Burn more cals

Options

Replies

• healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I asked this question for ideas , not for people to tell me that I should go out regardless of the weather . Therefore , if you dont have any other idea , I dont see the point .
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you have that much rain it would be wise to invest in some wet weather workout gear. Me I hate being locked up inside. You mentioned FitBit tracking on an elliptical. I am not sure how that motion effects the counter in your device so it could be a bit off.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to "move more during the day", but you don't want to go outside ... You'll have to spend more time at the gym. Or workout at home. There are a variety of free workout videos on YouTube.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I am not trying to be a smartass but where are you that it is winter in October? Do you walk outside back and forth between classes? If your classes are all in the same building you could get up and walk laps through the building.

I meant Autumn

sounds like an excuse to me, so you have the choice of the next 6 months of 'horrible' weather, or you just go out anyway....

In the rain...?

rain?! oh no!!!! are you the wicked witch of the west?! will you melt in the rain?!

Who the *kitten* goes out walking in the rain?

Who?
    People who choose to increase their calories out rather than reduce their calories in.

Your choice but using rain as an excuse not to get outside doesn't strike me as a characteristic of someone determined to make a success of this.
    Sorry if that comes across as judgemental but you are going to face tougher challenges in life than a little bit of rain.

Walk up and down the stairs indoors if you want an alternative.
    Or stick an exercise bike in front of your TV.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I am not trying to be a smartass but where are you that it is winter in October? Do you walk outside back and forth between classes? If your classes are all in the same building you could get up and walk laps through the building.

I meant Autumn

sounds like an excuse to me, so you have the choice of the next 6 months of 'horrible' weather, or you just go out anyway....

In the rain...?

If you allow weather to be your excuse.....it's mine too (ice covered covered sidewalks....nope) then "walk" indoors. Check out walking videos on YouTube. They also come in DVD form.

http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

If you don't want to exercise outdoors, you can always find something indoors.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I walk in the rain. I have run in the rain too. Feels good.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Does your campus have a gym available to students? Try some different cardio machines or mix it up with some strength training. You can always just listen to some music and walk up and down stairs, or dance
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I walk in the rain too (well no torrential downpours but normal rain). Maybe you can find an exercise video online that you like that you can do inside?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

rain?! oh no!!!! are you the wicked witch of the west?! will you melt in the rain?!

:laugh:

ok, just moan about your calorie burn instead!
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

I do all the time. I love it. In college, it is especially fun with a very cute Significant Other. But it is fine by yourself, too. Particularly if one wishes to cultivate their melancholia after dramatics with the Significant Other. How can one understand their Yeats (or really any Irish author) without wandering about in the rain? How can one parse the sad lyricism of Nobel Laureate Bob Dylan? How can one fully appreciate the social repercussions of the English Enclosure Acts? Thoughtful perambulation across different kinds of weather not only burns calories, it builds your mind and character.

"... in the distant woods or fields, in unpretending sprout-lands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day, like this, when a villager would be thinking of his inn, I come to myself, I once more feel myself grandly related, and that cold and solitude are friends of mine. I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing and prayer. I come home to my solitary woodland walk as the homesick go home. I thus dispose of the superfluous and see things as they are, grand and beautiful. I have told many that I walk every day about half the daylight, but I think they do not believe it. I wish to get the Concord, the Massachusetts, the America, out of my head and be sane a part of every day."
    - Thoreau's Journal, January 7, 1857

Nowadays I just make my cute Significant Other watch the kids while I walk in the rain, or as I did yesterday, layered up and rode my bike for an hour in the face of a biting wind. *bracing*

Or you could just get your butt into the weight room. That works too.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could split up your workouts into smaller more intense sessions (HIIT) rather than 45 min of cardio. HIIT is more effective in burning calories and you can do them in the house following a workout video (I recommend fitnessblender). I'm a student too and I know some days I feel like I don't have time but when you break that hour into smaller junks throughout the day its more manageable. I also try and just take the stairs or do some calf raises whilst waiting around for classes!

The concept of HIIT is that it burns calories after you've stopped exercising for longer than normal. At least that's the hype. Does it? Because I can get on my elliptical machine and go for 15 minutes at a steady pace and burn about 225 calories (this is going at it hard at max or near max resistance level and a anaerobic heart rate for most of it), but I can also go on an HIIT session/program for 15 minutes (slows down and speeds up, so switches between aerobic and anaerobic heart rates) and burn either the same or usually slightly less calories. There's no way to really gauge the calories you burn that are extra because of HIIT, so it may not be apparent. Not arguing with anyone's suggestion at all, just saying, I see no real difference in HIIT vs steady state cardio, at least the way I do it.

My suggestion to the OP is walking. Yea, it may suck outside, but you aren't in the classroom 18 hours a day, or at least you shouldn't be. Taking an extra 15 minutes here and there to do some extra walking won't hurt you, and won't impact your day all that much. If you can't walk outside, walk inside, I do it all the time in the winter, even if it's just from one end of my house to the other over and over.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

I do, lots of people do, you wont shrink
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could split up your workouts into smaller more intense sessions (HIIT) rather than 45 min of cardio. HIIT is more effective in burning calories and you can do them in the house following a workout video (I recommend fitnessblender). I'm a student too and I know some days I feel like I don't have time but when you break that hour into smaller junks throughout the day its more manageable. I also try and just take the stairs or do some calf raises whilst waiting around for classes!

The concept of HIIT is that it burns calories after you've stopped exercising for longer than normal. At least that's the hype. Does it? Because I can get on my elliptical machine and go for 15 minutes at a steady pace and burn about 225 calories (this is going at it hard at max or near max resistance level and a anaerobic heart rate for most of it), but I can also go on an HIIT session/program for 15 minutes (slows down and speeds up, so switches between aerobic and anaerobic heart rates) and burn either the same or usually slightly less calories. There's no way to really gauge the calories you burn that are extra because of HIIT, so it may not be apparent. Not arguing with anyone's suggestion at all, just saying, I see no real difference in HIIT vs steady state cardio, at least the way I do it.
    @Spliner1969
    Mostly hype.
    Lyle McDonald did an experiment comparing HIIT to steady state and he came up with "after burn" numbers that were double for HIIT compared to steady state. Woo hoo! :)
    But as the numbers were 7% and 14% and as HIIT typically is far shorter duration 7% of a much larger number can easily outstrip 14% of a small number.

But in the end people should choose their exercise primarily for their fitness goals and frequently a mix of both may be optimal.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

To repeat the question I ask my own 19 year old daughter when she tries to avoid walking the dogs in the rain.....are you made of sugar? Wear a rain coat and appropriate foot wear. There are many of us who run outside all year 'round and it gets down to -35 / -40C around here. There is no bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

If you really want to get more exercise you'll find ways to do so, otherwise you'll just keep on making excuses.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,107 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

I do! And I cycle in it too. :)

I am not the Wicked Witch of the West ... nor am I made of sugar.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I meant Autumn

In the rain...?

You rang? Unless it's pouring with heavy wind - or icy - I walk just about every day at lunch. I dress appropriately.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to burn more calories? If it's weight loss, eat at a deficit.

Probably because if you burn more calories, you can eat more food and still be at a deficit. :wink:
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options

Healthy people.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Healthy people.

:flowerforyou:
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with walking/running in the rain, I actually kinda like it because it keeps me cool during an intense workout.

The college I went to had a gym with lots of stuff, and a few aerobics classes, or they gave discounts at the local (non-student) gym. I frequently saw people walking on the treadmill or spinning on a bike with note cards or a textbook propped in front of them. Along those same lines of balancing study and fitness, you could take a study break to do jumping jacks every ten minutes or so. Or hold a plank while reading a section of textbook. Or squats and lunges while reading a textbook or reviewing note cards.

Youtube has tons of HIIT, Pilates, body weight types workouts that you could do in your room. And as previously mentioned; dance. My roommate and I loved to crank up the music and jam out.