No longer losing much weight

Options
2»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to throw in 3 exercises a week to give a little boost while eating the same amount you're eating now. If you don't want to weigh wrapped items, honestly, I wouldn't worry about it unless you're going to increase how often you're doing that. All you need to know is that when eating what YOU think is 1300 calories a day, you have approximately a 125 calorie deficit every day (for 0.5 lb every two weeks). They key is to log consistently the same way. So find ways to increase the deficit. Even if 1300 calories is actually 1400, the point is that you want to increase your deficit from what it is now. Weighing absolutely everything is one way to do that. Another way would be to eat 1200 a day. Or to increase exercise without increasing food.

Maybe try some workout videos at home, you don't need a gym membership. Load it up on our phone or computer and do that for 30-40 minutes 3 times a week. Adjust as necessary.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    It wouldn't hurt to throw in 3 exercises a week to give a little boost while eating the same amount you're eating now.

Maybe try some workout videos at home, you don't need a gym membership. Even getting a jump rope and jumping for half an hour 3 times a week in your garage or basement would be an option.

I have a large family and not much privacy to exercise at home. It's far too cold to go for a walk right now, so really my only option would be to join a gym. I don't want to eat less than I am as then it would begin to feel too much like a diet and I'd probably end up binge eating and gaining the weight I've lost back.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I started at 5'1 and130 lbs. it took a year of careful logging and making sure I got in what would be the minimum movement for a sedentary person. (I exercised as well and ate back those calories)
    My calories were 1200 for the whole of the weight loss and I ate them all.

As well as the already mentioned tightening up your logging, you probably need to up your daily movement.

This doesn't have to be exercise, but even as sedentary about 2500 steps per day are expected as well as upper body movements- cooking, laundry, dusting, general house/work activities, fidgeting etc.

Sometimes one has to let go of the efficiency of movement in everyday life to get a few extra calories burnt.
    Walk to close places instead of driving, carry groceries into the house 1 bag at a time, start ironing the sheets etc (something I love), use stairs where you can at work, walk to a co worker to talk instead of texting.

There is probably nothing wrong in your methods, they just need tightening up. Aiming for the bottom of your BMI range, when you are already at a healthy weight is just very, very slow. Hang in and you will get there. The losses you are having at the moment are a little below what I would expect, .5 lbs a week but, if your activity is low, not too much.

Cheers, h.

Oops, I forgot to say my goal was to maintain between 100-105 so a year for a 30lbs loss. I have maintained it for 6 years.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Have you ever taken a diet break? You could try eating at maintenance for a week or two to replenish some of your hormones. Your TDEE should have you losing at a better rate than this, given your age.

Saying that, it doesn't matter what your point is, your body is going to do what it's going to do. Your only choice at this point is to start exercising if the diet break doesn't help kick things back into gear.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    From the calculator.net site (assuming you're 25yo):

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 115.5 lbs
    Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.1 lbs
    Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 110.5 lbs
    Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 110.0 lbs
    Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 101.1 lbs - 136.7 lbs

Most of these are higher than 104 lbs. I If it were me, I'd be shooting for the 110 lbs figure because I suspect at 104 you might look emaciated. Here are the numbers it gives for weight loss at your current stats for a 25yo sedentary female:

You need 1,567 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
    You need 1,067 Calories/day to lose 1 lb per week.
    You need 567 Calories/day to lose 2 lb per week.

At 1300 calories per day, you should get maybe half a pound of weight loss per week. You're reporting a quarter pound per week, which is by my calculations about a 120 calorie per day difference. That's the equivalent of a large banana or a small handful of nuts. As others have said, when you're close to your goal (which you are) it gets harder to lose those last few pounds. And small choices and errors in measurement have a much greater impact when we have 20 lbs to lose rather than 100 lbs.

I'm within 15-20 lbs of my final goal, and I've been stuck there for months. The solution? I need to add in some exercise and be scrupulous about weighing and logging food. I can't be as sloppy about it as when I had 70+ lbs. to lose. Or alternatively, be happy with where I'm at.

• VeryKatie
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    It wouldn't hurt to throw in 3 exercises a week to give a little boost while eating the same amount you're eating now.

Maybe try some workout videos at home, you don't need a gym membership. Even getting a jump rope and jumping for half an hour 3 times a week in your garage or basement would be an option.

I have a large family and not much privacy to exercise at home. It's far too cold to go for a walk right now, so really my only option would be to join a gym. I don't want to eat less than I am as then it would begin to feel too much like a diet and I'd probably end up binge eating and gaining the weight I've lost back.

I definitely get that it can be too cold. Are you from Canada too? Lol. I don't exercise outside for that reason.

What if you woke up earlier to use the TV for a bit of time before others are awake? Or ask your family in advance for a regular time slot that you get to use the room to exercise? Or, if you really don't like the sound of a gym, what about finding an indoor sport that you like? Soccer? Ultimate Frisbee? Tennis? Badminton? Join a trampoline park gymnastics program? Something that you find more enjoyable than the gym. Not all exercise has to be conventional exercise. Also... is it really so bad if you exercised with your family around (I don't know them, so that's your call to make). What about exercising with a friend at their house, someone else who has an interest in it? Like working on the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred with a friend for example.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    How cold is it for it to be too cold to walk outside?

But yeah, you're pretty petite and not active, it's going to be hard to see larger losses. So either you find a way to increase your activity or accept it's just going to take a while to get to your goal (which may or may not be a bit low, some people do need to be at the lower end of the BMI scale to achieve their desired aesthetic, particularly with no exercise).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what OP is hoping to hear - eating less is not an option, exercising is not an option. Magic solution is? I think you should add in exercise, just figure it out. Your family already knows you are dieting if you are weighing and counting like you are, what's wrong with asking to just have the bedroom for half an hour three days a week and do some jumping jacks, and high knees and pushups and stuff? Put some music on and work it out.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    I started at 5'1 and130 lbs. it took a year of careful logging and making sure I got in what would be the minimum movement for a sedentary person. (I exercised as well and ate back those calories)

As well as the already mentioned tightening up your logging, you probably need to up your daily movement.

This doesn't have to be exercise, but even as sedentary about 2500 steps per day are expected as well as upper body movements- cooking, laundry, dusting, general house/work activities, fidgeting etc.

Sometimes one has to let go of the efficiency of movement in everyday life to get a few extra calories burnt.
    Walk to close places instead of driving, carry groceries into the house 1 bag at a time, start ironing the sheets etc (something I love), use stairs where you can at work, walk to a co worker to talk instead of texting.

There is probably nothing wrong in your methods, they just need tightening up. Aiming for the bottom of your BMI range, when you are already at a healthy weight is just very, very slow. Hang in and you will get there. The losses you are having at the moment are a little below what I would expect, .5 lbs a week but, if your activity is low, not too much.

Cheers, h.

Reading this is making me think I'm just being too impatient! Some weight loss is better than no weight loss - but I do think I ought to do some exercise. I work in a office where I spend almost the whole time sitting down. I travel about 3-4 hours a day, to and back from work, and again spend all that time sitting. So I don't do much walking or moving around. I'm also doing a degree via distance learning so again spend a lot of time sitting duing my free time too. I do very little housework - I have help due to lack of time.
    vingogly wrote: »

Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 101.1 lbs - 136.7 lbs

Most of these are higher than 104 lbs. I If it were me, I'd be shooting for the 110 lbs figure because I suspect at 104 you might look emaciated. Here are the numbers it gives for weight loss at your current stats for a 25yo sedentary female:

At 1300 calories per day, you should get maybe half a pound of weight loss per week. You're reporting a quarter pound per week, which is by my calculations about a 120 calorie per day difference. That's the equivalent of a large banana or a small handful of nuts. As others have said, when you're close to your goal (which you are) it gets harder to lose those last few pounds. And small choices and errors in measurement have a much greater impact when we have 20 lbs to lose rather than 100 lbs.

I'm within 15-20 lbs of my final goal, and I've been stuck there for months. The solution? I need to add in some exercise and be scrupulous about weighing and logging food. I can't be as sloppy about it as when I had 70+ lbs. to lose. Or alternatively, be happy with where I'm at.

I'm 30. I used to weigh around 90 lbs when I was 20 - that was emaciated! I think I looked my best at 105 lbs, hence wanting to aim for that. Although I understand that not weighing packaged food might make a difference, most days I eat less than 1300 calories, so I think it should average out. I always weigh out fruit, nuts etc to the gram. It's only food with calories written on the label that I don't weigh. Also, I still have 30 lbs to lose, I'm not quite near my goal weight yet!

I agree about the exercise though. Might just have to join my local gym and hope for the best :smile:
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2016
    Options

Cheers, h.

Reading this is making me think I'm just being too impatient! Some weight loss is better than no weight loss - but I do think I ought to do some exercise. I work in a office where I spend almost the whole time sitting down. I travel about 3-4 hours a day, to and back from work, and again spend all that time sitting. So I don't do much walking or moving around. I'm also doing a degree via distance learning so again spend a lot of time sitting duing my free time too. I do very little housework - I have help due to lack of time.

I'm 30. I used to weigh around 90 lbs when I was 20 - that was emaciated! I think I looked my best at 105 lbs, hence wanting to aim for that. Although I understand that not weighing packaged food might make a difference, most days I eat less than 1300 calories, so I think it should average out. I always weigh out fruit, nuts etc to the gram. It's only food with calories written on the label that I don't weigh. Also, I still have 30 lbs to lose, I'm not quite near my goal weight yet!

I agree about the exercise though. Might just have to join my local gym and hope for the best :smile:

Actually another thing to look into is if you're using the best database entries in MFP. Some of them can be wrong, so you have to be careful about that too. I run into it A LOT since it seems like the Canadian version of the same product in the USA will have different nutritional value. Example if I log 250 ml of soy milk. The USA version has 100 calories, but the Canadian one has 110. So maybe take a look at the entries you're using, do some cross referencing on other sites to compare. Just to make sure some of it isn't in that aspect of your logging. Such is the way with a user created database.

Also keep in mind that our bodies change between the time we're 20 and 30. So even if 105 was fine at 20, you may wish to reevaluate at 110 this time around, just to be sure. At 20, you're still "filling out" (hips widening, breasts increasing etc.)
  • Sam29a
    Options
    I'm not sure what OP is hoping to hear - eating less is not an option, exercising is not an option. Magic solution is? I think you should add in exercise, just figure it out. Your family already knows you are dieting if you are weighing and counting like you are, what's wrong with asking to just have the bedroom for half an hour three days a week and do some jumping jacks, and high knees and pushups and stuff? Put some music on and work it out.

Exercising is an option - when have I said otherwise? In fact I'm joining the gym this week. I only wanted to know why I was losing weight so slowly, (especially when I see posts about people trying to lose 10 lbs by Christmas!) but it seems I'm not, others have gone through something similar once they've lost some weight. I don't like to exercise, but if that's the only option then I'll do it.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

How cold is too cold? Just wondering. I wear more clothes when it's cold out. -15F (-26C) is typically my cutoff point, mainly because I don't want my dog to frost bite her feet. If it's icy I wear ice cleats. If I didn't go out when it's cold I'd get cabin fever and go crazy. But, I understand if you don't like the cold, many people don't.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Glad you are thinking of exercise. I didn't want to push it as you said you didn't and it is a personal choice.

If you do exercise, eat back a portion of your calories. Start with 75%.

I am twice your age, but worked it out that I burnt on average 200 cals per hr of exercise. I ate back 175 of those until I was 10lbs from goal then dropped it to 150. You should burn more as you are younger.

It takes about 6 weeks of acurate logging to get what your personal calorie burn will be.

You do have a busy life. If you have a lot of reading, in your job or course work, try pacing up and down a hallway while reading. I nearly wore a groove in our hall.
    Try to fit in cardio and some kind of strength training if you can.

Cheers, h.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Cheers, h.

Actually another thing to look into is if you're using the best database entries in MFP. Some of them can be wrong, so you have to be careful about that too. I run into it A LOT since it seems like the Canadian version of the same product in the USA will have different nutritional value. Example if I log 250 ml of soy milk. The USA version has 100 calories, but the Canadian one has 110. So maybe take a look at the entries you're using, do some cross referencing on other sites to compare. Just to make sure some of it isn't in that aspect of your logging. Such is the way with a user created database.

Also keep in mind that our bodies change between the time we're 20 and 30. So even if 105 was fine at 20, you may wish to reevaluate at 110 this time around, just to be sure. At 20, you're still "filling out" (hips widening, breasts increasing etc.)

I live in the us and a cup of most liquids here is listed on the packages as 240ml. a measuring cup says 235ml on it. so that is probably why the calories vary from the US to the canadian entries
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

I live in the us and a cup of most liquids here is listed on the packages as 240ml. a measuring cup says 235ml on it. so that is probably why the calories vary from the US to the canadian entries

My 'cup' measurements on jugs and plastic measuring cups are shown as 250ml (Canadian), although packaging values sometimes show 240ml for "a cup" of whatever liquid it is! I think they just like to keep us on our toes.

There is some variation in products (especially processed foods) due to the ingredients as well, I believe - Canadian manufacturers might use different sweeteners or have slightly different proportions of the ingredients, for example. I also know that when I've looked at the nutritional info for restaurants online I have to make sure I find the Canadian info because it will be different to the American branch of the same chain. And I often find that when I log a product such as jam or cereal I'll have to hunt around the entries to find one that actually matches the info on the packaging!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Are you crazy?! 1lb every month is not "slow" especially since you are already extremely tiny. Took me months to lose the last bit.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    You answered your own questions. You see areas where you tighten up.. like adding exercise and ditching processed foods. You have done a great job to this point..and it is good news you have a few places where you can perfect and get your weight moving back down. Imagine the person who does everything perfect and they get stuck.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Exercising is an option - when have I said otherwise? In fact I'm joining the gym this week. I only wanted to know why I was losing weight so slowly, (especially when I see posts about people trying to lose 10 lbs by Christmas!) but it seems I'm not, others have gone through something similar once they've lost some weight. I don't like to exercise, but if that's the only option then I'll do it.

When you said "I have a large family and not much privacy to exercise at home. It's far too cold to go for a walk right now, so really my only option would be to join a gym."

It reads as "these are the reasons I don't want to exercise."

I think you're slow to lose because you aren't terribly overweight, as a few other people have said.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

My 'cup' measurements on jugs and plastic measuring cups are shown as 250ml (Canadian), although packaging values sometimes show 240ml for "a cup" of whatever liquid it is! I think they just like to keep us on our toes.

There is some variation in products (especially processed foods) due to the ingredients as well, I believe - Canadian manufacturers might use different sweeteners or have slightly different proportions of the ingredients, for example. I also know that when I've looked at the nutritional info for restaurants online I have to make sure I find the Canadian info because it will be different to the American branch of the same chain. And I often find that when I log a product such as jam or cereal I'll have to hunt around the entries to find one that actually matches the info on the packaging!

yeah or you can create you own entries as well. saves time too later on
  • VeryKatie
    edited October 2016
    Options

Cheers, h.

Yes, sometimes is a measurement thing but that was just one example. The recipes for yogurt are very different as an example. Also the "snack" size bags of chips have different amount of flavourings as well as being a difference size. So I often can't just select things like that without typing "Canada" in the description. It is true that the same company will alter their recipes based on what the local market likes. If they don't, they often fail and have to pull out of that market. So even if the serving size is exactly the same, and the product name is the same, the nutritional profile will still be a bit different. Restaurant nutritional profiles (think McDonald's) are very different as well. So if you're not cross-checking the MFP entries with the another appropriate source, it's extremely easy to choose the wrong database entry. I have this problem ESPECIALLY when scanning barcodes (which is very unfortunate).

I shop by price, not by brand most of the time, so I've probably already created over 1000 database entries for different foods (at least one a day). It's doesn't save time since it will be a while until I have that brand again in the future.