Just finished reading "Starting Strength" and I am...in love ❤️

Options
13»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I just hate taking my phone into the weight room.
    I think I might agree with you if I had to go to a gym. I don't know.

As it is, I am a bit more fortunate than some since I have equipment of my own.
    I saved up for quite a while and added my income tax refund to buy myself a power rack & safety squat ("SS Yoke") bar.
    I don't mind having my phone with me now since the 5/3/1 app I use has a rest timer built-in that I use anyway.

Guessing how long to rest just cannot compare to hearing an alarm go off, in my opinion.
    I frequently find myself "ready to go", but the timer still has something like 30 seconds more on it.

Not resting long enough seems to be a common reason why people miss the prescribed reps.
    5/3/1, Starting Strength and StrongLifts5x5 all agree that resting enough between sets is important.

Rip had a great and simple line regarding how long to rest, which I'll paraphrase here, as I'm not 100% sure of the exact quote: rest however long you need to rest to complete the set.

I also have a tendency to time my lifts. For (strength, not hypertrophy or power) top/near-top working sets, I'll rest 5 minutes. More if I feel like I need it. There have been times where I thought I felt good, but struggled with the set. Rested a little longer, nailed the next set(s). I don't use my phone - I use my watch. I used to just use the clock in the weight room, but the batter died a few times, so I just brought in my watch. Either works.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I don't use my phone - I use my watch. I used to just use the clock in the weight room, but the batter died a few times, so I just brought in my watch. Either works.
    Agreed. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I just hate taking my phone into the weight room.
    I think I might agree with you if I had to go to a gym. I don't know.

As it is, I am a bit more fortunate than some since I have equipment of my own.
    I saved up for quite a while and added my income tax refund to buy myself a power rack & safety squat ("SS Yoke") bar.
    I don't mind having my phone with me now since the 5/3/1 app I use has a rest timer built-in that I use anyway.

Guessing how long to rest just cannot compare to hearing an alarm go off, in my opinion.
    I frequently find myself "ready to go", but the timer still has something like 30 seconds more on it.

Not resting long enough seems to be a common reason why people miss the prescribed reps.
    5/3/1, Starting Strength and StrongLifts5x5 all agree that resting enough between sets is important.

I have my phone with me and use a timer. First 2 working sets are usually a 3 min rest break with 4 for the last set. Although I will also say on the 1+ week it's mainly 4 mins across all sets.

I'm old school and find using the pen and paper method easier than trying to use an app, but that's just me.

• Ocrgrrrl
    Ocrgrrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    grapaj wrote: »
    OP have you started? I'm thinking of switching over to 5/3/1 myself. I have until now shied away from programs with a lot of calculating %s because I workout out early a.m. and it's my dumbest part of the day :neutral: I've repeated PHUL several times and need a change up.

So nutshell is I should go to blackiron beast, pick a program (______???) and then print out my %s each week and get to it?

@grapaj Nope, I haven't switched over yet. But I really do believe it would be the best thing for being in a deficit (1000-1200 calls..I'm short). I've not fully completed the 5/3/1 book yet, but I'm really cracking up with Wendlers writing style. I really like him as he's no nonsense and gets right to the point. I tend to over think things, so his straight forward style works for me.

Like some of you, I'm so grateful for my garage gym! It is my sanctuary. I have a digital clock on the wall that I use for rest periods. I came from circuit full body training for my mud runs, so I noticed that I was getting antsy resting for so long, but I soon learned that I needed the rest and my body is recovering better for it.

• Ocrgrrrl
    Options
    Just got the Sarasoft 531 app! It looks great! Can't wait to use it next week!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just got the Sarasoft 531 app! It looks great! Can't wait to use it next week!

Go forth for the gainz!!
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Options
    Thanks buddy!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    The Wendler 5/3/1 app from SaraSoft does all of the calculating for you. It is the one I use.
    It let's you choose your bar weight and tells you what plates to use.
    Graphs of your progress, cloud backups of your data, all kinds of stuff.

Almost any "Wendler 5/3/1" phone app will do most -if not all- of the math for you and track your workouts.

Free SaraSoft Wendler 5/3/1 app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sarasoft.es.fivethreeonebasic

SaraSoft Wendler 5/3/1 "Pro" version with some extra features:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sarasoft.es.fivethreeone

Wendler himself tells you pretty much everything you need to know to get started for free in interviews and articles.

I second the SaraSoft app. Just be aware that the Joker set part of the app doesn't follow correctly. It caps at 3 sets and uses an AMRAP for the 3rd set instead of adding 5-10% until failure. Not a big deal because I am usually wiped by the 3rd set.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I use the stronglifts 5x5 app built in timer. Its awesome. I secure my iphone to the front post of my rack inside the cage in an old armband so I can see and touch the screen but don't have to worry about smashing it with weights or having it fall out of my pocket. If I had to go back to a gym and compete for rack time it would drive me nuts.
  • Ocrgrrrl
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    I use the stronglifts 5x5 app built in timer. Its awesome. I secure my iphone to the front post of my rack inside the cage in an old armband so I can see and touch the screen but don't have to worry about smashing it with weights or having it fall out of my pocket. If I had to go back to a gym and compete for rack time it would drive me nuts.

Oh that's a great idea! I'm stealing it! The 531 app has a timer as well. Can't tell you how beneficial it is to give myself plenty of rest time between sets. I used to get antsy and start into my next set because I thought I was being "lazy" or wasting time. Now I know better and I'm progressing each week because of it.