Cycling+Walking but Not loosing weight

Options
Hi
I am a 46 year old women.Who is 1.53m tall.I do cycling for about 40-60 minutes 3 times a week.Sometimes 4 times a week.And everyday I try to walk 7200 steps.I only eat 1077 cal per day.That is my recommended value on the calculators.But I do not loose any weight.I just stay on the same weight.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? How long have you been exercising?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    nelja wrote: »
    Hi
    I am a 46 year old women.Who is 1.53m tall.I do cycling for about 40-60 minutes 3 times a week.Sometimes 4 times a week.And everyday I try to walk 7200 steps.I only eat 1077 cal per day.That is my recommended value on the calculators.But I do not loose any weight.I just stay on the same weight.
    Thanks

You don't tell us how hard you ride for those 40-60 minutes. HR Zone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?

That's not much riding in terms of a cyclist's training plan, or if one is trying to use cycling as cardio to burn calories to help with the CICO equation. 6-8 hours on the bike per week would be a more "average" week to fire up the metabolism and the calorie burn to help with the lean and mean look. 8-12 hours per week on the bike really is where the "sweet spot" is in terms of being able to eat more calories as well as still be at a deficit to lose weight while cycling. But if you are riding shorter sessions only 3 to 4 times a week, if you boost the intensity you can get excellent benefits.

How hard do you ride on your 3-4 days per week?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    my suggestions are to get a HRM, weigh everything that goes in your gob, up your calories, (if you are eating 1000 calories and not eating back any of your exercise calories, you are eating too little). My guess is inaccuracy without knowing your weight, how much you want to lose, and how long youve been at this.
  • nupururja
    nupururja Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks

My situation is exactly the same as yours :( I will be trying the "egg fast" recommended by one of the myfitnesspal members to break the weight loss plateau and speed up weight loss
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This isn't the right forum for a weight loss question -- you will get more advice if you post in General Weight Loss. This is for debates about weight loss and nutrition topics.

That said, you should be losing on 1077 calories (in fact, even though you are short, that's lower than you likely need). How are you tracking calories? How much do you weigh and what are your goals?

I'd say work on making sure the logging is right on point (some logging errors are easy to spot if you want someone to look over the diary) and also make sure that you are logging everything and every day. If you still aren't losing and are convinced it is accurate, take the logs in and see your doctor.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Your food diary isn't complete.
    Unless you only eat minced beef for lunch washed down with Coke!
    There's many blank days too. You also log 1g of minced beef for breakfast?

Without data you are guessing.

Suggestion would be to accurately and completely log everything you eat and drink for a month and take it from there.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    a) You're in the wrong forum.

b) Trying to lose weight with exercise is a terrible strategy. Want to lose weight? Eat fewer calories.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,126 Member
    Options
    1) Set an appropriate calorie goal, you current level is far too low.
    2) Log properly
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Want to lose weight? Eat fewer calories.

Eating fewer calories than you burn is how fat loss happens, for sure.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you aren't logging accurately and are eating more than 1077 calories per day.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How do you measure those 1077 calories? Do you use a digital food scale for everthing?
    nupururja wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

My situation is exactly the same as yours :( I will be trying the "egg fast" recommended by one of the myfitnesspal members to break the weight loss plateau and speed up weight loss

Seriously? After so many people replied to your thread, this is what you took from it?

Nelja, ignore the above poster, please. They are not being reasonable.

The only thing you need to do is measure your food carefully using a digital scale and double check your entries in the diary. The only thing. I promise.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks

Are we sure it's a good idea to exercise ourselves into a calorie deficit?

My doctor told me you get fit in the gym and loose weight at the dinner table. .

Good luck
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with the responders who recommended weighing your food. For example, the bananas I purchase from my local grocery store average about 140 grams per banana (without the peel) and not the 100 grams you are showing every day for bananas. So the thing which may help you the most would be concentrating on the diet and weighing food on a digital scale to make progress.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    First....less than 1200 calories a day puts the body in starvation mode....which is no good.
    https://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

Second, you are probably not accurately counting calories, either eating or burning.
    http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Guesstimating-Calories-Burned-Doesnt-Work.cfm
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    jondspen wrote: »
    First....less than 1200 calories a day puts the body in starvation mode....which is no good.
    https://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/

Second, you are probably not accurately counting calories, either eating or burning.
    http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Guesstimating-Calories-Burned-Doesnt-Work.cfm

Starvation mode isn't a thing. If they were eating less than they burn they would be losing weight. Full stop.

The second part is nail on head.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

My doctor told me you get fit in the gym and loose weight at the dinner table. .

Good luck

That's a bit like saying air conditioning doesn't make the room cooler, it just takes the heat out. It amounts to the same thing. You lose weight by eating less than you burn - whether you do that by eating less or moving more makes no difference. The deficit is what matters.

Having said that, the doctor is absolutely right that you need to tackle the diet first because it is WAY easier to eat 500cal less than exercise 500cal more. That's why we say "you can't outrun a bad diet". Because if your eating is out of control, you're not practically going to be able to burn that off - especially as exercise will tend to increase your appetite and so, without tracking and a conscious effort to keep a deficit going, the effect will be completely cancelled out. However, if you are watching what you eat, then getting more active will absolutely help, by increasing the amount you can eat while still maintaining a deficit, and that makes your eating goals much more sustainable.

If you're a big man it can be hard to appreciate how important this is, because you burn a lot just sitting there, but for small women, especially older small women, increasing activity can mean the difference between a soul-destroying 1200cal or a perfectly manageable 1500. It's a big deal in terms of long term success.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

Good luck

In addition to maintaining a deficit in the CICO equation in the kitchen....

....yes, in terms of riding a bike you can absolutely use it to help "ride yourself into a calorie deficit". The larger question usually revolves around the person committing to the time commitment of getting enough hours in on the bike per week.