NSV at the gym

Options
I'm still a bit in shock from this...

I go to a shadowboxing class at my gym every Tuesday night. I'm the only overweight person in the class, and I always stand in the back so that I don't have to worry about people looking at how out of shape I am, how unable I am to do some of the movements, etc.

I've been taking the class (and working with a trainer) since January, during which time I've lost 45 lbs, but I'm still very much overweight. There's a super-fit (like something in a fitness magazine) guy in the class, and tonight he looked at me out of the blue as we were waiting for class to begin and said "You look better and better every single week. You are really doing great!"

I'm definitely going to bed with a smile on my face tonight.

Am posting this mainly because I thought it might provide a little motivation to others who still appear fat and still feel like they don't really belong in the gym. And, OK, because I wanted to brag a little. I admit it. :smokin:

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This brought a tear to my eye, really that must have felt great!!! So many times we think that those "in shape/fit people" are judging us when in reality they are often quite impressed that we are busting our butts to get healthier!!! Keep at it :)
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Whoop! High five followed by the happy dance! :happy:
  • sc3ptical
    sc3ptical Posts: 4
    Options
    Aw that must have felt amazing! Good job sticking to it, even though you didnt 'fit in' with the rest of the group.
  • Walkbyfaith1971
    Walkbyfaith1971 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Congrats and keep it up!

Sometimes it's easier for others to see the progress we have made (than us looking in the mirror) and it's such an encouragement (and motivator) when they share their observations!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm the only overweight person in the class, and I always stand in the back so that I don't have to worry about people looking at how out of shape I am, how unable I am to do some of the movements, etc."
    Here's a not-secret: you are not the only overweight person in the class. Matter-of-fact to everyone who thinks they are the *only* overweight person in the class -- you are not. You may be the only 'currently' overweight person in the class -- but plenty of your classmates started at the beginning, just like you did, and they've walked in your shoes (heck, my yoga teacher started doing yoga because he was 75lbs heavier than he is today). I wish there was a badge or ring or special handshake. Everyone starts at the beginning, and everyone at the gym is the same: they are there to work out and be fit.
  • Otter1422
    Otter1422 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    That is awesome, pretty awesome what a little positive recognition for your efforts can do for a person. I guess that is why everyone comes on here. :happy:
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love it. Made me think of something I saw recently. It can be taken somewhat condescendingly, but I prefer to look at it as a positive motivational thing. Not that I think of you as a "fatty" ar from it. I find your workouts and food diary inspirational.

To the fatty running on the Westview track this afternoon: http://i.imgur.com/6jEWN.png
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What a great feeling! Congrats on your loss!
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful...good for you:flowerforyou:
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    this is a great story..but there is a reason you don't see this often (the comment)

Because as a dude you don't want to appear condescending... you took the compliment as intended but some people would get offended so its easier to say nothing.

Probably a lot of people notice.

I sometimes want to give a "great job" to larger persons I see running as I have been there..but I dont want to seem like a *kitten* so I say nothing.
  • Gsdmom2
    Gsdmom2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What. great compliment. congratulations on your accomplishment. Making progress on this road to health and fitness is really a journey, not a spring. keep up the good work!
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Keep it up :smile:
    Shadowboxing is so much fun.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! That is a great NSV.
  • Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When others see what we feel, it's makes the hard work eve more worth it.
  • ygglove
    ygglove Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's an amazing compliment.
  • athyraslove
    athyraslove Posts: 145
    Options
    That's awesome! What a great day for you! :) It feels so good when someone we admire or look up to gives us a compliment that's so deserved! :drinker:
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You go ahead and brag, BRAG, BRAG, BRAG, I would. Good for you.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Awesome for you!! And awesome for this person who took the time to say something, to make your day!! He deserves some props as well.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    that is a great NSV! :flowerforyou: :smokin: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!