Trader Joes

Options

Replies

• TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's reminds me of European grocery stores just with the way they utilize their space. I don't go there often, as I like Fresh Thyme, but I always get their little bags of dark chocolate peanut butter cups.

Their seal salt turbinado dark chocolate almonds are quite possibly sin itself in food form.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I wish we had one close by......all this sounds so yummy!!!

This-I've never been to one but cookie butter sounds absolutely amazing....
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's reminds me of European grocery stores just with the way they utilize their space. I don't go there often, as I like Fresh Thyme, but I always get their little bags of dark chocolate peanut butter cups.

Their seal salt turbinado dark chocolate almonds are quite possibly sin itself in food form.

We're getting a Fresh Thyme in my city soon. I'm excited! So it sounds like the quality of their products is pretty good, then.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I wish we had one close by......all this sounds so yummy!!!

This-I've never been to one but cookie butter sounds absolutely amazing....
    Check around the peanut butter section of your local grocery store. I've been seeing more and more of the stuff come out thanks to TJs.
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes! Addicted!
    I may be moving to Canada and am wondering how I will survive without my favorites:

Peanut butter pretzels
    Garlic Parmesan potatoes
    Red Thai curry sauce
    Marinated Kansas City roast
    Light feta cheese (so cheap!)
    Various fresh pastas
    Meatless meatballs
    Cheap frozen bell peppers and Brussel sprouts
    Dried coconut

• BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Chopped vegetables called "Healthy 8". Some of that stuff, left over chicken, trader Joe's Greek yogurt and some spices you got a great chicken salad for lunch.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    They have frozen chicken burger patties, chili lime or something, that are good and easy on the calorie balance. The chicken gyoza are an amazing calorie deal too. They used to have a peanut dressing that was good but I didn't see it last time I was there. Couple tbsp of that on a nice veggie salad was satisfying.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I can't get enough of Trader Joe's! I do most of my shopping there. Some of my faves are the cilantro chicken mini wantons (super low calorie and so good) and lately I've been munching on their pumpkin cranberry crisps and laughing cow cheese....such a good combo. Would be good with their mini brie bites too!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Has no one mentioned TJ's cookie thins? They're so good, especially the gingersnaps. Spicy, crispy, not overwhelmingly sweet, and full of flavor!
    Also, the serving is 9 cookie thins for about 120-140 calories. I often have 4 or 5 with tea for a snack or dessert, and it's well under 100 calories.

Side note: people have told me I like "old lady flavors," so maybe the lemon and gingersnap aren't for everyone. :)

Also, marinara (I think recipe #9 or something - can't quite remember). Low cal, low sugar, low cost, and tastes the way I want jarred sauce to taste. I keep that in my pantry.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. I've been meaning to make my first trip to a Trader Joe's and now I have some great suggestions.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    ALL the nuts, "Unexpected cheddar," my daughter likes "minty mouthfuls" <--ice cream sandwiches for 60 cal. DH has been hitting the minty mouthfuls, too, of late.

They also sell a shelf stable heavy whipping cream. Fascinating. I like having it on hand, and I like that it's a small size (less waste). Ultrapasturized so it keeps a long time.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I got the hummus quad thing there yesterday.
    Delicious.

I have a question on the apple chicken sausages people keep mentioning....I'm not much of a sausage person but have only ever tried pork sausage, turkey sausage and once a chicken sausage from a regular grocery store (Kroger.) I enjoyed none of them. Too salty and just...the texture maybe? So, are these apple chicken ones from TJ's to die for and I should try them? What do you put on them? Anything? Thanks!
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    joans1976 wrote: »
    I am so glad I got the hummus quad thing there yesterday.
    Delicious.

I have a question on the apple chicken sausages people keep mentioning....I'm not much of a sausage person but have only ever tried pork sausage, turkey sausage and once a chicken sausage from a regular grocery store (Kroger.) I enjoyed none of them. Too salty and just...the texture maybe? So, are these apple chicken ones from TJ's to die for and I should try them? What do you put on them? Anything? Thanks!

For me, I like to grill them and get a good chat on the outside. That helps with the texture. I put them on buns with whatever toppings you like or in pasta. I like them, but I wouldn't say "to die for".
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned the pickles! Love their pickles, the pre-cut veggies and fruit, cauliflower rice, nut selection and baking section. I don't understand how people can do the majority of their shopping there though, both for the cost and the selection. Trader Joe's is small. I feel like it's more wine than grocery.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm so bummed. I went there yesterday hoping to get some Pumpkin Biscotti. It's gone.. :/
  • CooCooPuff
    Options
    Hope228 wrote: »
    I'm so bummed. I went there yesterday hoping to get some Pumpkin Biscotti. It's gone.. :/
    Out if stock or gone for good
  • dragon_girl26
    Options

This would be one of my few complaints with Trader Joes. I realize this particular item is seasonal, but there have been many times I've gone in looking for everyday items to find that they are out of stock. Seems like they tend to have supply problems, which is annoying when you don't live within easy driving distance of one of their stores...sigh..
  • CooCooPuff
    edited October 2016
    Options

This would be one of my few complaints with Trader Joes. I realize this particular item is seasonal, but there have been many times I've gone in looking for everyday items to find that they are out of stock. Seems like they tend to have supply problems, which is annoying when you don't live within easy driving distance of one of their stores...sigh..
    Yeah, this was my issue with their pumpkin spice cookie butter last year.

There was also the mushroom... chips I think? I never saw them.

• dragon_girl26
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »

Yeah, this was my issue with their pumpkin spice cookie butter last year.

Yeah, I tend to have it with their BBQ sauce. This year I lucked out and got in.there early enough to score some of the pumpkin spice cookie butter. Otherwise, I'd have to resort to ordering some again. :(