Miracle Noodles- Shirataki noodles

Has anyone ever heard of these noodles? I purchased some from Amazon and will use them today to volumize my beef chow mein. They have no carbs, calories, nor sodium. They are made from some type of natural fiber called glucomannan. They are gluten free and vegan.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    They're traditional Japanese noodles...you should be able to get them in the store in the Asian section...Lol they're being marketed as "Miracle Noodles"...I hope you didn't over pay for clever marketing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have tried them before. They're perfectly okay, especially when you combine them with lots of vegetables and a flavorful sauce. Make sure you rinse them very well -- the water they are packed in can have a really nasty smell.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    I really enjoy them in stir-fries. Like the above stated rinse them well. They don't have much flavor on their own but they absorb flavors from the sauce you cook them in well.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They're traditional Japanese noodles...you should be able to get them in the store in the Asian section...Lol they're being marketed as "Miracle Noodles"...I hope you didn't over pay for clever marketing.

Yeah, that's just the brand name.
  • leejoyce31
    I have tried them before. They're perfectly okay, especially when you combine them with lots of vegetables and a flavorful sauce. Make sure you rinse them very well -- the water they are packed in can have a really nasty smell.

Yes, I read that already. It's some type of alkaline that keeps them fresh without the preservatives. I will rinse well and add a little vinegar to get rid of the scent.
  • cwolfman13
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

I've never heard this before...I've been using Shirataki noodles since forever when I cook Asian dishes...I hope they're not ripping people off and overcharging for clever marketing...
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    i rinse them well and dry fry them before adding to stir fry. stick with asian dishes to put them in. they dont work well as an italian replacement.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member

I've never heard this before...I've been using Shirataki noodles since forever when I cook Asian dishes...I hope they're not ripping people off and overcharging for clever marketing...

Oh, they are! I can still buy my shirataki noodles around $1 per package at my Asian supermarket, though.
  • leejoyce31

It's fine. I can afford it. Trust me. Don't worry about it. :)
  • leejoyce31
    ktekc wrote: »
    i rinse them well and dry fry them before adding to stir fry. stick with asian dishes to put them in. they dont work well as an italian replacement.

Yes, I heard that.
  • leejoyce31

Oh, they are! I can still buy my shirataki noodles around $1 per package at my Asian supermarket, though.

I also saw some at Whole Foods yesterday. They were a couple of dollars. It seems like they have lots of brands (House Foods, Miracle Noodles, Skinny Noodle). What brand do you use?
  • Gotrek1
    Gotrek1 Posts: 64 Member
    Ha I found this funny while reading up about them...
    The water is recommended too, because soluble fiber sucks up water in your body. In 2010, Health Canada issued an advisory about the importance of drinking a full glass of water when taking pills or powders containing glucomannan. It also urged consumers not to use glucomannan supplements right before bed, because the stuff can swell up and cause choking or blockages in the intestine while you sleep. The health advisory didn't address shirataki noodles.
  • Queenmunchy
    edited October 2016
    @leejoyce31 I usually buy these. My Asian supermarket also sells blocks of konjac if you wanted to extract and make your own "noodles" - I don't :)

shirataki-pkg.jpg
  • cwolfman13

Not really worried about you...I just find marketing kind of fascinating...kind of like when a food suddenly becomes a "super food" or something...it's been there all along, but suddenly someone comes up with some clever marketing and starts ripping people off.

I can hit up my Asian market and just get shirataki noodles (no idea what brand because the writing is in Japanese)...I'm pretty sure my grocery store has House Foods brand.
  • leejoyce31

Not really worried about you...I just find marketing kind of fascinating...kind of like when a food suddenly becomes a "super food" or something...it's been there all along, but suddenly someone comes up with some clever marketing and starts ripping people off.

I can hit up my Asian market and just get shirataki noodles (no idea what brand because the writing is in Japanese)...I'm pretty sure my grocery store has House Foods brand.

Good for you.
  • leejoyce31
    @leejoyce31 I usually buy these. My Asian supermarket also sells blocks of konjac if you wanted to extract and make your own "noodles" - I don't :)

shirataki-pkg.jpg

Thanks! And for the record... I can barely cook so for sure, I won't be making my own noodles. LOL. How often do you cook eat them?

Also, how do you store them if you don't cook the whole bag. Your bag seems big.
  • tafregnolon
    tafregnolon Posts: 16 Member
    Tried them years ago. I couldn't stomach them. Perhaps you find a good use for them.
  • Queenmunchy
    edited October 2016
    15-20 years ago I used to eat them probably 2-3 times/week. Now I eat them once every few months. I rinse, dry fry (this is the key so they don't have the texture of rubber bands), and then use them in Asian recipes. Stir fry, noodle bowls, etc are great. I tend to use half of the noodles and then match with the same amount of vegetables in my dish.
  • leejoyce31
    15-20 years ago I used to eat them probably 2-3 times/week. Now I eat them once every few months. I rinse, dry fry (this is the key so they don't have the texture of rubber bands), and then use them in Asian recipes. Stir fry, noodle bowls, etc are great. I tend to use half of the noodles and then match with the same amount of vegetables in my dish.

So do you cook the whole bag at once though? I'm trying to figure out how to store the unused cooked bag.