Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I drink it most days. It fits my macros. I eat LCHF and tend to skip a breakfast do drinking coffee with a teaspoon of coconut oil (lots of MCTs - great for brain health) and some cream fills me up. Plus I love sipping coffee and like the taste.

I've always liked drinking my calories too. I like smoothies, coffee with cream, teas, and I used to like alcoholic drinks. Those who don't drink their calories might not enjoy it.

I am sure it isn't bad for you. My BPC probably has about the same calories as someone else's creamer and sugar. I just don't have the carbs in mine.

About the only time BPC might be a bad idea is if you are adding it onto an already full breakfast. Depending on how you make it, it could be a few hundred extra calories per day.

IIRC one of Asprey's recommendations clocks in around 600cals? At SOME point I'd have to think that might matter in some individuals even under a condition where someone isn't gaining bodyweight.

You could be right. I have no idea - I've never followed Asprey. I was putting coconut oil in my coffee long before I'd ever heard of him or BPC. It started with coconut cream from a can because I had some dairy issues and liked cream in my coffee, and many of the substitute milks had cross contamination issues that could have been a problem for my family. I switched to coconut oil because it was cheaper than coconut milk.

600kcal of coconut oil is a lot. Theraputic levels are often that high but I doubt the average Joe needs, or wants that much. I'd be in the bathroom all day if I didn't build up to that much.

Lets drink 1000kcal BP coffees and then go on my new program, Sharting Strength

:laugh:
    Nothing can top this!!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to find out what's therapeutic about MCT at a certain level..........

It can be theuraputic for brain injuries or disorders like epilepsy as well as for alzheimer's. It can also be used to help treat some brain cancers in some people.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting to find out what's therapeutic about MCT at a certain level..........

It can be theuraputic for brain injuries or disorders like epilepsy as well as for alzheimer's. It can also be used to help treat some brain cancers in some people.

Citations, please?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Citations, please?

I don't know about those uses, but MCT's have been used medically to treat celiac disease and other malabsorptive disorders.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Citations, please?

I don't know about those uses, but MCT's have been used medically to treat celiac disease and other malabsorptive disorders.

I was aware of MCT's being used in the treatment of celiac disease, but hadn't heard of the ones that nvmomketo mentioned, either. :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee, but if I did there is nothing to intice me to add butter or oil and see those oily speckles floating wround in it. Way too much oily stuff to drink for my taste. Fat and food = good.

However, I think everyone jas their own taste buds, so whatver. :neutral:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think I find the idea especially unappealing because in the UK, cream in coffee isn't a thing. You're hard pushed to find creamer at all as well. So the idea of adding something even fattier and drinking it. No. Not for me. Probably good for dry lips though.........
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Okay, I give up! What's MCT?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I think I find the idea especially unappealing because in the UK, cream in coffee isn't a thing. You're hard pushed to find creamer at all as well. So the idea of adding something even fattier and drinking it. No. Not for me. Probably good for dry lips though.........

you might be right about dry lipsI

I do prefer my fat on/in food as opposed to being in my beverages..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Medium Chain Triglycerides
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Medium Chain Triglycerides (if length of fat chain, I believe, is in the C-6 to C-12 range, it is medium)

Usually it is coconut oil, which I think is C-8.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Medium Chain Triglycerides

Ah! I know what those are; just didn't realize they were a thing you could buy and directly add to drinks. :smile:
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    LaReinaDeCorazones Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My mom makes her own BPC...I tried it once, made my stomach hurt
  • nvmomketo
    edited November 2016
    Options

Citations, please?

No. I don't book mark sites for other people to read. You'll have to look into it. Or not. I'm not in this thread to convince anyone.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I did B) I had a major caffeine buzz from this drink, I guess that's the whole point of BP coffee. Coffee with fat and no sleep!
  • Yoyo_Fitness
    Yoyo_Fitness Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 the quality of the beans and the roast. they use dark roasted beans with lots of acidity so it always gave me a bit of tummy ache. they do this to hide the inferior quality of the beans. I found a great organic coffee from a local farmer (I live in Thailand btw) and his beans are much milder and lovely! Somehow I get bloated with milk, but by mixing ghee (butter minus lactose & casein) and MCT oil with coffee (more like blending it), it makes it very creamy and yummy, I was very skeptical but it really is delicious! and since it makes it so mild, no need to add sugar.

This fasting does have a metabolic purpose though. I know many people who train without any food in the tummy and it burns fat efficiently. I tried it but man, it is hard! I got too hungry. The bulletproof coffee makes it easier - it makes you full until lunch time AND it does not break the ketosis, where your body continues to burn fat instead of sugar. As far as your brain is concerned, it will be running on ketones instead of glucose, so you won't experience the drops in energy level. Your blood sugar remains at the same level throughout the day. I used to have normal breakfast like yoghurt, fruits, oats and stuff. then your blood sugar level rises, you get the 'sugar kick' you get tired, I need more coffee, and get cravings for some snacks and sweets. hahaha.

I read lots of books and I am convinced of the overall health benefits of being on a cyclical ketogenic diet and the Bulletproof coffee is excellent :)

@VintageFeline here you can read about it. basically it is special kind of medium chained fat which is not stored as fat in your body, but rather, used immediately to boost energy. it turns into ketones, like super high efficient fuel for your brain. if you have those 'brain fog' and you just wanna take a nap, take a teaspoon of it, you feel awake! https://blog.bulletproof.com/what-is-mct-oil-vs-coconut-oil/
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Citations, please?

No. I don't book mark sites for other people to read. You'll have to look into it. Or not. I'm not in this thread to convince anyone.

Don't make medical claims you're not willing to back up.

LOL Or else? :D

I've backed it up before. Probably to the same group of people too. That was enough for me.