Burn more cals

Options
I am a student so I spend most of my time sitting down and usually end up with my back hurting . I do use the elliptical for 45 mins everyday but I dont think thats enough , even according to my Fitbit. Any ideas on how I can burn more calories / move more during the day? Walking outside is currently not an option as its winter and the weather is horrible.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to be a smartass but where are you that it is winter in October? Do you walk outside back and forth between classes? If your classes are all in the same building you could get up and walk laps through the building.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    I am a student so I spend most of my time sitting down and usually end up with my back hurting . I do use the elliptical for 45 mins everyday but I dont think thats enough , even according to my Fitbit. Any ideas on how I can burn more calories / move more during the day? Walking outside is currently not an option as its winter and the weather is horrible.

so use the elliptical for longer if its not enough...
  • lindsaya1995
    lindsaya1995 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could split up your workouts into smaller more intense sessions (HIIT) rather than 45 min of cardio. HIIT is more effective in burning calories and you can do them in the house following a workout video (I recommend fitnessblender). I'm a student too and I know some days I feel like I don't have time but when you break that hour into smaller junks throughout the day its more manageable. I also try and just take the stairs or do some calf raises whilst waiting around for classes!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am not trying to be a smartass but where are you that it is winter in October? Do you walk outside back and forth between classes? If your classes are all in the same building you could get up and walk laps through the building.

Was thinking the same thing!!!

Why are you looking to burn more calories? If it's weight loss, eat at a deficit.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are only 19. There are no excuses for sitting all day :) Go out for a walk or run (unless you are somewhere with a non-stop 6 month storm going on), see what is available to students (weight room, pool, track and field?), get into a new sport (you are at the ideal age), and if all else fails, just put on some music and dance
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn
  • healthy491
    Options
    Maybe you could split up your workouts into smaller more intense sessions (HIIT) rather than 45 min of cardio. HIIT is more effective in burning calories and you can do them in the house following a workout video (I recommend fitnessblender). I'm a student too and I know some days I feel like I don't have time but when you break that hour into smaller junks throughout the day its more manageable. I also try and just take the stairs or do some calf raises whilst waiting around for classes!

Love this idea ! Will definetly try it .. how many times a day do you workout ? If I may ask :)
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I meant Autumn

sounds like an excuse to me, so you have the choice of the next 6 months of 'horrible' weather, or you just go out anyway....
  • healthy491
    Options

I meant Autumn

sounds like an excuse to me, so you have the choice of the next 6 months of 'horrible' weather, or you just go out anyway....

In the rain...?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I didn't have a car when I went to school.. I lived off campus so I had no choice but to walk everywhere. I went to school in Hamilton, Ontario (Canada) so the weather was definitely less than ideal most of the time (freezing, ice, snow etc..). If you are really opposed to walking outside , take the stairs when you can, walk around buildings. Does your campus have an underground walkway? Mine did and it was cool you could get places (and sometimes a bit lost) without going outside.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

If it rains every day surely you get used to the rain and are able to function in it. If it does not rain everyday the obvious solution is to go outside when it's not raining.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

Radical idea - wear a jacket perhaps?
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

rain?! oh no!!!! are you the wicked witch of the west?! will you melt in the rain?!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to burn more calories, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is more effective than just the elliptical. Nice thing about HIIT is you don't need weights or much space.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    If you're trying to burn more calories, HIIT (high intensity interval training) is more effective than just the elliptical. Nice thing about HIIT is you don't need weights or much space.

HIIT is not more effective.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing ;)

I walk here in the winter regularly when it is -40, because like @sardelsa said, I don't have a car and I have no choice. There are always exceptions with really, really extreme weather, but I find it's usually not too bad once you get going.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

That's what rain jackets and umbrellas are for.

I walk just about every day of the year ... and if it happens that the weather is REALLY bad, I'll walk in a shopping centre or at my university gym.
  • healthy491
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

rain?! oh no!!!! are you the wicked witch of the west?! will you melt in the rain?!

Who the *kitten* goes out walking in the rain?
  • DonutBelly
    DonutBelly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use to take a theraband and work out my legs discreetly... , hold my core, walk/push ups/tricep dip during breaks..