daily calorie allowance is too high

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'm not advocating anything. I'm asking. I sit for 10 hours a day with my job. When I eat more than like 300 calories/ meal I feel miserable. Especially if it's a dinner meal. I don't even want to clean up after dinner, just sit around and be lazier. The lower calorie days I definitely have more energy and I tend to work out since I can.
    So hey, you're aware that your body needs calories JUST TO EXIST, right?
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 and lose an average of a pound a week.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    This is the wrong place to ask for that advice. I recommend talking to your doctor. While every body is different, you should consult a medical professional on your reactions to more calories and your purported ideal range.
  • petrinasupler
    petrinasupler Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    well that's a little judgmental isn't it. Starvation mode doesn't occur until after several days of eating next to nothing. 700 calories is far from next to nothing. It's not like I'm sitting around all day with a hungry belly with the intent of eating less than a certain amount. I eat when I'm hungry. Make no mistake. Thanks for your sarcasm it's appreciated. I'm glad there's people like you out there to discourage questions from people like me.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    well that's a little judgmental isn't it. Starvation mode doesn't occur until after several days of eating next to nothing. 700 calories is far from next to nothing. It's not like I'm sitting around all day with a hungry belly with the intent of eating less than a certain amount. I eat when I'm hungry. Make no mistake. Thanks for your sarcasm it's appreciated. I'm glad there's people like you out there to discourage questions from people like me.

iirc your brain alone needs 500 calories a day to work properly. 700 is not enough
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    your not eating enough if you don't eat above 1200!! My allowance is 1430, or more if I exercise! I am losing
  • trogalicious
    Options

you sound hungry.

seriously. google BMR. take a look at how much your vital organs need to just run adequately.
  • petrinasupler
    Options
    I'm certainly not tiny. I'm 5'6", 172, size 12. I do sit for 10 hours/day with my job though. I do feel miserable when I eat anything close the 1400.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, judgmental or discouraging. For things like VLCD, a doctor's supervision is very, very important. The collective wisdom of the internet can be great, but it also can't substitute for a doctor with all the facts. This is from a place of concern, not judgment.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not tiny. I'm 5'6", 172, size 12. I do sit for 10 hours/day with my job though. I do feel miserable when I eat anything close the 1400.
    So why did you start this thread, if you're happy with what you're doing and don't want to listen to anyone who disagrees with you?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    miserable, as in too full?

are you eating a ton of "diet" food, or what? Eat real, calorie dense food, and see how easy it is to eat more without eating more.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options

You say you feel miserable eating more than 700 calories a day? Obviously you weren't having that problem before or else you wouldn't be overweight.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800-2000 and still lose. I would die at 700, no joke. :indifferent:
  • petrinasupler
    Options
    I just eat regular food. I've always steered clear of the "diet" foods. I eat salads, fruits, meats.
  • crazebeck
    crazebeck Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, judgmental or discouraging. For things like VLCD, a doctor's supervision is very, very important. The collective wisdom of the internet can be great, but it also can't substitute for a doctor with all the facts. This is from a place of concern, not judgment.

^^This....Couldn't have said it any better.
    No matter height, weight, activity level, etc. - 700 calories is not enough. MFP is a place for people to help and sounds like most people responding is concerned about you and not trying to be sarcastic or to be taken wrong, they just want you to understand this is not normal and to please see your doctor. Good luck and I hope you can find a diet that works for you. I suggest small snacks through out the day. Calorie dense to help out, such as nuts. greek yogurt, eggs, whole grains, etc. I hope you find something that works for you that is a healthier route than you are currently on.
  • JessMahoney1
    JessMahoney1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    So why did you start this thread, if you're happy with what you're doing and don't want to listen to anyone who disagrees with you?

Have to agree here to be honest, We are all saying our opinions and what we think would be best, for them to be shot down again.

To be honest, This is out of the blue and I don't mean to cause offence, but could you be depressed? You can eat to little, not have much of an appetite and under eat if you are depressed?

Anyway hope you sort it out, and maybe start listening to advice being given :)
  • petrinasupler
    Options
    I started gaining about 8 months ago and finally started to diet within the last 2 months when, to me, things were out of control. I gained 20 lbs in the course of 6 months
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I started gaining about 8 months ago and finally started to diet within the last 2 months when, to me, things were out of control. I gained 20 lbs in the course of 6 months

not eating 700 calories a day you didn't. Which means you can eat more than that. You just have decided not to.
  • petrinasupler
    Options
    I started the thread, bc unfortunately I don't know what everyone else's caloric intake is or how their bodies react to eating above or below the recommendation.
  • petrinasupler
    Options
    I said I feel miserable eating amounts close to the 1400 recommended of MFP. I've just been in the habit recently of eating 700-800/day and I feel good. Right now It's 5pm and I've had 320 calories and I feel fine. I can't imagine eating a 1000 calorie dinner and feeling like a million bucks tonight.