Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Does calories in vs calories out really matter?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Calories is the only thing that matters for weight loss. Eat the foods that agree with you, but pay attention to calories. Period.

I'm not saying that CICO doesn't matter. Just getting that out of the way. However, I don't pay any attention to calories. I don't count them. I don't weigh my food. I just changed the types of food that I eat. But I've gone from 200 to 150 lbs with a really big increase in strength (which has nothing to do with the eating really, just highlights that the loss in weight actually underestmates the total loss in fat). 150lbs maintained for about 4 years.

Because of my experience I treat CICO as an end rather than a means. ie, my appetite control and satiation has increased drastically, and my energy expenditure at "rest" must have really gone up, because I do eat a lot and my workouts have gone from 5 hours a week at 200 lbs to half an hour a week at 150 lbs (and during the main weight loss period my exercise was actually zero). CI and CO must have rearranged themselves to allow for a deficit based on what I was doing.

BUT, I'm not saying CICO doesn't matter. Just that I don't pay attention to it to achieve weight loss, but obviously my body must have.

I suspect you are conflating volume of food and calories. I can eat high volume low calories or low volume high calories. Either way, your body doesn't respond based on the number of calories, but rather the volume of foods and the maconutrients involved.

I wish I could say the same. I once ate 9 lbs. of salad and only stopped because I ran out of salad and not because I felt full. If I had a nickel for every time someone suggested that a high volume low calorie foods in order to feel satisfied...

I have the same things with many veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots) I can eat huge amounts, feel full for a very short time, then quite easily do it again. While I enjoy them, I don't find them horribly satisfying and what satisfaction they do bring to hunger disappears quickly. That is why I encourage people who ask for what to eat when they start out to instead log everything and pay attention to what keeps them feeling full then incorporate more of that.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Calories is the only thing that matters for weight loss. Eat the foods that agree with you, but pay attention to calories. Period.

I'm not saying that CICO doesn't matter. Just getting that out of the way. However, I don't pay any attention to calories. I don't count them. I don't weigh my food. I just changed the types of food that I eat. But I've gone from 200 to 150 lbs with a really big increase in strength (which has nothing to do with the eating really, just highlights that the loss in weight actually underestmates the total loss in fat). 150lbs maintained for about 4 years.

Because of my experience I treat CICO as an end rather than a means. ie, my appetite control and satiation has increased drastically, and my energy expenditure at "rest" must have really gone up, because I do eat a lot and my workouts have gone from 5 hours a week at 200 lbs to half an hour a week at 150 lbs (and during the main weight loss period my exercise was actually zero). CI and CO must have rearranged themselves to allow for a deficit based on what I was doing.

BUT, I'm not saying CICO doesn't matter. Just that I don't pay attention to it to achieve weight loss, but obviously my body must have.

I suspect you are conflating volume of food and calories. I can eat high volume low calories or low volume high calories. Either way, your body doesn't respond based on the number of calories, but rather the volume of foods and the maconutrients involved.

I wish I could say the same. I once ate 9 lbs. of salad and only stopped because I ran out of salad and not because I felt full. If I had a nickel for every time someone suggested that a high volume low calorie foods in order to feel satisfied...

There are a lot of other low calorie volume foods than just salad (egg whites, chicken/turkey). And generally combining them often increase satiety.

I've combined those with salad as well. Some of us just have a really big appetite.

Fully aware of that. I am a huge eater. It's why I eat 3 large meals instead of snacking. Snacking makes me hungry.

Interestingly I am a huge eater once I start but when doing IF, I have no trouble lasting 20+ hours.

IF and I did not get along. I tried 16:8 and I could never get pasted 14 hours and I saw no benefit. Everyone kept saying that after a few weeks hormones will adjust, but nope... never did.

I am not much of a 16:8 fan either, although it worked ok for me. I far prefer the Eat Stop Eat approach of one or two 24 hour fasts used to establish my calorie deficit. I don't do it at the moment because I have too many things causing conflicts with the fast days. When that started to happen I went to 3 meals a day and just logging food again. If things in life change again to allow fasting days without those conflicts, I would happily go back to it.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Hope you didn't stray too far from the toilet.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

There are a lot of other low calorie volume foods than just salad (egg whites, chicken/turkey). And generally combining them often increase satiety.

I've combined those with salad as well. Some of us just have a really big appetite.

Fully aware of that. I am a huge eater. It's why I eat 3 large meals instead of snacking. Snacking makes me hungry.

This is how I am too. I can eat a stupid amount if I snack, but will be perfectly satisfied with 3 regular meals when in the habit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I have the same things with many veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, peas, carrots) I can eat huge amounts, feel full for a very short time, then quite easily do it again. While I enjoy them, I don't find them horribly satisfying and what satisfaction they do bring to hunger disappears quickly. That is why I encourage people who ask for what to eat when they start out to instead log everything and pay attention to what keeps them feeling full then incorporate more of that.

I find vegetables quite satisfying personally, but I think this is a great approach and try to give similar advice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This is how I am too. I can eat a stupid amount if I snack, but will be perfectly satisfied with 3 regular meals when in the habit.

All I am saying, don't put me near some cheese or that ish is going to be torn the hell up. I can literally eat blocks of it. I miss the days where I could eat half a block in a sitting and not worry about weight gain.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I find vegetables quite satisfying personally, but I think this is a great approach and try to give similar advice.

I wish I did. It would make some days where I am having the munchies much easier to deal with by simply filling up with veggies.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Hope you didn't stray too far from the toilet.

You might think, but I didn't notice anything terribly unusual in that regards.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bercyn1291 wrote: »
    It is agreed upon that quality of the food matters in faster weight loss but ideally calories out-calories in should determine how much weight you lose. Please share your experience.

no, it is not agreed, but nice way to try and set up a straw man about "everyone agrees" with this ludicrous statement.

calorie deficit for weight loss; micro/macro aderehcne for body comp and overall nutrition.

200 calories of oreos = 200 calories of carrots from an energy standpoint; however, they do not contain the same nutritional profile.

Um. it is actually "agreed upon" that calories in calories out matters but the quality of food part is the debate. Maybe swap the main question of this debate because a better question is do you think the quality of food matters because it is agreed upon that calories do...

for weight loss quality of calories does not matter...

they do matter for overall health and body composition.

not sure why that is so hard to understand...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Absolutely it matters. Amount of all the things to lose or control body fat. What is for performance. There are no short cuts. I've lost 85 pounds at by age 50, kept it off for 6 years. Proving all the myths wrong by being living proof.
  • Indygirl_81
    Indygirl_81 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree, it also depends on the food. Each person's body is different and how it reacts to food is different. EX: I have to eat less carbohydrates to lose than a normal person based on medical issues.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    all I know is over 20 years I tried various diets. Discovering and following CICO is the ONE that is consistently causing me to lose weight. I am down 40 pounds and still counting. So I am a lifelong believer in this protocol. I will never be fat again knowing this works!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree, it also depends on the food. Each person's body is different and how it reacts to food is different. EX: I have to eat less carbohydrates to lose than a normal person based on medical issues.
    If you have a medical issue then yes. For general population with no health issues, CICO will usually dictate weight gain/loss/maintenance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rishabhmusafir
    rishabhmusafir Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    bercyn1291 wrote: »
    It is agreed upon that quality of the food matters in faster weight loss but ideally calories out-calories in should determine how much weight you lose. Please share your experience.

The quality of the food matters when it comes to medical situations. Weight loss generally speaking, however, is calories in vs calories out. I'm at the low end of healthy weight and was eating high carb/fiber, high fat, moderate protein vegetarian diet, over 2,000 calories a day and was dropping weight at a rapid pace (about 3-4 pounds per week). Additionally, my stomach "ballooned up" every time I ate high fiber and/or high fat even if the meal was small size/volume (i.e. peanut butter and apple, high fiber protein bar, nuts, pear, baby carrots, etc). I recently sought medical help and turns out I have gastroparesis. Fat and fiber malabsorption is very common with this. Not all nutrients (including calories) are absorbed, as I was also diagnosed with multiple nutrient deficiencies despite previously eating lots of salads, fruits, and green smoothies. Some undigested (especially high fiber) food even forms into bezoars. Now I'm on a lowfat, high (refined/low-fiber/residue) carb diet. Weight is slowly going back up and balancing back to normal, and I'm eating 1,800 calories instead of 2,000+. Just saying, calories DO matter but if something doesn't seem right, please see a doctor! I'm glad I did.
  • geneticexpectations
    Options
    I know a few people who absolutely need to count calories for weight management success, but the vast majority of people that I know in real life (as well as in the clinic) with sustained significant success all seem to have whole food based diets and don't have the need to count calories.