Starting keto

I'm on my forth day of keto. It's hard to talk about it to people who don't understand the concept so looking to hear from people already on the journey.

Any tips greatly appreciated Thank you!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2016
    Come join the Low Carber Daily group. Thousands of low carbers and hundreds of keto'ers who will "get it". Good luck! :)http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

My tip is to increase sodium to avoid electrolyte imbalance symptoms of headache, fatigue, moodiness, nausea and muscle aches.
  • scottbedmonds
    scottbedmonds Posts: 2 Member
    I think it is important to supplement, for me, multivitamins + potassium and magnesium. Once you get used to it, it is much better.
  • Crash047
    Crash047 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm just beginning proper keto but have previously done paleo which was more like keto because I didnt give up lactose and smashed cheese and wine daily.

The hardest thing is the massive reduction in carbs. Hidden sugars will destroy your macros. Remember that the daily avg carbs is 30g - but that total is actually an adjusted value which MFP doesnt work out. The formula is total carbs - fibre = 30g ie if you had a total of 60g of carbs but 30g was fibre than you've stuck to your goal. So have as much fibre within reason and subtract fibre values from your total.

Also with the keto flu - sugar free powerade has added micronutrients needed to shake the symptoms, but there are other supplements out there
  • Motivation72
    Motivation72 Posts: 6 Member
    amato1504 wrote: »
    I'm on my forth day of keto. It's hard to talk about it to people who don't understand the concept so looking to hear from people already on the journey.

Any tips greatly appreciated Thank you!

Add me if it'll help. I'm 5 months keto. 4 stone lost (56lb). Had a weekend away this week and gained 10lb. Back on it hard now!