Holiday feast vs workout

Options
How do you deal with the holiday's when it comes to working out and eating things that are bad for you?

Replies

• renae161
    renae161 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. This will be my first year making the feast, so I thought I'd get other's input on what they do when it's the holiday's and they need to workout.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    renae161 wrote: »
    How do you deal with the holiday's when it comes to working out and eating things that are bad for you?

Foods aren't bad for me, unless they're spoiled, or i'm allergic to them. The portion size might be bad though. To deal with that, i just eat slightly less the day before and after. :+1:
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    One of the things I've learned is that enjoying yourself for a meal here and there isn't going to undo all your hard work. Enjoy your holiday meal (or birthday or whatever celebration). It's what you do the other 364 days out of the year that make the difference.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get my workout done in the morning simply because I'm not good at sitting still and sitting around all day visiting with family and what not makes me antsy.

I don't eat differently on the holidays than I do any other day of the week so the availability of food isn't an issue for me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I will eat ALL the food, and probably not exercise much... but it's only a couple of days, so who really cares?!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. This will be my first year making the feast, so I thought I'd get other's input on what they do when it's the holiday's and they need to workout.

Workout schedule really shouldn't change that much. If you'd like, rearrange the schedule so the Holiday falls on a schedule off/rest day. The Holiday meal become your "cheat" meal. Do the math on the calories, if you're not going completely crazy, you won't be too far off. Work out the day before and the day after. Go for a walk in the morning of, after the dishes are done, or when you can fit it in.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you are making the food, you also might have more control over what's going in the food. Maybe you can make cuts/subs in areas that may go unnoticed by your guests?
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you're a runner or walker, you can sign up for a Turkey Trot race! And if you happen to be the holiday dinner cook, you can then say that you're tired from the race and only feel like making the foods you really want to eat :)
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving morning I do FitnessBlender's 1000 calorie workout and call it good.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'll try to get a workout in the morning and then just try not to eat so much that I feel sick.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I started my fitness journey on 10/31 last year, so I was right in the midst of the holidays when I was trying to lose weight. Like others have said, 1 day isn't going to hurt anything. On Thanksgiving Day, I exercised twice that day, but I ate what I wanted. I still lost weight by the following Monday. Normally, I do a lot of baking leading up to Christmas. I didn't do any last year because I knew I couldn't resist all of those treats. This year, I'm in maintenance so I'll probably bake again. So, just know that you cannot eat all of the holiday foods you want between Christmas and New Year's. However, enjoying meals / drinks on a few days isn't going to hurt anything...especially if you workout a little extra those days or on the days around it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why do you eat things that are "bad for you"?

• renae161
    Options
    I
    sijomial wrote: »

I'm vegetarian and I'm italian. I eat a lot of pasta's. A lot of carbs are in them, but I still love lasagna and manicotti
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't give a rat's *kitten* which holiday your calendar says it is. I proceed as normal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I

I'm vegetarian and I'm italian. I eat a lot of pasta's. A lot of carbs are in them, but I still love lasagna and manicotti

And you think these things are bad for you?

I eat a substantively plant based diet but not 100% vegetarian...I eat a lot of carbs...most people who eat a substantively plant based diet do...carbs aren't "bad"...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I

Carbs are not bad. Get out of that mode of thinking. Carbs are good sources of energy. What gets people into trouble is eating too much for their activity level over time. One day here or there is not a really big deal.

My holiday method is to eat up when it comes to the foods I don't get the rest of the year. Turkey, sweet potato casserole, certain cookies, I eat up. Mashed potatoes and gravy, even dinner rolls, meh. I like them but I get plenty of chances all year long to partake.
  • renae161
    Options
    I just always thought pasta's were bad. My dr is super fit and sent me to a nutritionist and basically told me I was fat and to not eat carbs cause they're bad for me. The nutritionist said I'm maybe 10-15 lbs over weight, but don't need to lose as much as the dr was saying and when I relayed the information to my dr, she said "no, the nutritionist is wrong you're at least 55-60lbs over weight." I recently changed dr's and this new one is one of those people who believes in ancient medicines and told me I need to lose 60lbs and that I am not to take anything with "chemical's" in them cause it effects my health.