When's the last time you ran a full sprint?

Options
13»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    those that sprint at the end of a distance race isn't quite the same thing, as your body cannot be pushed as hard as the OP is talking about. a 50m sprint at the end of a 5K will be much slower than a 50m sprint fresh off of a warm up.
    Um........I've got a pretty good kick. Always have. Lately I've been doing a track workout where I run the almost distance of a 5k in different intervals (1 mile, 3/4 mile, 1/2 mile, 1/4 mile), then I do 4-6 200m sprints.
    It is a routine type of workout for serious athletes who run 800m - 1500m.
    Are they as fast as my 200m's might be if I was fresh? Probably not. But they are all out.
    I think a sprint at the end of a run counts.
    I love sprinting.

I was a track athlete, and very rarely, if every, in training do you go 100%, typically in the 70-90% max effort, so even a sprinter wont go full out, except in a race. Fast yes, full out, no.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ^ seems like we are quibbling. I am not sure it is that important. I don't think the OP was defining it that precisely....nor did he mean to.
    If I am going as fast as I can in that present moment, that's all out. Could I go faster in another situation, in another time and place? Undoubtedly.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I sprinted on Tuesday after reading this thread.

I compared it with the first 500 metres I ran a year ago.

Last year: 3 minutes 35 seconds.
    This year: 2 minutes 21 seconds.

Holy crap! :D Thanks for the inspiration!
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

.... away from the LAPD

Don't ask; thanks.

Oh, snap!!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My running club does magic mile track sessions every 2 months which are tough and finish with a sprint but my last proper sprint was at the end of the first cross country race of the season a few weeks ago. Flat out sprint to try and pass the guy in front was on my knees once i'd past the finish
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I think I sprinted some in middle school as part of gym class. Other than that, never.

Closest I do is a mile as fast as I can manage without being totally gassed at the finish (because it's the 2nd mile in what's normally a 4-5 mile run).
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    Mostly every week. My Boot Camp and HIIT class instructors outside have us do sprints up and down the field. I like the all out efforts but hate seeing the younger, taller people fly right by me