No longer losing much weight

Options
Hi everyone,

I would love some input in regards to losing weight faster.

Since January 1st this year I have been eating a little more responsibly and have lost some weight (about half what I want to reach my goal). However, over the last few months now (since around June), I've noticed that my weight is not going down as much as I would have liked. I admit that I could do more to lose weight; I very rarely exercise and this is something that I know I need to change, I also do eat a lot of processed food. I do however, count my calories religiously. I weigh pretty much everything, I refuse to eat anything that I don't know the calories for.

I've had two cheat days since January. Otherwise no takaway meals, no meals out. I feel a little deflated over the fact that I'm still so far away from my goal weight and wonder now if I'll ever reach it.

So, do I now need to exercise to lose weight? Will the weight not come off with calories counting alone? I just cannot find the motivation to do it. I'll have to join the gym - a thought that fills me with dread!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How much are you currently losing per week? Have you updated your calorie goals as you lost?

You don't have to exercise to lose weight at all (think of it more for fitness and overall health), but you do need to make sure you're still in a deficit.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How much are you currently losing per week? Have you updated your calorie goals as you lost?

You don't have to exercise to lose weight at all (think of it more for fitness and overall health), but you do need to make sure you're still in a deficit.

I'm currently eating around 1300 calories a day. I'm losing about a lb every 3-4 weeks.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah weight loss is going to slow down as you approach your goal. Your losing a percentage of your total fat and as you have less fat to lose you will lose less and less per unit time. That is to be expected and I'd recommend you just continue and don't fight against that at all. If you had 60 pounds to lose 2 pound a week would be reasonable. At 30 pounds 1 pound a week. At 15 pounds 0.5 pounds a week. That last 5 to 10 takes a long time.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »

I'm currently eating around 1300 calories a day. I'm losing about a lb every 3-4 weeks.

How much do you have left to lose? As you get close to your goal, the weight loss will slow down. These days when I'm losing, that's about my rate of loss, too, because I have about 15 lbs to go. What are your current stats?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Do you weigh everything you eat?
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah weight loss is going to slow down as you approach your goal. Your losing a percentage of your total fat and as you have less fat to lose you will lose less and less per unit time. That is to be expected and I'd recommend you just continue and don't fight against that at all. If you had 60 pounds to lose 2 pound a week would be reasonable. At 30 pounds 1 pound a week. At 15 pounds 0.5 pounds a week. That last 5 to 10 takes a long time.

I understand that I'll lose weight slowly if I've less to lose. However, I'm losing about 1 lb per month. I've lost 30 lbs, I would like to lose another 30 and at this rate I'll be here for years!
  • Sam29a
    Options

I weigh out pretty much everything with a digital scale, including things like spices. The only things that don't get weighed out are packaged items with calorie content on the wrapper.
  • Sam29a
    Options

How much do you have left to lose? As you get close to your goal, the weight loss will slow down. These days when I'm losing, that's about my rate of loss, too, because I have about 15 lbs to go. What are your current stats?

I'm still very far from my goal unfortunately. Current stats are 5'2 inches and 134 lbs.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It would help to know your stats. As malibu927 said, how much are you losing per week? I looked at your diary and you are eating under your allotment. Have you been doing this all along? Some people are going to tell you to eat more, I'm going to say you need to be more meticulous with your logging, weigh everything because labels aren't always precise. You do need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day to make sure you are getting the nutrients you need. You don't have to exercise, but it does make you feel better and you don't need to join a gym, just go for a walk. Lastly, this process takes time. A slow weight loss is more sustainable than losing it too quickly.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I just read some more of your comments. Do you honestly think 102 pounds is a good weight to strive for? If so, why?
  • Sam29a
    Options

I weigh out pretty much everything with a digital scale, including things like spices. The only things that don't get weighed out are packaged items with calorie content on the wrapper.

Weigh those too. You'll be surprised to see how off those items can be.

Really? I have done before, they are actually not too far off I found. Also, some days I eat under 1300 calories so I'm sure it averages out.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight with being sedentary, that rate of loss might be about what you're going to get, depending on your age.

How old are you?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    At your height and weight with being sedentary, that rate of loss might be about what you're going to get, depending on your age.

How old are you?

This, especially with your current calorie goal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're in the normal healthy BMI range for your height, OP. Once you're in that range, weight loss typically slows down quite a bit.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

I understand that I'll lose weight slowly if I've less to lose. However, I'm losing about 1 lb per month. I've lost 30 lbs, I would like to lose another 30 and at this rate I'll be here for years!

Yeah I'd say for most people it might take months to no longer be overweight, but it takes years to get lean.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    It would help to know your stats. As malibu927 said, how much are you losing per week? I looked at your diary and you are eating under your allotment. Have you been doing this all along? Some people are going to tell you to eat more, I'm going to say you need to be more meticulous with your logging, weigh everything because labels aren't always precise. You do need to eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day to make sure you are getting the nutrients you need. You don't have to exercise, but it does make you feel better and you don't need to join a gym, just go for a walk. Lastly, this process takes time. A slow weight loss is more sustainable than losing it too quickly.

I feel I'm very meticulous wth logging everything. Yes, I don't weigh things that are in wrappers, but if that will help, I'll start doing that too. Although, to me it just feels a little ridiculous. Why do they put the calories on the wrappers if they're incorrect? Also, some products need to be cooked in the packaging, which would make things a little difficult to weigh I'd imagine.

I did undereat most days in June or July - that was because I was unwell. Now I mostly eat my allotted amount - some days I go a little under but rarely by much.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'm still very far from my goal unfortunately. Current stats are 5'2 inches and 134 lbs.

You said you had 30 pounds to lose but here you say you currently weigh 134. That would make you 104 pounds? Have you ever been 104 pounds as an adult? What makes you believe that to be realistic?
  • Sam29a
    Options
    I just read some more of your comments. Do you honestly think 102 pounds is a good weight to strive for? If so, why?

I'm aiming for 105 lbs or so. I've been that weight before and for me, that was a good weight. Not too slim, but not fat either. It may seem less, but for my height I looked fine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm aiming for 105 lbs or so. I've been that weight before and for me, that was a good weight. Not too slim, but not fat either. It may seem less, but for my height I looked fine.

How old are you OP?
  • Sam29a
    Options
    [

How old are you?

I'm 30. I understand weight loss will slow down. My point is that at this rate I'll still be trying to lose weight for a couple of years. I would love to reach my goal weight by next summer - that's a year and a half of trying to lose weight. It's not like I'm expecting my weight to come off in a few weeks. I guess I ought to start exercising if I want faster weight loss.