Alternatives to coffee creamer?

Options
2»

Replies

• newengland11
    newengland11 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've decided to try it with unsweetened almond coconut milk and my stevia. Thanks for all the suggestions, I might give them a try if I don't like this one.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i usually add milk to coffee, but another option would be horlicks or ovaltine. check the calorie count, but there's at least a few nutrients in it so you'd get that back.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk is super creamy. It makes a great coffee creamer.

yep i secondd this
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Coffee mate has fat free creamer, I think it's like 15 calories per serving instead of 30 or whatever it normally is. I used to drink it but after a while it started making me feel nauseated.

Now I typically drink it black throughout the week and splurge on the 80 calories for two cups of coffee on weekend days.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Lipton gree tea with Splenda.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I always drink my coffee with semi skimmed milk, for a perfectly balanced taste (to me). I find full fat milk, cream or creamer make the coffee too oily, and skimmed milk makes it too thin.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Whole milk 3.8%.
  • gretamoore1
    gretamoore1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Coconut milk coffee creamer. OR, make a latte with just 1tsp organic coconut oil and 10-12 drops of vanilla liquid stevia. Rich and creamy! Don't worry coconut oil. It metabolizes differently than regular oils! Basically your body does not recognize it as a sat fat and does not store it as such!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    If you like coffee with coconut oil, go for it.

But I highly doubt that the body metabolises it any differently to other oils.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you like coffee with coconut oil, go for it.

But I highly doubt that the body metabolises it any differently to other oils.

It actually does. Medium chain triglycerides are handled differently than long chains. Coconut oil is about 50% MCT.

The first random study I could find, as I don't have time to dig for the specific one I wanted, (which shows the mechanism):
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/18326600/

Basically, MCTs don't go through the lymphatic system.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,095 Member
    Options
    So you agree with previous poster that " basically your body does not recognise it as a sat fat and does not store it as such"

I don't.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    So you agree with previous poster that " basically your body does not recognise it as a sat fat and does not store it as such"

I don't.

You didn't say store; you said metabolize. It is in fact, handled quite differently, and I can't find anything on storage specifically.

Now, that being said, even if the MCTs specifically are not stored, the energy surplus that they could create would cause other things to be stored instead of being used, so yeah, they would still make you fat if overconsumed, no matter what.
  • richfieldgirl
    richfieldgirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have taken a different route. I really like my coffee with half and half and think it's worth the calories/fat. So I have just 1 cup each morning and sit in the moment enjoying every sip. When it's gone, I'm on to water. This is quality over quantity in my book.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that full-fat milk is superior to skimmed. It's higher in calories, but you use less.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I did the step down method when quitting excess creamer. I now use a different, too high calorie recipe of my own that uses coconut milk, honey, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. My main purpose for switching wasn't the calories so much as needing to cut out all dairy (I am quite intolerant to it) and wanting to cut my refined sugar intake to next to nothing (yes, I plan to continue this for life as I feel terrible on excess refined sugar).

Unsweetened almond milk is super low calorie and would work.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I drink it with milk.

i drink it with milk, preferably whole, but 2% works. Skim milk doesn't have the sweetness that the milk fat adds, so it doesn't taste as good! The way I see it, 2 tablespoons of creamer is like 40 calories. 1/2 cup of whole milk is about the same!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Almond milk is tasty in coffee. I've recently discovered whey protein mixed into my coffee gives it a texture similar to adding cream.