daily calorie allowance is too high

Options
I would love to see how many calories are suggested per meal/snack, but I think my calorie intake suggestion is wayyy too high. Mine is nearly 1400/day. If I eat anything close to that I gain weight. I do better in the 700-800 range. What do you all think?

Replies

• michellechawner
    Options
    Way too low - I eat 1450 a day and am losing.

Calculate your TDEE and -15% or -20%... that should give you a good start

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    700 calories is too low, even if you are on the shorter side.

What is your height? Activity level? Are you weighing/measuring your foods?

EDIT: Just to add, I'm 5'9", sedentary, and eating at about 1600 (plus eating back exercise calories). And losing weight is actually easier for me now than when I was eating 1200-1400 calories.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800-2100 and I am losing too!:smile:
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    700 hundred is very low! Try 1400 for a couple weeks, if you need to adjust it then drop it slightly a little at a time. You really shouldn't be below 1000 on a daily basis!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Goal is 1825 and I lose pretty steadily. I had about...1000 calories yesterday. For dinner.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    In a word, no.

Unless you've actually taken a real medically based metabolic test that specifically measures you at that rate for maintenance, you are advocating a starvation diet. There are clinics for that, but MFP isn't one of them.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Wow......I would have to say that 700-800 is too low. The site bases its calculations on your height, weight, and activity level. I eat at about 1700-2000 cal a day and when I was really trying to loose weight went down as far as 1500.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Wow...you gain at 1400? You must be tiny! Or very very active. I would think 700-800 is too low. You shouldn't gain at 1400...unless you are miscalculating calories by a lot.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Unless you have some kind of medical condition (say, dwarfism), you should probably be eating at least 1200 calories per day to get enough nutrition to survive long term.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh now? What is your height?

Unless you are morbidly obese and on a doctor supervised diet...like after gastric bypass surgery, 700-800 is too low.
  • toddlikesdesign
    Options
    Phew! I believe I ate a 700 calorie breakfast the other day.

Unless you are sub-5' or have a medical condition we're not aware of, the consensus among posters is that is clearly too low.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    700-800 is starving yourself. Don't do that.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I would love to see how many calories are suggested per meal/snack, but I think my calorie intake suggestion is wayyy too high. Mine is nearly 1400/day. If I eat anything close to that I gain weight. I do better in the 700-800 range. What do you all think?

I think you're seriously undereating. That's a VLCD. Very low calorie diets aren't welcome here.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    The reason you gain at 1400 is because you've destroyed your metabolism by eating 700 calories a day.

Read this thread, follow it, and give it a chance to work. You'll need to give it at least a couple of months for your body to adjust. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

I think LOL....

You have to be seriously on the small side....old....and virtually completely inactive for you to come remotely close to gaining on 1400 calories. Most likely you substantially underestimate your intake or you are in serious need of a doctors visit because if you truly do gain at 1400 calories your metabolism is likely jacked due to some kind of medical condition or you're jacked it yourself with all kinds of yo-yo dieting.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Much too low in my opinion. My MFP calorie goal is 1240 pre-exercise (I have mine set as sedentary, but am always moving my seat at work, plus on my feet outside of here a lot). So I can comfortably eat to 1400 calories and lose weight (again, not including exercise calories).

Edit - I'm 5'2.5", 39 years old, and currently weigh 210.8 pounds.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's just not a good day without a good "starvation mode" post
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you've tried eating more, how long have you waited before panicking and dropping back down below 800 calories? Along with the possibility that you've destroyed your metabolism (and risk doing lasting damage to your heart and body), I'm going to hazard a guess that the weight gain you've seen in the past is your body retaining water and glycogen to replenish itself after a long deprivation. Sometimes it takes the body months to normalize after a diet, especially a VLCD.
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm not advocating anything. I'm asking. I sit for 10 hours a day with my job. When I eat more than like 300 calories/ meal I feel miserable. Especially if it's a dinner meal. I don't even want to clean up after dinner, just sit around and be lazier. The lower calorie days I definitely have more energy and I tend to work out since I can.
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Go to the Doctor and have your RMR tested. Then work to re-start metabolism. If you eat too few calories you're most likely not eating enough protein then you will be bald...