Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Gamliela wrote: »
    The logic to me.. is to keep yourself in a fat burning state after fasting during sleep. If you eat any carb your body comes out of the fat burning fasting state. So, in theory. you drink coffee with butter, or coconut oil it keeps your body during fat until you eat at lunch. I learned this from my intermittent fasting group.. where some do this in the mornings.

That's all I can dish on the subject.. Iv'e never done it.

Is this true? I mean about the fat burning state, coffee, fat and fasting after sleep?
    Carbs stop fat burning in the day time?

Not completely, or all day long, and also it doesn't matter. You burn the same amount of calories over time, and if there is a deficit the extra will come from bodyfat (mostly). The timing of when you burn it is irrelevant.

It's true that you burn more fat if you eat fewer carbohydrates and more fat.

However you're also eating more fat.

The end result is not going to be more body fat being burned if we are comparing identical calories and protein intake.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    The logic to me.. is to keep yourself in a fat burning state after fasting during sleep. If you eat any carb your body comes out of the fat burning fasting state. So, in theory. you drink coffee with butter, or coconut oil it keeps your body during fat until you eat at lunch. I learned this from my intermittent fasting group.. where some do this in the mornings.

Is this true? I mean about the fat burning state, coffee, fat and fasting after sleep?

Not completely, or all day long, and also it doesn't matter. You burn the same amount of calories over time, and if there is a deficit the extra will come from bodyfat (mostly). The timing of when you burn it is irrelevant.

The end result is not going to be more body fat being burned if we are comparing identical calories and protein intake.

Am I dense? I'm still not getting it. sorry. Mor explanation maybe?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yep.

It's analogous to the argument that you burn more fat if you do fasted cardio (or, sigh, work out in the "fat burning zone"). While exercising, sure, but over the course of the day you are going to burn what you eat plus, if there is a deficit, additional body fat. Can't burn body fat without being at a deficit, and you won't add net fat if you are at a deficit, it's just going to affect the timing of what you are burning.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    Fat gives you a satisfied full feeling. It keeps the hunger pains away.

Depends on the person. This is not true for me. (I wish people would stop making general pronouncements about satiety when people vary.)
    You body can't store the fat you eat.

?? Sure it can, easily.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't see why it would be unhealthy, but it is the most bizarre concept I've ever heard of. It totally beats out drinking kale on the weird food idea scale.

It really isn't any odder than putting cow breast milk and evaporated beet juice in your coffee. ;) It's more a matter of what you are used to.

Things become more bizarre the less familiar they are?!? You're kidding! ;)

I don't think there is such a thing as cow breast milk since cows don't have breasts.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    Fat gives you a satisfied full feeling. It keeps the hunger pains away. You body can't store the fat you eat.

I'm on a Keto/Low Carb High Fat diet. I am losing weight, feel great and am able to work out in ways that I haven't been able to since I was a kid.

Every morning I put whipping cream into my coffee. It tastes just awesome. I often don't have lunch until 2:00 pm in the afternoon but I WILL eat lunch as soon as I get hungry. Some days I eat at 11:00 am.

On Sunday (yesterday), after my coffee, I worked out in the pool for 1 hour (3.2 km) then got on the treadmill for another 2 hours (4 mph/8 degrees). I was played-out when I was I done.

I had lunch at 1:00 pm. Dinner the night before was 7:00 pm.

That is the advantage of being in KETO. You get your energy from stored fat rather than from consumed carbs. I've got 210,000 calories of stored energy on my body that I am now able to access.

I've lost about 100 lbs over the last 9 months and don't struggle at all with what I am eating. Who can argue with whipping cream in their coffee.

For me, Bullet Proof coffee gives me a satisfied full feeling while a carb breakfast just makes me want to eat more.

I wouldn't change back for the world.

While I am still 240 lbs, my blood pressure is awesome, my resting heart rate is in the high 50's, and I am able to work out for 3 hours in a row and I get to eat full satisfying meals.

It won't be long and I will be at my target weight. I can't imagine ever going back to a traditional diet though.

You should really try and research some more. because... :(
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I don't see why it would be unhealthy, but it is the most bizarre concept I've ever heard of. It totally beats out drinking kale on the weird food idea scale.

It really isn't any odder than putting cow breast milk and evaporated beet juice in your coffee. ;) It's more a matter of what you are used to.

Things become more bizarre the less familiar they are?!? You're kidding! ;)

I don't think there is such a thing as cow breast milk since cows don't have breasts.

I am now as udderly confused as you :p

ETA. Do beets have breast?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Am I dense? I'm still not getting it. sorry. Mor explanation maybe?

It affects timing -- you mostly burn fat when sleeping, but if you eat carbs you will burn those instead and less fat for a while (how long depends on the amount of carbs, size of the meal, etc.).

Then you will go back to burning more fat, if not moving vigorously. When moving vigorously your percentage of fat burned will go down again and you will rely more on glycogen.

But all of this is about timing, not body fat burned.

Oversimplifying for the example, let's take two people who eat 1500 calories and burn about 500 calories every day for a week. One eats no breakfast and about 60% fat (or 900 calories). The other eats breakfast and about 20% fat (or 300 calories). In a week, the first one will have burned about 1400 calories of fat on average per day, whereas the second will have burned about 800 calories of fat per day, and they will have burned the fat at different times (the first person probably more in the morning), but both will have lost 1 lb and burned the same amount of net fat (fat above what they ate). The first person burned more fat because she ate more fat.

Does that make sense?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's good or bad- it's just a matter of whether it helps you meet your goals or not
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Man, people will do just about anything...to do very little in the way of make true changes.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Well.... perhaps I am wrong... but I don't think so.

Dietary fat CANNOT and DOES NOT get stored as fat in the body.

It takes a ton of energy for your body to convert protein into fat that can be stored. In fact, only about 333 calories from each 1000 calorie portion will be stored. The other 667 calories will be burned in the transition.

However, fat contains a LOT of calories. If you consume fat, and you have a surplus of calories, your body will work very hard to store all those carbs and proteins.

Go ahead and google... "Why Fat does not make you fat" or "Can fat make you fat", or "Does dietary fat make you fat" etc.

Go for it. It was an eye opener for me. Changed the way I look at food.

If you like it what I said... just ignore.

But the idea that dietary fat turns into body fat quickly and easily is just wrong.

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's good or bad- it's just a matter of whether it helps you meet your goals or not

Agreed. I eat strictly keto (very low carbs, high fat, moderate/adequate protein), but don't drink BPC. I figure some people must like it. I gladly put a splash of heavy cream in my morning joe, which I find tastier than an equal calorie portion of fat free non dairy creamer. But, I'd rather use my butter to cook my eggs ;)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    OMG just let me eat in a calorie deficit to lose weight! All this majoring in the minors is seriously making my head hurt :noway:

Yup, so much this. It's interesting, but really, a calorie deficit is what matters. A particular macro breakdown is not going to allow you to cheat your body somehow and magically eat unlimited amounts and not gain (whether it's the claim that you can't put on weight eating fat (church of LCHF) or that you can't put on weight eating carbs (church of HCLF, see, e.g., McDougall)). It may make it easier for YOU specifically to stick to a calorie deficit, so all should experiment to see how they enjoy eating and what makes it easier for them.