Why am I gaining on a calorie deficit?

Options
2»

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    yeah sounds like there is a chance of metabolic damage. how long have you been eating 1000-1200 cals and how much have you gained.

more importantly though, have you thought about seeking professional help for your eating disorder?

^^this

And please, don't take the suggestion of seeking help as a judgment. It isn't meant to be at all. Making sure you're in the right place mentally is a very serious thing.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    DisruptedMatrix Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, but with a basic understanding of anatomy I can say that YES your body will adjust. Don't worry. Give it time.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    Options
    I'm not sure if that high of a deficit is good for you, though. It's worth looking into. Maybe a nutritionist can help. Honestly, if I were you, I'd spend some time on google looking into this (if you haven't already) because I bet you can find some science backed information to help ease your mind.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I don't usually jump on the metabolic damage train but I'd say you probably have some of that going on. Reverse diet
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others who say to talk to a professional...I'm really happy for you that you've improved so much but I'm afraid that this kind of a disorder often acts like a yoyo and you might be headed downwards again. Best of luck.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    savithny wrote: »
    The calculators for maintenance assume you haven't wrecked your metabolism through long-term restriction.

You're gaining because you convinced your body that you were living through a medieval-style famine and every hormone and neurotransmitter in your body are now working in unison to keep you from dying.

This is just dead wrong

She's messed up her metabolism to the point that the calculators are wrong about her maintenance. Whatever she's eating, its above maintenance for *her* currently, and it may take awhile for her metabolism to recover.
  • DisruptedMatrix
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So after telling you I wasn't sure a 1000 cal deficit was safe or not... i realized i've had that deficit today and two days ago. So nvm
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    So after telling you I wasn't sure a 1000 cal deficit was safe or not... i realized i've had that deficit today and two days ago. So nvm

A 1000 calorie deficit can be ok. But not for someone who maintains at under 2000 cals or is obese.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Several people saying metabolic damage is wrong. Usually I agree with those statements, but the OP describes real long term starvation from probable anorexia. In that case I believe the evidence does support significant metabolic slowdown. This is not your usual "I ate under 1200cal for a week, did I break my metabolism??".

OP, especially as you are already underweight and yet still attempting to lose weight, you *really* need to seek medical help - not just to find out how to heal from starvation and get your metabolism back to normal, but even more crucially to get into recovery from your disorder.

If you are thinking "I don't need help", can you stop your weight loss attempts and set about gaining weight until you reach a healthy BMI? If not, you need to get help now.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread, what did the OP think of the responses and discussions?
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    wrote: »
    Interesting thread, what did the OP think of the responses and discussions?

Don't ya hate when they disappear after questions

Good luck
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Lol, wasn't sure,....

107 lbs sounds very light...I think I was sensing concern in the responses. ...was curious what OP decided to do...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The calculators for maintenance assume you haven't wrecked your metabolism through long-term restriction.

You're gaining because you convinced your body that you were living through a medieval-style famine and every hormone and neurotransmitter in your body are now working in unison to keep you from dying.

This is just dead wrong

She's messed up her metabolism to the point that the calculators are wrong about her maintenance. Whatever she's eating, its above maintenance for *her* currently, and it may take awhile for her metabolism to recover.

I doubt she is in starvation mode when she says she has increased her calories to where she is averaging 1200 a day ...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, are you still around?

Are you still 107?

If you switched from Dukan to more carbs, it's probably not eating 1200 that's causing a perceived gain, but just water weight associated with eating more carbs again -- low carb means you drop some water, but that's not meaningful. If it's this, you might not be losing on 1200 and your metabolism might not be messed up.

However, as others have suggested, if you are trying to lose still at 107 and with the history, probably a good thing to see a doctor and ask to at least talk to a dietitian to make sure you aren't having disordered thoughts about eating and are comfortable with a recommended plan to ideally gain some in a healthy way.