Depression anyone?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
edited October 2016 in Chit-Chat
It comes on and off for me.. Started 18 years ago. It seems that anything can set me off and I wonder if I'm bipolar sometimes... It makes friendships really difficult because I've been so hurt before and worried that people won't like me once they get to know me... (I lost all my friends when it started). Even when I get close to someone I second guess everything.

Can anyone relate? Losing weight hasn't changed anything.

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Do you know if your depression's a chemical imbalance or via trauma? Mine's traumatic, I am struggling with premature menopause because I never had children yet & now it's unrealistic, that I'd be able to find someone (I am currently single), build a relationship with them; for approximately a couple of years at least & then still have the ability, to even try; to have any!
  • Francl27
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Do you know if your depression's a chemical imbalance or via trauma? Mine's traumatic, I am struggling with premature menopause because I never had children yet & now it's unrealistic, that I'd be able to find someone (I am currently single), build a relationship with them; for approximately a couple of years at least & then still have the ability, to try; to have any!

It definitely started when I started working and life got hard.. then a divorce, losing friends, losing my father, infertility... so yeah, I don't think it has much to do with hormones (although PMS makes it worse).

I totally understand yours though... it sucks.
  • inkedShimewaza
    inkedShimewaza Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Yep - I have severe chronic depression along with severe OCD. Mine is definitely a chemical imbalance. I am on medication for it and, in general, the meds make a big difference. But situational stuff definitely can send me on a downward spiral if I am not careful.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Do you know if your depression's a chemical imbalance or via trauma? Mine's traumatic, I am struggling with premature menopause because I never had children yet & now it's unrealistic, that I'd be able to find someone (I am currently single), build a relationship with them; for approximately a couple of years at least & then still have the ability, to try; to have any!

It definitely started when I started working and life got hard.. then a divorce, losing friends, losing my father, infertility... so yeah, I don't think it has much to do with hormones (although PMS makes it worse).

I totally understand yours though... it sucks.

It seems you were stretching yourself, too thin; taking on too much responsibility & it became traumatically stressful. Possibly decreasing anything unnecessary & seeking help/counseling, to learn new avenues; to cope with necessary hardships!

For me I am trying to develop, a new purpose to live; since that was my purpose!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Hey there. Yep - I have severe chronic depression along with severe OCD. Mine is definitely a chemical imbalance. I am on medication for it and, in general, the meds make a big difference. But situational stuff definitely can send me on a downward spiral if I am not careful.

I have OCD via my handwriting, it just has to look perfectly done; if it's something I plan to keep like a label!
  • inkedShimewaza
    Options
    My OCD is pretty all encompassing if I'm not medicated. It's almost impossible to function.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    My OCD is pretty all encompassing if I'm not medicated. It's almost impossible to function.

I am glad that medication, is helping you with your OCD; that's actually quite rare that it has any effect! Obviously typing/printing makes my OCD practically obsolete, otherwise I'd go through a forest; just writing a grocery list!
  • Francl27
    Options
    I'm really glad I don't have OCD. I feel for you guys... Mental illnesses suck!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I know exercise can help with depression.
  • Francl27
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Yeah I wonder sometimes how it would be if I didn't exercise. It probably wouldn't be pretty.

I heard that music helps too... so maybe that's why my walks with my music are so helpful. It's when I start thinking that it can turn ugly.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

That, and music. Sometimes I just have to toughen up and wait 'till depression episode runs it's course. Some people take meds, I can't tolerate them because of the side effects or contraindications. It is very hard sometimes
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

Yup. For me losing some weight was secondary to better eating and exercise, which both help me to have less issues with depression and control anxiety. The weight loss itself does help me feel more confident generally, but won't change depression. And even exercise and better eating only help control my bouts with it all. Nothing will rid you of it, which has been a challenge for me to except.

• inkedShimewaza
    Options

I am glad that medication, is helping you with your OCD; that's actually quite rare that it has any effect! Obviously typing/printing makes my OCD practically obsolete, otherwise I'd go through a forest; just writing a grocery list!

Yeah .. it took a while to find the right combo and, even with meds, it is a struggle. Sometimes I forget how much the meds actually do help and try going without for a spell. Always ends in disaster!
  • inkedShimewaza
    Options
    I'm really glad I don't have OCD. I feel for you guys... Mental illnesses suck!

Yup! It has almost taken everything from me on multiple occasions.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with depression at times. I'm doing pretty good now, but I can relate.
  • inkedShimewaza
    Options

If your depression is related to a chemical imbalance, losing weight won't help. Losing weight does help my self-esteem and there is definitely a link between my self-esteem and my depression but not a causality - if that makes any sense. For example, my depression WAS under control for a while. Then my wife informed that that she doesn't 'want' me anymore because of my weight gain. That sent my self-esteem plummeting which has triggered some issues with my depression. But my depression is not as bad as it has been in the past - thanks to my meds.

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I've fought depression for the past three years because of a difficult physical/medical situation. The only thing that will help me is getting out of/recovering from the problem.
  • gafford101
    gafford101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can relate...i hide my depression from everyone but my spouse and even he doesnt know the full extent of it....i should win an oscar for my life performance. ...mine is triggered from my pcos, lack of energy, infertility, debt, lack of solid friends and hurtful past relationships/ trust, and not feeling like i am reaching my potential....i can't take meds bc i am trying to get pregnant despite my infertility....i try getting Excercise but my mood usually stops me from getting there. ..
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder, and I just wanted to say that there's a lot more to it than just being "set off"...