Why am I gaining on a calorie deficit?

Options
Two years ago I weight 160lbs (5'5"). I went on the dukan diet (ketosis) and lost 40lbs in mere months. I remained on the diet and restricted my calorie intake up until currently from 2000, 1500, 1000, 700, 300, skipping meals (yes I realized I had developed a problem at 107lbs after doing this for 9 months) to now 700-1000 calories a day (splurging on the weekends). I have increased my calories to where there's still a deficit (averaging around 1200 a day) while maintaining physical exercise (burning 600 a day on top of the metabolic rate). I've noticed I am gaining weight with the deficit. I understand after years of "starving my body" my metabolism has decreased and my body had adjusted to the restricted intake. Now that I am eating around 1000-1200 a day and exercising when will my body adjust and I stop gaining weight? Please respond with facts and not with judgement.

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    How accurate have you been with your logging, and how much time has passed where you have been 'gaining'?

And may I ask your current weight, for a more complete view of your current frame? I know that feel on the food issues. So hard.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    How long have you been exercising and eating a 1200 calorie diet? What are your current stats?

No judging, we all struggle with something. so can you open your diary? are you weighing your food?
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    DO NOT continue with this diet plan. You are potentially damaging your bodies metabolism eating such a low caloric amount.

I would look into seeing a dietitian. You need to figure out a healthy amount of calories and excersice. It wouldn't hurt to see a doc as well and make sure nothing serious is going on, like blood sugar issues.

The human body is designed to consume a certain amount. It varies from person to person but 1300 is generally considered the basement. Anything under for extended periods of time can seriously cause health problems. 700 could put you in the hospital if you aren't careful.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Really no one can tell you when you will recover from this. Potential long term damage may be done, however there are many that have recovered with a lot of time and not only the mental aspect but from the physical/medical standpoint.

Have you been to a doctor for some blood work? Have you asked your doctor on the best approach for continuing with exercise and recommendations for getting back to your "real maintain" calories (this could take quite a while to do)?

And just know that even though you think this is still a "deficit", you have reached a new norm in which your maintain calories are much less than what you are eating now, hense you should get some medical advice.

My questions are, how are you measuring your intake? Food scale? How much weight have you gained back as a result of this?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    MGHuf wrote: »
    I have increased my calories to where there's still a deficit (averaging around 1200 a day) while maintaining physical exercise (burning 600 a day on top of the metabolic rate). I've noticed I am gaining weight with the deficit.

What exercise - cardio or strenght training?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I weight 160lbs (5'5"). I went on the dukan diet (ketosis) and lost 40lbs in mere months. I remained on the diet and restricted my calorie intake up until currently from 2000, 1500, 1000, 700, 300, skipping meals (yes I realized I had developed a problem at 107lbs after doing this for 9 months) to now 700-1000 calories a day (splurging on the weekends). I have increased my calories to where there's still a deficit (averaging around 1200 a day) while maintaining physical exercise (burning 600 a day on top of the metabolic rate). I've noticed I am gaining weight with the deficit. I understand after years of "starving my body" my metabolism has decreased and my body had adjusted to the restricted intake. Now that I am eating around 1000-1200 a day and exercising when will my body adjust and I stop gaining weight? Please respond with facts and not with judgement.

Assuming you're not miscalculating (are you weighing and measuring food?), have your thyroid levels checked. And make sure the test looks for antibodies because if you have Hashimoto's, your TSH can be perfectly normal depending on where you are in the cycle.

I had exactly this happen and it went on for years because I had awful doctors who ignored my symptoms and blood work, but it turns out I had Hashi's and was gaining weight while eating 1,000 calories a day AND exercising.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor recommend?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    rml_16 wrote: »

Assuming you're not miscalculating (are you weighing and measuring food?), have your thyroid levels checked. And make sure the test looks for antibodies because if you have Hashimoto's, your TSH can be perfectly normal depending on where you are in the cycle.

I had exactly this happen and it went on for years because I had awful doctors who ignored my symptoms and blood work, but it turns out I had Hashi's and was gaining weight while eating 1,000 calories a day AND exercising.

She's 5'5 and 107. Probably not low thyroid
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You recognize that your extended period of severely restricting your caloric intake has caused metabolic damage. Another way of saying that is that you forced your NEAT to decline. A mild case of such damage is often corrected with just a couple of weeks of eating at a slight surplus. However, your description of your experience seems to be a severe case of such damage. I mean to say, this looks like Biggest Loser damage, in which cases we don't yet know how long it takes to correct the damage. The '3500 calories = 1 lb fat' no longer applies in your case, and we don't know what does.

What is your weight today? You seem to realize that 107 was too low, and indeed it is too low for 5'5", but what do you weigh today?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Metabolic damage springs to mind. Estimate your maintenance and eat about 85-90% of this until your weight normalises. Also go and see a doctor or professional about your disordered thinking.

this ...

and any "gain" you are seeing would be glycogen replenishment from eating more calories, or as you say "binging on the weekends"
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The calculators for maintenance assume you haven't wrecked your metabolism through long-term restriction.

You're gaining because you convinced your body that you were living through a medieval-style famine and every hormone and neurotransmitter in your body are now working in unison to keep you from dying.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    The calculators for maintenance assume you haven't wrecked your metabolism through long-term restriction.

You're gaining because you convinced your body that you were living through a medieval-style famine and every hormone and neurotransmitter in your body are now working in unison to keep you from dying.

No. That is not how it works.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Are you still 107lbs?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »

This is just dead wrong
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Wait just to clarify - you are eating 1000-1200 calories a day and then exercising and burning 600 calories, (so 400-600 net calories) or are your net calories (after exercise) 1000-1200 a day?