Alternatives to coffee creamer?

Options
I work overnights so I rely a lot on coffee to keep me awake. I don't like bitter coffee so I do enjoy some creamer and sugar (I use stevia for sweetener) but I'd really like to cut down on the calories I use for the creamer. Do you guys have any good ideas for a replacement?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    My personal choice would be to drink black coffee as it has no calories. But if you "need" somthing then;

Low fat milk
    Almond milk
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    This creamer seems to be a specific american thing.

People in other western countries tend to just drink coffee with plain milk (if not black)

Try skim milk - I drink mine with that and is only 20 calories a cup -that's unsweetened but if you use artificial sweetener the calories will be the same.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I drink it with milk.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    My morning coffee is 19 calories for 16 oz of coffee with 1/8 c 2% milk.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Alternative to coffee creamer is no creamer. Lol jk.

Try unsweetened almond milk, or skim milk. If you like flavor, the sugar free creamers are low calorie, just make sure you measure how much you use, because they add up if you put 1/2 creamer in your drink.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    milk, almond milk, isn't there a creamer with five percent? It has half the calories of regular creamer.

People in other western countries tend to just drink coffee with plain milk (if not black)

Try skim milk - I drink mine with that and is only 20 calories a cup -that's unsweetened but if you use artificial sweetener the calories will be the same.

Actually I noticed quite a few people in Canada tend to drink creamer more then milk in their coffee.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla casein or milk protein in water and use that. Whey seems to curdle when it hits hot liquid, so screw that noise.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I mix vanilla casein or milk protein in water and use that. Whey seems to curdle when it hits hot liquid, so screw that noise.

Whey works fine for me as long as you mix the powder thoroughly with milk or a combo of milk and water first, and then use that solution as creamer
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Step down -

Use a little less creamer than you are using now. Next week use even less. Repeat until you get used to the taste of black coffee.

You could also mix 1/2 of current creamer with 1/2 skim milk. Then after a week or so, increase the skim milk.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I like So Delicious Coconut Creamer. It's dairy-free and only 10 cals per tablespoon for the Original flavor. If you want flavored, the lowest cal options I've seen are Califia Farms Almond Milk Creamers in Hazelnut, Pecan Caramel, or Vanilla (15 cals per serving). Their Original unsweetened one is only 10 cals too.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think the So Delicious non-dairy coffee creamers are pretty good. Minimal sugar if you are trying to cut.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/coconut-milk-creamers/creamer-original
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I use a liquid, Premium Protein drink. Some weeks the flavor maybe vanilla or chocolate. One container lasts me 5 business days. 1 ounce per 1 cup of coffee.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Whey works fine for me as long as you mix the powder thoroughly with milk or a combo of milk and water first, and then use that solution as creamer

Thanks, I'll give it another try soon. I have like 30 pounds of whey in 15 different flavors, so if I can make that work, it'll give me some variety. Unfortunately, I only have casein in three flavors, and one seems like it would be terrible in coffee (strawberry).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I usually drink my coffee black but sometimes my wife makes it a bit too "muddy" and I cut it with some 1%
  • YogaBookLady37
    YogaBookLady37 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk is super creamy. It makes a great coffee creamer.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk (30 calories per cup) and stevia. I also like to add unsweetened dark cocoa powder
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Thanks, I'll give it another try soon. I have like 30 pounds of whey in 15 different flavors, so if I can make that work, it'll give me some variety. Unfortunately, I only have casein in three flavors, and one seems like it would be terrible in coffee (strawberry).

I put fruit punch flavored creatine in my coffee once. It wasn't particularly good, but it was bearable. I think it being sickeningly sweet was more of a problem than the fruity taste, but I'm not sure I would have liked it much/any better, had it not been so sweet. And some people like blueberry flavored coffee, so who knows?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MILK
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Waldon farms zero cal creamer
    Is delicious
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Falcon wrote: »
    milk, almond milk, isn't there a creamer with five percent? It has half the calories of regular creamer.

Actually I noticed quite a few people in Canada tend to drink creamer more then milk in their coffee.

Ok.

I have not been to Canada or met many Canadian people - at any rate, many people in other countries do drink coffee with just plain milk and OP could try skim milk and no sugar( or artifical sweeteners) and that would be quite low calorie.