and has lost 4 pounds in a week without any excersise! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't want to starve myself/treat my body unhealthily in any way I just want to lose weight healthily. Has anyone ever tried this kind of diet and what results should I actually expect (I want to lose 20 lbs)

Replies

• cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you lose a lot of water weight the first week of any plan, so that may be a lot of what your friend has lost. I generally try to eat lower carb, only because my body responds pretty well to that. (when I eat sugar and carbs my belly bloats like no ones business) It's possible to lose a lot of weight this way, but you would have to see for yourself. It definitely is not unhealthy, as your body can create it's own carbs to run systems on, but it will leave you a little foggy and tired for the first couple of weeks as your body becomes adapted to using fat as fuel.

All that said, if you are going to do any type of "diet" I would treat it more of a reset than a plan. If you love your carbs and there's no way you can sustain this type of plan forever you will gain back what you lose. It's just the nature of the beast. Try to find something that will be sustainable for you. Low carb works well for me, but again try it out for yourself.
  • hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be better off eating no processed/boxed/packaged foods. Like no chips, crackers, bread... At least that way you are still eating a balance diet with lean meats, healthy fats, fruits & vegetables. I think saying no or ultra low carb will get you to lose weight, but what's the point of being miserable for 6 months just to gain it back because you go back to eating the way you did before you started dieting. Weight loss is about lifestyle change, not a diet with an end date or goal weight. I wish it was just losing weight, it would be so much easier.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your friend - he/she lost four pounds of water and glycogen in a week, which is normal on low-carb diets.

You don't need to eat low/no carbs to lose weight, and you won't lose weight any faster on such a diet. All you need to do is eat less calories than you burn on a consistent basis.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    My friend lost 30 pounds on a low carb diet...and has since gained it all back.

Now, I completely support people who are low carb for medical reasons, but people who don't have that extra incentive and don't plan to stick to it are just asking for trouble.
  • fitness4thought1982
    Options
    I just want to say I am doing low carb (between 60 and 90grams a day)..and cutting down carbs is what works best for me ..the thing you have to remember is low carbs IS a very good way to lose weight but the reason why a lot of people do it is pretty obvious..carbs are extremely calorie dense and when you start cutting them down you will lose weight/fat because it's much much easier to stay within a calorie deficit (calories in vs calories out is what is important) ..when you cut down on carbs you can eat more because there are less calories in proteins and healthy fats ..so yes do low carb if that is what your body responds to ..it works because it frees up calories
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Nniillaa wrote: »
    Recently, my friend has gone on a low carb diet and has lost 4 pounds in a week without any excersise! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't want to starve myself/treat my body unhealthily in any way I just want to lose weight healthily. Has anyone ever tried this kind of diet and what results should I actually expect (I want to lose 20 lbs)

Keep in mind that most of that loss is water...one hallmark of a low carb diet is fast, initial water/glycogen losses...I suppose this could give some motivation but just be aware that it will ultimately slow down and over time, it's shown to be as effective for weight loss as anything else.

Also be aware that it is a pretty restrictive diet...people who do this eat high fat, moderate protein, and keep their carbs under 50 grams. Being as restrictive as it is I would suggest doing some research and reading up on this to see what you can and can't eat to see if it's something that would be right for you. I've tried in the past and just couldn't do it and hated eating that way...just eating a bunch of fat made me feel like crap.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I just want to say I am doing low carb (between 60 and 90grams a day)..and cutting down carbs is what works best for me ..the thing you have to remember is low carbs IS a very good way to lose weight but the reason why a lot of people do it is pretty obvious..carbs are extremely calorie dense and when you start cutting them down you will lose weight/fat because it's much much easier to stay within a calorie deficit (calories in vs calories out is what is important) ..when you cut down on carbs you can eat more because there are less calories in proteins and healthy fats ..so yes do low carb if that is what your body responds to ..it works because it frees up calories

Fat is more calorie dense than carbs...so this doesn't really make sense...but beyond that, when you cut out a whole macro group, you're in most cases going to reduce calories by default...
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight successfully (40+ lbs.) with a low carb diet. For me the hard part was keeping it off, which is why I ended up having to do it more than once. I got very tired of eating mostly meat, cheese and eggs and really missed things like whole grains and fruit. This time around I'm doing a more balanced way of eating even though I know it probably won't be as quick as low carb was for me. Sometimes it's easier to 'just say no' than to do 'everything in moderation' if you aren't good at being moderate.

Look at the list of allowed foods and those that are not allowed and see if they fit the way you like to eat. Too drastic a change probably won't be sustainable over the long term, and losing weight is really all about the long term. Yes, you can drop a lot of water weight in the first week or two, but that isn't fat. Losing weight always comes down to a calorie deficit in the end. Low carb does that by removing all sugar, processed foods and high carb foods from your diet. Can you live with that?
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am doing low carb, but I think the major benefit for me is the mental clarity, and the calming effect on my emotions.... I also have much less pain, I used to suffer from headaches due to a surgery I had three years ago... inflammation is gone at the site.
    I love creamy food, so it suits my taste [preferences also... I don't think I am losing weight any faster (than any calorie controlled diet) except the initial shedding of water... (but I love that that water is gone I had puffy wrists and ankles now they look healthy.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    There is nothing inherently wrong with any method of eating if you are hitting your calorie goal (being in a deficit). Your friend has lost mainly water weight which will appear back when she eats some carbs.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Any fad diet is unlikely to give you any problems for the first four to six weeks. But going on a diet should be an opportunity to change your eating habits to healthier options for life. If you don't like vegetables, fruit, grains, pulses, nuts or dairy and feel you can exist without carbohydrate you can try. But it leaves you with a pretty bland and unbalanced diet.
    Perhaps your friends are thinking about cutting out refined carbs - cakes, sweets, deserts, soft drinks. That's a very good idea. Any calorie restriction will see you lose weight. I'd opt for balance in my diet. There is no benefit to your diet in cutting out a whole food group - so why make life more difficult than it needs to be?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    Perhaps your friends are thinking about cutting out refined carbs - cakes, sweets, deserts, soft drinks. That's a very good idea.

Why? You can eat all those things, remain in a calorie deficit and lose weight.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Any fad diet is unlikely to give you any problems for the first four to six weeks. But going on a diet should be an opportunity to change your eating habits to healthier options for life. If you don't like vegetables, fruit, grains, pulses, nuts or dairy and feel you can exist without carbohydrate you can try. But it leaves you with a pretty bland and unbalanced diet.
    Perhaps your friends are thinking about cutting out refined carbs - cakes, sweets, deserts, soft drinks. That's a very good idea. Any calorie restriction will see you lose weight. I'd opt for balance in my diet. There is no benefit to your diet in cutting out a whole food group - so why make life more difficult than it needs to be?
    You can still eat vegetables, nuts and dairy on low carb. Also the carb range varies from person to person on "low carb". I tried "keto" for a month and found it to be too strict for my preference.

I'm doing 16:8 Intermittent Fasting with Low Carb for lunch and moderate carb for dinner (small potato or low 1/2 cup glycemic pasta or rice for example). The low carb lunch keeps me from craving food between meals.

I'm eating the small amount (dinner) of starchy veggie along with green and low calorie high fiber vegetables plus protein which keeps my blood sugar levels even.

You could try LCHF out, but it is no better for losing weight in the long run than any other plan if it doesn't produce satiety for you. On the other hand, if you do tend to get hunger or cravings it might blunt your appetite and help you create a deficit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are thousands of low carbers and keto'ers there who have had great success eating this way while losing, and improving their health.

For some, especially those with insulin resistance, which ends up being a fairly large portion of heavy people, eating LCHF can be a more effective way to lose weight. Yes, you will lose some water weight early on but of those 4lbs lost by your friend, I'm guessing only 2lbs is from water, at the most. If it happens to be more, that's okay too. That's a few pounds of bloating that is gone, and will remain gone as long as one eats LCHF.

I've been doing keto for about a year and a half. It helped me lose 2-3 lbs per week while eating at a small to moderate caloric deficit. No exercise. It improved my health by a fair bit so I am committed to eating LCHF for life. Higer carb diets may taste good but it isn't worth how it makes me feel. Besides, meat, veggies, dairy, eggs, and nuts all taste good too. I'm not missing much.

Good luck.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    You can still eat vegetables, nuts and dairy on low carb. Also the carb range varies from person to person on "low carb". I tried "keto" for a month and found it to be too strict for my preference.

I'm doing 16:8 Intermittent Fasting with Low Carb for lunch and moderate carb for dinner (small potato or low 1/2 cup glycemic pasta or rice for example). The low carb lunch keeps me from craving food between meals.

I'm eating the small amount (dinner) of starchy veggie along with green and low calorie high fiber vegetables plus protein which keeps my blood sugar levels even.

You could try LCHF out, but it is no better for losing weight in the long run than any other plan if it doesn't produce satiety for you. On the other hand, if you do tend to get hunger or cravings it might blunt your appetite and help you create a deficit.

You are absolutely right low carb does cover a multitude of different diets. But I'm always very wary of people thinking that low carb/high fat is a sensible long term strategy. (Without huge caveats).