does cleansing the gut help lose weight faster?

Options

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Something else too about cleanses that hasn't been covered yet is the problems you may well cause yourself long term by 'upsetting' the natural balance in the flora of your gut.

It has been my understanding and reading that we all have intestinal flora that is pretty unique. Hopefully it does it job but if that balance gets out of whack as mentioned by others through illness or deliberate means ie: Laxative abuse you can set yourself up for a World full of issues trying to get your flora back in balance. Also look up Leaky Gut Syndrome....not nice. Sorry, I don't have papers of research that I can quote, I apologize for that.

This is a dangerous practice and often finds users needing to 'repeat' cycle through cleanses...this is where the person probably feeling unwell, bowels and guts in a mess even bloating and gas become regular problems to get their gut working again in a satisfactory way.

OP - before you do this please read up about the micro-biome in your gut, look at proper research and how important this is to your health before attempting such unneccessary drastic steps.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The bloodletting thing has some potential, I believe a pint of blood takes around 600 calories to replace. That's quite a workout. Certainly more effective than "detoxing".
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Body cleansing isn't a "fad", the Chinese have practiced it for thousands of years.

It's used in eastern medicine often. It isn't a weight loss thing. It's more about detoxing the body. You may see a more steady weight loss if you regularly detox though.

It's not just apple cider crap either. Detox could simply mean eating clean and drinking more water than usual.

What toxins would one be getting rid of with these ancient Chinese cleanses?

Ancient Chinese secret.

Beat me to it...

waynes_world_2_23_calgon.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    The bloodletting thing has some potential, I believe a pint of blood takes around 600 calories to replace. That's quite a workout. Certainly more effective than "detoxing".

Next celebrity fad that trickles down incoming...................
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Body cleansing isn't a "fad", the Chinese have practiced it for thousands of years.

It's used in eastern medicine often. It isn't a weight loss thing. It's more about detoxing the body. You may see a more steady weight loss if you regularly detox though.

It's not just apple cider crap either. Detox could simply mean eating clean and drinking more water than usual.

Please name one specific "toxin" that is removed from the body (not just 'OMG, teh toxinzzzz!'), and the mechanism by which a "detox" is able to remove it. I mean other than by the liver and kidneys, which is the body's innate mechanism for removing "toxins".

Detoxes are a load of crap. There's no scientific basis for them, they're a marketing ploy by greedy, crooked supplement manufacturers. Here's the actual science behind "detoxes" and "cleanses":

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

But that 600 calories is spread over 3+ weeks so not much per day.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

What are you detoxing from, though?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Probably this:

https://youtu.be/zrv78nG9R04
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options

Probably this:

Always wondered why the food tasted so darn good in Asia. Now I know.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    spuvgnyoah1e.gif

@Christine_72 given your hatred for gifs, I have to ask... Are you okay?

Probably this:

Great, now you have me trying to retrace my steps in Hong Kong. I agree with Sloth, the food was *babysloth* awesome!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    spuvgnyoah1e.gif

@Christine_72 given your hatred for gifs, I have to ask... Are you okay?

Probably this:

Great, now you have me trying to retrace my steps in Hong Kong. I agree with Sloth, the food was *babysloth* awesome!

I'm drunk!

Nah, the gif thing bugs me when they're used as a put down or when a potentially interesting thread gets overrun with them, and i get notification after notification of stupid memes/gifs :wink: This is what was happening when i spit the dummy and went on my gif rant :blush:

I'm easily annoyed though :open_mouth:

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Bleeding was practiced for thousands of years, too. Also trepanning. Age is no evidence of effectiveness.

"Detox" is not a valid medical concept. It is a spiritual idea to do with ritual purity, sin and sacrifice. In medical terms, your body has a complex and very effective system to remove toxins. If it didn't, you would die, because toxins are not some vague bad thing that give you headaches and make you bloated. They are poisons and they will make you dead.

Thankfully they are filtered out of the blood by the kidneys and leave the body in your urine. The kidneys are extremely good at this and will filter and eject foreign substances, including medical drugs, so well that one of the main challenges in designing drugs is actually keeping them in the body long enough to work.

If this system stops working, and toxins start to build up, you will be hospitalised and treated with the only effective medical detox - kidney dialysis.

If you find "detoxing" a rewarding spiritual practice, you go ahead. But be aware that what you're doing is a religious ritual, not a medical procedure, it is not removing actual toxins, and it will not make you thin.

I like your style of posting @CattOfTheGarage
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

But that 600 calories is spread over 3+ weeks so not much per day.

Those darn spoilsport nurses in the blood donation vans, sabotaging our weight loss.

Book a holiday in Transilvania, that'll give you a weight loss boost (have been, can recommend, though no personal experiences with vampirism).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I went on a gut cleanse and lost a lot of weight really quickly. Let me check to see what the program I was on was called....ah here it is, it was called norovirus.

Oh I know another good one - colonoscopy prep.

Now that really cleans you out :o

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I went on a gut cleanse and lost a lot of weight really quickly. Let me check to see what the program I was on was called....ah here it is, it was called norovirus.

Oh I know another good one - colonoscopy prep.

Now that really cleans you out :o

**shudder**

Though I have actually seen what pretty much amounted to colonoscopy prep as a weight-loss recommendation for one of those OMG I'M GETTING MARRIED AT THE WEEKEND AND I NEED TO DROP 20LBS!!!!! threads. What's wrong with Spanx for heaven's sake?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Probably this:

I'm not often speechless...
  • pazzynj
    pazzynj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm using ground flaxseed & probiotic with vitamin D. It's helping energy wise but it's not a gut cleanser. I think exercise & lots of water cleans the gut the best.
  • Leezaa
    Leezaa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would choose to eat fruits and veggies (raw). I'm on my 7th day, feel dizzy on my first day, but okay for now.. i hope this will help..