Why do so many people say they can't reach their calorie goal?

Options

Replies

• Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I actually started logging calories cause I wasn't eating enough, side effect of my meds is bad loss of appetite. When I first joined here I was maybe at 500-700 calories per day.. if I was lucky. If I recall correctly I asked for advice here on how to build up to 1200 calories again. Got some helpful answers.

Usually I didn't reach 700. It took me about 5 weeks to train my body to eat 1200 calories again and now I'm struggling to eat under 1700 calories.. :P

If I'm guessing I think it's people who don't know what to eat to eat healthy and aren't healthy. That was one of my main problems.. So that their struggle to get 1200 isn't because they're not hungry but because they don't know what to eat.. Or they're just nuts like I was.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I have had a decrease in appetite. I have quite a ways to go from my goal weight but I do have days from time to time where I don't hit 1200 calories, my daily "goal" is 1500. It's possible. But for me, not an everyday issue.
  • lizardlipsagain
    lizardlipsagain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many people are eating within their set macros? I recorded earlier that I was new to MFP and have concerns with cholesteral and high blood pressure so I'm trying to eat better choices.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many people are eating within their set macros? I recorded earlier that I was new to MFP and have concerns with cholesteral and high blood pressure so I'm trying to eat better choices.

I try, but I'm actually happy if protein (or fat) is higher than goal. Mostly, I view my protein and fat numbers as targets since without conscious effort, I eat primarily carbs (albeit healthy ones).
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I went from getting the majority of my calories from soda, candy and ramen to trying to "eat clean". I regularly failed to reach 1200. For me it was a combination of the change in volume of food and the fact that veggies and protein weren't particularly appealing. I eventually found more of a balance but still anytime I try to eat healthier (which I really should), my appetite vanishes.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    edena001 wrote: »
    johunt615 wrote: »
    @edena001 don't take it personal - there are a lot of folks that say this and it does seem strange that over weight folks trying to loose weight can't eat 1200 calories otherwise how did they become overweight.

I totally changed the way I was eating when I first started and I was eating a ton of protein bars that gave me a heavy feeling in my stomach. Since I stopped eating those I've returned to having no problem eating 1250 calories.

I think there are legitimate reasons but they don't usually last.

The problem isn't necessarily over weight people eating too much, it's that they're not exercising. There would be some days I would only take 60 steps? And eating the wrong type of foods. During the last year because of the flat I was in I was eating stuff like snacks for dinner and pot noodles, shop brought sandwiches etc, take aways. If you go from that to cooking all your meals from scratch then there's a huge change in how many calories you consume.
    You don't come on here and keep your exact eating pattern. You change and adapt it it's the whole point of this app

I eat all of the same food I ate before, I just fit it into my calorie goal, so no, not everyone changes everything. Completely changing would not have been sustainable for me.

I said you change and adapt? You've changed you're eating plan to adapt to your needs? I didn't say it was a drastic change to anyone ? But you're not going to come on here and continue eating takeaways 3 times a week and chocolate bars every day?

Well, no, but I did come on and continue eating chocolate 3 times a week and takeaways pretty much every day (weekday lunches and brunches or dinners on the weekend) (and lost more than my initial target, and have maintained for nearly 3 years now). Does that count?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

If you're under a doctor's care, you want to abide by his/her guidelines, but it's my understanding that reducing your weight will probably have a larger impact on your cholesterol & BP than any particular food choices. Macros are helpful in achieving a balanced diet, and many find their satiety increases by hitting them, thus improving the odds of sticking to your weight loss plan.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Also, I should add not everyone has their macros set the same. MFP has a default setting, but many prefer less carbs or more protein, for instance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I very rarely hit my macros spot on, plus i have my fitbit synced so they are a constantly moving target. I usually get way more protein, am mostly over in fat and am usually a fair bit under on carbs.
  • tbramos07
    tbramos07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, once I started eating more whole grains, veggies, and proteins such as beans, fish, and chicken, I felt satisfied longer and no longer craved. The bad stuff. Exercising also helps keep me focused. When I eat the good stuff in sensible portions, and give it about 10-15 minutes, I realize I no longer feel like eating. Junk makes you continue to crave junk. Also, when you subtract the calories that you burn, it's amazing the calories you have left.

Also, maybe it's the portions some are still in the habit of eating. It's amazing how much less you can survive off of when you eat good healthy food. I eat as little as some grade school kids and I feel totally satisfied. Part of me has fallen out of love with food and in love with health. Don't get me wrong, I still like food, but I don't live to eat like I used to. I eat to live. It could be an issue of the heart.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Normally people we encounter in our lives such as family, friends, coworker and strangers don't talk to us the way folks do on a forum. Other than an argument with a family member or my rebellious teens have I heard some of the talk that goes on in forums between people. I suspect they don't talk like that face to face with most people. New people that come onto forums and haven't been exposed to people calling them out get offended then eventually develop thicker skin then I suppose they start talking like that too. Idk
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    They probably cut everything out (the good stuff), then just eat things they know are low calorie, and become too scared to add higher calorie items.
  • kgracesch
    kgracesch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Beats me! I just finally accepted I need 2000 calories or up a day! I lose on 2000 and maintain a bit over 2000. Eating is important and so is listening to your body. A nutritionist once told me he never ever put anyone on any # under 1700 calories a day as it isn't healthy for the brain and vital organs in the long term. Eat and exercise for vitality and longevity :)
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think it's usually folks early on in their journey who have this issue. When I started, I was super motivated, carefully considering whether every piece of food that went into my mouth was "worth" the calorie impact, and perpetually afraid of running out of calories and not being able to have a post-kids-bedtime treat. So some days I would get to the end of the day with 4-500 calories left and would only need a 150 calories snack... haha, I remember those days. Doesn't happen anymore. I'm still motivated, but I want to have energy throughout the day and I know the world won't implode if I have my evening treat over my calorie limit.

When I see posts about this, I just try to remember we're all at different points on our journey.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Now that this thread has been resurrected, I'd like to weigh in on this. I didn't read all of the responses, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already. I'm not trying to be rude or offend anyone, but another part of this is because of how high someone's body fat percentage is at the start of their journey. People who join this site with the goal of weight loss normally have a lot of excess body fat which allows them to be able to feel full on such a low amount of calories if they make better food choices. This is why over time as people lose weight, 1200 calories per day becomes harder to continue.

When I first started here, I was able to stick to 1200 calories even WITH daily exercise because I had excess body fat that was sustaining me with that high deficit. Now that it's been a few years and I've completely changed body wise, I can't even imagine eating 1200 calories, even without exercising. I need at least 1800 calories per day to feel okay and normally eat 2000 to 2300 calories per day to maintain.