• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My grocery bill went down approx 50-80.00
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian but eat fish, eggs and dairy.
    My reasons were partly ethical but partly that I don't like the sensory sensation of biting into flesh.
    I was the only one in my immediate family that didn't eat meat and was the only one who wasn't over weight and didn't have terrible cystic acne.
    Are they connected? Don't know.
    If your concerned about the environment it's also better to not eat meat for the methane emissions that livestock farming produce.
    I definitely don't believe it makes a difference one way or another as far as weight loss.
    As far as food poisoning, I've only had it once, and if you've ever had samonela so bad that your skin turns gray and you have to get a series of shots in your butt, well I feel for you.
    Mine was from unwashed produce.

You're a pescatarian, not a vegetarian.

This^^

I'm a vegetarian 70% of the time.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    The benefits are for the animals first and foremost ,secound the benefit is for the planet

Finally for yourself. In my opinion and experience both on a spiritual level and physical level .All levels of you are positively impacted by the choice to no longer consume death. As Leonardo Da Vinci said "my body will not be a tomb for others"

I am vegan . My soft heart and I feel much lighter because of it ❤️

• irtrail
    irtrail Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian sometimes. My guts flare up and quit digesting meats. Ground beef is almost guaranteed to make life hell for a week or two.

Mostly stick to poultry or some leaner pork cuts when I do eat meats.

As for jaw size, we have evolved to argue on internet forums instead of working for our food...just saying!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian but eat fish, eggs and dairy.
    My reasons were partly ethical but partly that I don't like the sensory sensation of biting into flesh.
    I was the only one in my immediate family that didn't eat meat and was the only one who wasn't over weight and didn't have terrible cystic acne.
    Are they connected? Don't know.
    If your concerned about the environment it's also better to not eat meat for the methane emissions that livestock farming produce.
    I definitely don't believe it makes a difference one way or another as far as weight loss.
    As far as food poisoning, I've only had it once, and if you've ever had samonela so bad that your skin turns gray and you have to get a series of shots in your butt, well I feel for you.
    Mine was from unwashed produce.

You're a pescatarian, not a vegetarian.

This^^

I'm a vegetarian 70% of the time.

Dinner tonight was 66.6% vegetarian (broccoli and rice). The other 33.3% was flank steak. So I'm part vegetarian. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 42 years. Yup, since 1974.

You can eat a healthful vegetarian diet, and get all your essential nutrients (including enough protein, iron, etc.), though you may need to understand what you're eating and why just a bit more in order to do it.

Alternatively, you can eat a healthful non-vegetarian diet. Most omnivores probably don't eat enough veggies & fruit, but simply eating meat/fish doesn't prevent you from eating enough veggies/fruit.

Or, you can eat unhealthily as either a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian. You can gain or lose weight, healthily or unhealthily, doing either. I literally can't think of an indisputable health or weight loss reason to pick one vs. the other.

Being vegetarian is possibly slightly more socially inconvenient, but it's not a big deal. (For example, you have to figure out how to gracefully handle invitations to dinner at non-vegetarians' homes.)

It comes down to personal choice, which could be a question of animal welfare and your ethical views, or dislike of meat, or pure whim - doesn't matter. If you have reasons to be vegetarian, don't hesitate. If you don't have reasons, don't do it - it's slightly more hassle.