• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    They're traditional Japanese noodles...you should be able to get them in the store in the Asian section...Lol they're being marketed as "Miracle Noodles"...I hope you didn't over pay for clever marketing.

Yeah, that's just the brand name.

I've never heard this before...I've been using Shirataki noodles since forever when I cook Asian dishes...I hope they're not ripping people off and overcharging for clever marketing...
    It's fine. I can afford it. Trust me. Don't worry about it. :)

Not really worried about you...I just find marketing kind of fascinating...kind of like when a food suddenly becomes a "super food" or something...it's been there all along, but suddenly someone comes up with some clever marketing and starts ripping people off.

I can hit up my Asian market and just get shirataki noodles (no idea what brand because the writing is in Japanese)...I'm pretty sure my grocery store has House Foods brand.

Good for you.

You must be fun at parties...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    @leejoyce31 I don't cook the whole bag unless I'm planning on eating leftovers. Usually I cook half - rinse, cut with kitchen scissors, and put half into a storage bag for another day.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I buy them here in Canada at Food For Less. They run about $.89 per package and are 10 calories. If I'm hungry I eat two packages. Here's what I've learned about them. They are kind of tasteless but wonderful with a creamy sauce (I use low fat cream cheese to make it). You absolutely must dry them out a bit or your sauce will become soup. I rinse them really well THIS IS VITAL then I toss them in a no stick pan to dry them out just a bit. They are very high in fibre and virtually calorie free at 10 cal per pkg (about 1/2 cup). There are also brands with tofu or soy added which are higher in calories. Enjoy.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    They're traditional Japanese noodles...you should be able to get them in the store in the Asian section...Lol they're being marketed as "Miracle Noodles"...I hope you didn't over pay for clever marketing.

I've never heard this before...I've been using Shirataki noodles since forever when I cook Asian dishes...I hope they're not ripping people off and overcharging for clever marketing...

Not really worried about you...I just find marketing kind of fascinating...kind of like when a food suddenly becomes a "super food" or something...it's been there all along, but suddenly someone comes up with some clever marketing and starts ripping people off.

I can hit up my Asian market and just get shirataki noodles (no idea what brand because the writing is in Japanese)...I'm pretty sure my grocery store has House Foods brand.

Good for you.

Cwolfman, I will not get into a back and forth with you. I just asked a simple question about noodles. As far as I am concerned, I will not reply to any more of your comments. That is not what this forum is for. Have a blessed day in the Lord!
  • leejoyce31
    I buy them here in Canada at Food For Less. They run about $.89 per package and are 10 calories. If I'm hungry I eat two packages. Here's what I've learned about them. They are kind of tasteless but wonderful with a creamy sauce (I use low fat cream cheese to make it). You absolutely must dry them out a bit or your sauce will become soup. I rinse them really well THIS IS VITAL then I toss them in a no stick pan to dry them out just a bit. They are very high in fibre and virtually calorie free at 10 cal per pkg (about 1/2 cup). There are also brands with tofu or soy added which are higher in calories. Enjoy.

Thank much! I look forward to trying them. I have already looked up the instructions on how to prepare and they line up with you are saying.
  • cwolfman13

Good for you.

Cwolfman, I will not get into a back and forth with you. I just asked a simple question about noodles. As far as I am concerned, I will not reply to any more of your comments. That is not what this forum is for. Have a blessed day in the Lord!

Lol...alrighty then....not really sure what your problem is, I gave you my take on the noodles...they are delicious and I use them all the time...I just find the marketing aspect interesting is all...I think you're reading into things a bit much or something
  • leejoyce31
    @leejoyce31 I don't cook the whole bag unless I'm planning on eating leftovers. Usually I cook half - rinse, cut with kitchen scissors, and put half into a storage bag for another day.

Thanks, I will store any unused portion in an airtight container for a couple of days. I also have the rice and fettucine. I plan to use the rice in soup. Thanks for your response. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I tried them a few times

Worried about choking, really weird texture ... I wouldn't again
  • leejoyce31
    edited October 2016
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I tried them a few times

Yikes, I'll make sure to cut them into smaller pieces. From what I read, dry frying helps the texture. Thanks for the response.
  • cheryldumais
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I tried them a few times

Yes they are a bit tough. You need to chew them really well. Kind of like a rubber band texture, lol. I love them now but I'm weird like that.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Are these also called Ramen noodles?
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I used them for a Sukiyaki recipe a few times. Not the best noodles I've had but I enjoy trying new things. They made my pee smell fishy though.
  • cheryldumais

No, totally different item. Ramen noodles have loads of carbs and calories.

• Christine_72

No, totally different item. Ramen noodles have loads of carbs and calories.

Aaah i thought something was off, the ones i just looked at are definitely not low cal and high fibre! I may have to find an Asian grocery store.
  • cwolfman13

No, Shirataki noodles are made from konjac yam...I would recommend rinsing and par boiling...the odor is weird if you're not accustomed and so is the texture...par boiling will help with both.

Shirataki noodles are very low in digestible carbohydrates.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    I used them for a Sukiyaki recipe a few times. Not the best noodles I've had but I enjoy trying new things. They made my pee smell fishy though.

that's a relief. i thought i was dying for a few days there.

i just started using them and they're ok, they'll curb a pasta craving in a pinch if you're craving a specific dish but don't want the calories for the traditional. i used them in a mac and cheese recipe. but they don't compare to fresh pasta for taste. they're more of a sauce / veggie delivery device.
  • leejoyce31
    I'm cooking some today. Looking forward to trying them.
  • Christine_72
    Lee can you report back after you've tried them? I found some in my local grocery store, but they're called "Changs
    Wok Ready Lo-Cal Noodles", for any Aussies reading this.
  • amandaward1511
    amandaward1511 Posts: 7 Member
    I eat them a lot. Rinse them with cold water thoroughly before cooking. I usually stir fry veggies and meat and right towards the end I add the noodles!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 654 Member
    I've tried so many brands, and many have the problems of being rubbery, translucent, weird texture. And I guess the shirataki noodles everyone on this thread are eating are probably like that. I found a brand that isn't like that at all. It has a fantastic texture, and is actually the color of pasta. I give mine a quick rinse and I stick it in the microwave to evaporate any liquid left. It also tastes awesome as pasta for italian food. I'm so glad I found this brand.
    I get it on Amazon, and the brand is called Better Than. So they have Better Than Pasta, and Better Than Noodles. The noodles are like angel hair, and the pasta is thicker like spaghetti. I eat them about 5 days a week. They don't have much flavor, so salt is needed, and they take the taste of whatever you put on it. But they are really, really good.